What they did next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What they did next

I presume some of the 736 players at this World Cup have already gone back to the day job.

Do we know who was the first to return to club football? The very early rounds in the Champions League and Europa league qualifiers, albeit in nations that did not qualify, have started, so anyone doubling-up there?

I bet there would be some fascinating stories of players having to adjust from the World Cup hoopla to playing in low-key league games back in the day job. Some must have returned to MLS action?

Aníbal Godoy of Panama played for San Jose Earthquakes on Sunday against Portland Timbers.

Comment

Carlos Vela and Marco Ureña both came on as substitutes for LAFC in their recent win over Orlando City.

I would imagine that they are not the only ones.

Comment

albeit in nations that did not qualify

Croatia, Poland, Sweden, Denmark and Serbia all have club teams in action this midweek.

edit: and Iceland.

Comment

In the preview for Cork city v Legia Warsaw it said that Legia had two players in the Poland squad but they wouldn't be available until the second leg next week

Comment

Ronaldo has signed for Juventus, apparently. So he's going to be moving house.

Comment

Bonus prize for the first person to find members of a "tightly-knit team" having a set-to when they line up for their clubs.

Comment

It's usually USA players who are first to play after WC elimination, going straight back to MLS. As noted above, Iceland play summer football.

The Japanese league resumes 8 days from today. Not sure if Iniesta will start straight away. Ditto Paulinho, Chinese league.
                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 11-07-2018, 00:00.

Comment

I am trying to monitor the Iniesta arriving at Vissel Kobe situation, as he could theoretically play the team down the road next Wednesday. I do not think it looks likely though. (Anyone with a better in to the news, feel free to correct me.)

Comment

Originally posted by matt j View Post
                    I am trying to monitor the Iniesta arriving at Vissel Kobe situation, as he could theoretically play the team down the road next Wednesday. I do not think it looks likely though. (Anyone with a better in to the news, feel free to correct me.)

Aug 11th at home to Jubilo Iwata. A shame as my local team, FC Tokyo, play Kobe on Aug 5th, and I'd hoped I might Iniesta play.
                    I saw Podoloski play for Kobe against Tokyo last season in one of his first games and he was hilariously bad. He didn't have a good start in the J-League at all and in interviews said it was because the standard of his his teammates was not good enough. I expect Iniesta will be a bit more diplomatic.

Fernando Torres has just today been announced as signing for Sagan Tosu. Tosu is a v small town in Kysushu. There'd been talk Bielsa might attract Torres to Leeds.
                    Last edited by Haddock; 11-07-2018, 01:24.

Comment

Kendall Waston CB for Costa Rica played for Vancouver Whitecaps on July 1st, four days after he scored against Switzerland.
                      Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 11-07-2018, 00:49.

Comment

double post, sorry
                        Last edited by Haddock; 11-07-2018, 01:25.

Comment

Thanks Haddock. I figured there must be news somewhere.

To be fair to Sagan Tosu, they seem to have the catchment area for all of Saga prefecture locked up (according to locals here), just like V Varen is supposed to be for all of Nagasaki prefecture. That being said, I cannot imagine Torres living anyplace but Fukuoka while he is here. Saga is about as agricultural rural as you can find.

The more I look and think about it, it is a very interesting choice for Torres. The team is currently in 2nd from bottom, not really looking much of a challenger for anything. I feel like there is some other aspect I am missing.

TIL: Torres apparently has a tattoo in Tengwar (Tolkien).
                          Last edited by matt j; 11-07-2018, 05:39.

Comment

Working...
                          X