Kicker's Team of the QFs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kicker's Team of the QFs

Courtois - Lindelöf, Varane, Maguire, Vida - Kante, Modric, Cheryshev, De Bruyne - Griezmann, Hazard

Granqvist would appear the obvious Swede to pick for a Tournament XI, and Lingard has been one of England's outstanding midfielders.

No room for Lukaku? Harsh.

Comment

has Lingard been better than Modric or De Bruyne?

Comment

Lindelof was an odd choice ahead of Trippier.

Comment

Four centre backs, one of whom is a Swede who conceded twice to headers, and as noted was outshone by his partner anyway.

Not sure what more Pickford could have done - clean sheet and 3 x world class saves - to oust Courtois. Grown a couple of inches, perhaps?

Comment

Kicker conspiracy!

Comment

Pick a bunch of names from the score sheet and slot them in somewhere. Team selected by a busy primary school teacher.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                Four centre backs, one of whom is a Swede who conceded twice to headers, and as noted was outshone by his partner anyway.

Not sure what more Pickford could have done - clean sheet and 3 x world class saves - to oust Courtois. Grown a couple of inches, perhaps?
                Courtois performance against Brazil will in due course attain the status of legendary. Pickford played very well, of course, but there's no way past Courtois against Brazil.

kicker's team is largely defensible; obviously these things can never be definitive, even as some names are pretty much consensus (Courtois and Hazard). kicker will have gone by the ratings they issue, and if there were players on the same rating, probably by pot luck.

All the same, the selection of Lindelöf is bizarre. As would be that of Maguire, had he not scored a goal.

Comment

Has Griezeman really done that much. Take a pot shot at goal that the keeper dropped, looked decent when 2-0 up and... what?

Comment

Griezmann: goal plus assist. No other striker did that, as my fantasy points testified

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                      Courtois performance against Brazil will in due course attain the status of legendary. Pickford played very well, of course, but there's no way past Courtois against Brazil.

kicker's team is largely defensible; obviously these things can never be definitive, even as some names are pretty much consensus (Courtois and Hazard). kicker will have gone by the ratings they issue, and if there were players on the same rating, probably by pot luck.

All the same, the selection of Lindelöf is bizarre. As would be that of Maguire, had he not scored a goal.
                      The media up here are all about Pickford. Courtois's performance just gets an appreciative nod

Comment

Pickford has been consistently good all tournament. Courtois was great in the QF but arguably at fault for both Japan's goals

Comment

I thought they were both well finished goals, the second in particular was hit "like an arrow" to quote the UK commentary. I don't recall any sense at the time that Courtois was at fault.

Comment

I'd say he didn't get down fast enough. Too tall perhaps.

Comment

The second Japan goal definitely felt like something Courtois could have saved. IIRC he wasn't unsighted and took an age to get down.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                Pickford has been consistently good all tournament. Courtois was great in the QF but arguably at fault for both Japan's goals
                                But this is about the team of the QF, not the team of the tournament.

Comment

Yeah, I know. But the conversation seemed to have moved on to a more general discussion

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                    The media up here are all about Pickford.
                                    I don't get that, particularly in a neutral(ish) country. Pickford's saves against Sweden were obviously entirely competently done but none struck me as massively outstanding. Rather they were ones you would expect an International class 'keeper to make. The praise of him in the UK press and TV had a slightly hysterical feel.

Comment

Yes but we are, after all, the country that gave you Rob Green against the USA and David Seaman against Brazil. An England keeper making saves at vital moments is a bit of a novelty.

Comment

The German commentators and pundits on ZDF and ARD have so far made no jokes or comments about English goalkeeping, which is something of a breakthrough.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                          I don't get that, particularly in a neutral(ish) country. Pickford's saves against Sweden were obviously entirely competently done but none struck me as massively outstanding. Rather they were ones you would expect an International class 'keeper to make. The praise of him in the UK press and TV had a slightly hysterical feel.
                                          I dunno, at least one of them I thought was incredibly impressive (though i can't tell you from whom and when it occurred any more)

Comment

The save from the header right at the start of the second half was excellent.

Comment

Yeah, very good saves, but no "how the fuck did he do that?" moments. He looks like a solid goalkeeper who will likely deliver some of those moments. Or he'll let a ball slip through his legs against Croatia and will be destroyed for it.

On a different note, he does not have an immediately likable face, young Pickford.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                                I think (and I can't compare the performances) it's because the guy who's a relative midget, by modern goalkeeping standards, is always going to get more cred than the one who's over six and a half feet tall.

Comment

Pickford looks like he should be saying "Look after your car for a quid, Mister" outside the stadium.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X