No announcement yet.

Third place play offs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me too after parallel universe wins against Wales and Belgium before gallant defeat to yer Portuguese

Comment

The Euro 1980 third place game ended up something like 9-8 on penalties. The Czechs must have thought they were invincible at them.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
        Famously of course, it was tried in the FA Cup and didn't last long.

If there was a tangible prize attached - like automatic qualification for the next tournament - it would obviously be taken more seriously but that's not going to happen given that the holders don't even get that now.
        There was also, of course, a play-off at the Euros between 1960 and 1980: this was abandoned after the protracted penalty shoot-out in the latter tournament. (From what I can recall, the BBC cancelled their scheduled live broadcast of that game a couple of days before, and showed a film instead.)

(Edit: Delayed cross-post, but you get the idea.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
          There was also, of course, a play-off at the Euros between 1960 and 1980: this was abandoned after the protracted penalty shoot-out in the latter tournament. (From what I can recall, the BBC cancelled their scheduled live broadcast of that game a couple of days before, and showed a film instead.)

(Edit: Delayed cross-post, but you get the idea.)
          Confirmed by the internet's biggest time-sinking rabbit hole.

I'd forgotten there were no semi finals.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
            Me too after parallel universe wins against Wales and Belgium before gallant defeat to yer Portuguese
            Hang on, even in your daydreams you lose in the semi-finals?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
              The Euro 1980 third place game ended up something like 9-8 on penalties. The Czechs must have thought they were invincible at them.
              Still are, in fact. Played 3, won 3 (1996 Euro Semi in addition to '76 and '90). In fact it goes further than that - the full record is taken 20, scored 20.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                Famously of course, it was tried in the FA Cup and didn't last long.
                When? That is truly shocking, if so. Mainly because I don't remember it.

Comment

Originally posted by Бога Нет View Post
                  Hang on, even in your daydreams you lose in the semi-finals?
                  This time 4 years ago I was daydreaming about 4th place in qualifying. We'd won 3 games of 42 since summer 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Chemin-de-fairy View Post
                    When? That is truly shocking, if so. Mainly because I don't remember it.
                    1970 to 1974, I'll let WSC explain.

Comment

ITV showed highlights of the 1978 one because it is on YouTube with commentary by Gerald Sindstadt.

Comment

Everton played Stoke at Selhurst Park in 1971 and Arsenal played Wolves at Highbury in 1973 are the only two third place games I can remember.

Comment

I quite enjoyed the '94 third-place game only because it reinforced my sneaking suspicion that the Swedes had been missing a trick by not starting an electric youngster named Henrik Larsson in their other matches. He was the the flash-paper for them running over Bulgaria in that first half.

Comment

As it's now a Premier League pre-season friendly, expect the tough tackles to be highly selective. Stones on Fellaini, not De Bruyne.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                              ITV showed highlights of the 1978 one because it is on YouTube with commentary by Gerald Sindstadt.
                              Yes, sorry - my earlier post may (or may not) have been a little confusing. That one was shown live on ITV, with Ian St John as the 'expert'.

(Since 1998, ITV has shown all the play-offs live.)

Comment

Do the England and Belgium squads really want to play this game? I imagine the reserves will be up for it but the first elevens are shattered. Kane and Lukaku have the Golden Boot incentive and maybe Kane feels he needs a good performance after being poor by his standards in the semi.

It may also be very hot given the kickoff time. And there is much less of a rest period before next season that was the case in 1978, say, when the game was on June 24th.
                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 12-07-2018, 10:29.

Comment

Likelihood is that, in both teams' cases, the 'big hitters' will start on the bench and, if required, be given a run-out late on.

I reckon Harry's Golden Boot is safe, but who knows?

Comment

Lukaku would surely have to play more as a centre forward than he did in the last two rounds where he was out wide for tactical reasons.

Comment

I'm hoping for a poor England performance. Not that I dislike them, I just fancy watching an Ian Wright / Roy Keane square-go. Don't take a Keane victory for granted, he might get a bit complacent.

Comment

Working...
                                      X