You, me and PPV: CRO-ENG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
    Croatia to change, England in all-white. Unsatisfactory, but once again shows that the FA are missing a trick in not having a navy and sky blue (or sky and navy blue, according to preference) third kit which would have solved this one. So many teams play in red/white that this will always happen.

Are third kits allowed in international tournaments?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post

That first image would make a satisfyingly difficult spot the ball competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Бога Нет View Post
        Are third kits allowed in international tournaments?
        Well, it just talks about official and reserve equipment. But England already have three colours of shorts here (blue, white, red) so I can't see why three kits would be a problem.

Comment

Yeah, they allow for alternate shorts but I can’t ever recall an actual third shirt/kit before - save for unplanned ones like France’s borrowed green & white stripes.

Comment

I think you're right. A shame, in a way, as otherwise we'd get to see up to 96 new kits in a mad frenzy of polyester. I suppose it shows that actually blue is probably a more useful 'reserve' colour than red is, though.

Comment

Spain and adidas had to rustle up white kits at short notice to play the netherlands: They wore all white, all red and all black in their ill-fated defence of the trophy.

One world cup 06? 10? Umbro were certainly selling England blue third shirts- they never used them though, not even in a friendly I don't think.

Brazil had an all olive green 'surf' type third kit for 2014, but I dunno how serious that was, as in, would they ever have considered/been allowed to wear it in a game.

Comment

Why nike haven't done France a change shirt in green and white stripes is beyond me.

Comment

Ah, of course, good call on Spain 2010.

Of course, this all goes to illustrate further that third kits are a scam and more thought about potential clashes should be put in to designing change kits.

Do we know who the first club to sell a third kit were, my prejudiced guess would be Man United.

Comment

One of my best mates has gone on holiday to Croatia. He's not interested in football so I texted him to check he knew about Wednesday. Turns out he did already know.

Comment

Wikipedia suggests that third kits go back to the 30s, but does not provide examples. They do, however, note that Manchester United wore one in the 1948 FA Cup Final against Blackpool and that Arsenal did so two years later against Liverpool.

My guess would be that earlier examples tended to be the result of predominantly red or blue clubs with a white change kit playing at a club that wore stripes.

Comment

Yeah, I suspected they might have been needed on certain occasions for some time - I was intrigued as to who first decided to monetise it and make it the norm.
                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 09-07-2018, 13:13.

Comment

I'll just put this picture of Mandzukic out relaxing while you talk about pre-war 3rd kits.

Comment

Historical Football Kits has adidas introducing a blue third for Manchester United in 80-81, which strikes me as a good candidate. They certainly weren’t common on the continent at that time.

Comment

Good pic of Mandzukic with a horse

Comment

ISWYDT

Comment

IDDA

Comment

Always knew I could count on the Scottish support cometh semi.

Comment

I've only just cottoned on to the fact that the post-World Cup fixtures are no longer Euro qualifiers. The winners used to have a decent period to enjoy the hangover, doing a lap of honour before a San Marino game. Instead, World Champions England are going to be embarrassed by Croatia (and Spain) before the leaves have fallen, and the FA will have to give Sir Gareth a vote of confidence.

So let England have this one, it won't last.

Comment

Not sure. I think the Nations League for the first tier countries is just an insurance policy for if they then mess up the groups, which World champs should not do.

There's also the perverse disincentive that relegation gets you an easier path next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
                                          Always knew I could count on the Scottish support cometh semi.

We are ALL tablecloth bastards!
                                          Nous sommes tous des salauds de nappe!

Comment

On the subject of the "who are they?" question about this set of England players, who were they in 1966? Bobby Charlton was sort of the Wayne Rooney starlet of his day but hadn't had any international club success post-Munich yet (that came later in 1968). Bobby Moore had won a Cup-Winners' Cup, and no-one had heard of Geoff Hurst. Roger Hunt had won the league with Liverpool but that made him the Jamie Vardy of his day. And Gordon Banks was four years away from the save that made his reputation. This bunch of players have every right to step up like that lot did.

Comment

I have a sartorial factoid about Croatia. The word 'cravat' for a necktie came from the wide neck ties worn by Croat (Hravat) traders.

Comment

Actually, Croatian soldiers in Napoleon's army and the French liked it so much they spread it as fashion.

Comment

I have another one for you.

The word pen comes from a Slavoljub Penkala. Inventor of the fountain pen.

Comment

And a third. Croatians invented something called rakija. If you're ever down there and and are served this by your hosts, the shots will never stop coming and you will wake up in a letter box without any memories of yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X