Belgium '86 vs Belgium 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belgium '86 vs Belgium 2018

Up until 48 hours ago, the Belgian squad that reached the 1986 semi-finals would have enjoyed unquestioned GOAT status, but with the current squad having equalled that achievement, and having a realistic chance of surpassing it, how do OTF veterans rate both teams? I remember Scifo from USA 94, and Ceulemans enjoyed legendary status in his day, but does the edge in terms of overall strength in depth belong to the current crop?

This squad is better but I think less well managed

Comment

The 1986 Belgian side were Goat slayers. Took apart the best Soviet side since 1966, then beat the best side Spain had assembled to date on penalties. Curiously, those 3 all shared the distinction of losing Euro finals in the 1980s.

Comment

The 1986 team smuggled themselves out of their group as one of the best 3rd-placed teams. A defeat against Mexico, an unconvincing 2-1 win against Iraq, and a workman-like draw against Paraguay in which they twice surrendered their lead. In today's money, they'd gave been long home, welcomed at the airport by fans throwing rotten waffles at them.

In fairness, that game against the USSR is a classic, and their win against a very good Spain well-deserved.

Belgium 1986 had some very good players, but only one who was truly world-class: Jean-Marie Pfaff. Ceuelmans was superb, Gerets was a great defender, Scifo had class. Players like Verauteren, Mommens, Franky van der Elst, Vandenbergh, and Claesen were pretty good players, but no superstars.

But Belgium 2018 is a different proposition, with 3-4 real world-class players. Hazard, De Bruyne and Courtois are world class, as is Lukaku in Belgium's shirt. And the supporting cast is pretty useful all around.

Comment

I loved Cuelemans as a player,he looked like a Cascarinoesque big lump up front but he was a hell of a lot more,the current squad is more balanced and have a better chance to go all the way

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
            This squad is better but I think less well managed
            Where does this come from, though? From the vantage point of my personal opinion infused with the media I'm reading, Martinez is doing a good job this tournament.

Comment

I do remember them playing very well against Argentina for a long period of the 1986 SF. But I wouldn't put myself on the witness stand, given my feelings about Argentina at that moment. More than a little prejudiced.

Comment

Constant Vanden Stock wasn't just fixing games for anderlecht in the 80's. I feel considerably more comfortable about the current team.

Comment

This is the first game I can remember watching. It contains two of the best headed goals I've ever seen. It's pretty much all been downhill since then.

Comment

Are you smarter than a Belgian footballer? Do you want to be on Fellaini's team?

Try their trivia quiz.

(source: Guardian, filling in a blank day)

Comment

A number of teams under-performed in 1986, opening the door for a Belgian side that grew stronger after losing its opening game to the hosts. (Agree that the last-sixteen victory over the USSR was one of the great World Cup matches.) All that said, I rated the 1990 squad as better all-round than that of four years previously.

Neither compares with the current Belgium, however, which has incredible quality from the back line forward. (A side that contains De Bruyne and Hazard has to be considered the greater, doesn't it?)

Comment

Teams underperforming in the group, squeaking by and then managing to make it deep into the tournament seems to be a feature of the 24 team format.

Italy actually finished 2nd in their group in 1982, but were utterly abject. Three draws and only advancing on goals scored over Cameroon. Belgium in 1986. Argentina in 1990 finished 3rd in their group. Italy in 1994 only advanced due to more goals scored than Norway.

And Portugal won Euro 2016 as a third-placed group team.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                          Teams underperforming in the group, squeaking by and then managing to make it deep into the tournament seems to be a feature of the 24 team format.

Italy actually finished 2nd in their group in 1982, but were utterly abject. Three draws and only advancing on goals scored over Cameroon. Belgium in 1986. Argentina in 1990 finished 3rd in their group. Italy in 1994 only advanced due to more goals scored than Norway.

And Portugal won Euro 2016 as a third-placed group team.
                          Indeed. The main benefit of the 24-team-format's existence was that it all but eliminated dead rubbers in the third group matches.

Comment

In this tournament best 3rd teams have given second chances to Iran, Senegal and Nigeria, but would they have qualified for a 24 team finals?

However my memory is that it gave second chances to poor sides like Poland in 1986 and Uruguay 1990, creating last 16 dead wood.

Comment

Uruguay 1986 as well. After they got destroyed by Denmark.

Comment

Holland in 1990 got through in third place, to set up a salivating clash with Germany.

You knew that already, I just had to get the pun in.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                  Uruguay 1986 as well. After they got destroyed by Denmark.
                                  Yes, there 'was' something faintly ridiculous about that.

Comment

Working...
                                  X