Best Last 16 and QFs since..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Last 16 and QFs since..?

These rounds have tended to disappoint in the recent past. This year the top half has been generally very good and the bottom half poor to abysmal.

This makes comparisons to 'normal' years difficult but I would say that I've enjoyed these phases more this year than any of the previous 4, so 1998 would be the thread answer for me.

1994, I recall as having particularly entertaining knockout matches - until the last four, anyway.

Comment

I remember Bulgaria v Germany. Was that the QF?

Comment

Yes

Comment

The QFs in 2010 were pretty good
          Netherlands 2 Brazil 1
          Uruguay 1 Ghana 1 (the Suarez game)
          Germany 4 Argentina 0
          Spain 1 Paraguay 0
          (that last one being the possible exception)

Comment

Spain/Paraguay was nevertheless a compelling match - two missed penalties in normal time, IIRC?

Paraguay could very easily have progressed against the 'unplayable' champions-elect.
            Last edited by Jah Womble; 09-07-2018, 14:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
              1994, I recall as having particularly entertaining knockout matches
              With Leonardo of Brazil taking this to the extreme in their 1-0 win over the USA. Still remember Kevin Keegan trying to defend him on that and Brian Moore disagreeing with him.

Comment

Was that the game he tried to take Tab Ramos' head off? He should have been given a far longer ban than 4 games; Tassotti of Italy deservedly got 8 for a similar offence in the same tournament.

Comment

Given what else occurred during that World Cup, an elbow to the head was pretty small beer...

Comment

Working...
                  X