No announcement yet.

Your Favourite Player of Each Tournament You Have Seen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zoff messed up against Holland in 1978 but redeemed himself v 1982 Brazil.

Comment

86 - Lineker*
      90 - Baggio
      94 - Hagi
      98 - Denis Bergkamp! Denis Bergkamp! Denis Bergkamp!
      02 - Ahn Jung-hwan / Ronaldo (the hair!)
      06 - Pirlo
      10 - Asamoah Gyan
      14 - James Rodriguez
      18 - Hirving Lozano (so far)

* Although, see below. My seven year old self became convinced that two such terrifying human beings would clearly, clearly win the World Cup probably by having the monsters hiding in their beards eating all opponents. That Panini album is the reason why '86 remains my favourite World Cup.

https://twitter.com/gedgie/status/649947759051718656

Comment

Any mysterious unsolved murders in Mexico that month?

Comment

1974 - Johan Cruijff
          1978 - Rob Rensenbrink
          1982 - Socrates
          1986 - Diego Maradona
          1990 - Roger Milla
          1994 - Roberto Baggio
          1998 - Lilian Thuram
          2002 - Ronaldinho
          2006 - Andrea Pirlo
          2010 - Andres Iniesta
          2014 - Lionel Messi

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
            Any mysterious unsolved murders in Mexico that month?
            If there were, I fear the evidence may be lost - aged 15, and therefore senseless to, well, everything, I chucked my unfinished Mexico '86 album away. It's one of my biggest regrets.

Comment

Sallai looks like the bloke Disztl and Roth would have shoved in the boot of the Merc, rolled up in an offcut of carpet.

Comment

1990 - Nestor Sensini, yes, he gave up the PK that Germany won the final on; still, he was the personification of the Latin American defender, rugged, not above a bit of rough play, yet still quite talented technically and a cerebral defender. Not dissimilar to Godin and an example of the kind of player that the current Argentina clearly lacks.

1994 - Klas Ingesson, the Volvo block that drove that fantastic Swedish team (although I maintain they might have had a chance against Brazil in the semifinal if they'd only brought on an electric youngster with dreadlocks for the stuck-in-second-gear Martin Dahlin). Ingesson was a fantastic holding/defensive midfielder as he later proved in Serie A with Bari and Bologna. He was also the spit of Max Von Sydow in the Seventh Seal and when he retired he became a lumberjack. Cancer took him at 46, far too young.

1998 - While That Goal by Dennis Bergkamp definitely features hugely, it's actually Edgar Davids who was my favorite player in France. A combination of sartorial appeal (the glasses, the hair) and the nature of his play, the aggressive, box-to-box driving, the potential for just about anything (a great tackle, a horrendous mistake, a thunderous drive) has made him one of my favorite players over the years and his performance in this Cup was excellent, the apex being the injury-time winner against Yugoslavia.

2002 - Hasan Şaş was deservedly put into the team of the tournament as he was electric pretty much whenever he got the ball, one of those moments where a winger just catches absolute fire that become almost like a force of nature, your hair prickles up a bit whenever they get the ball and you can feel the soul of the fullback curling up like a Shrinky-Dink. Plus he had a good look, the mad bald bastard.

2006 - Antonio Valencia. In high school I spent a month in Ecuador and as such, have always had a bit of fondness for the country. At this time one of my co-workers became good friends and as his father was a International School principal in his youth, he had his favorites from the countries he'd grown up in -- Croatia, the Netherlands, and Ecuador. Valencia is almost certainly the greatest footballer that Ecuador has ever produced, hyped as Villereal's own 'galactico' at the start of his career and then turning into a does-it-all-only-with-just-one-foot right-sided midfielder for Wigan and then Manchester United. This was a pretty forgettable Cup for me (Pekerman torpedoing his own team's chances with craven decisions, Italy winning after a gift penalty against the Aussies and Zidane's Final Moment) and this is about as good as it got for me, I'm afraid.

2010 - Carles Puyol. For that header. And for meeting Spanish royalty after the game in only a towel and being embarrassed about it. I don't think it's a coincidence that Spain have gone off the boil since his retirement. I used to listen to metal before rugby matches to get myself ready to play, learning that Puyol did the same (and with Napalm Death and the Ramones, supposedly) always endeared him to me and seeing him be a huge part of pushing Spain over the edge after so many years felt pretty good.

2014 - Toni Kroos. The right player in the right team at the right time, I think this tournament and especially his part in the Mineirazo, is an example of somebody operating at their peak. He'll always be wearing that Flamengo-esque second jersey in my memories.

2018 - Haven't decided yet.

Comment

1970 - Allan Clarke
                  1974 - Johan Neeskens
                  1978 - Luque
                  1982 - Lopez Ufarte!
                  1986 - Alain Giresse
                  1990 - Paul Gascoigne
                  1994 - Trifan Ivanov
                  1998 - Bixente Lizarazu
                  2002 - Michael Ballack.
                  2006 - Philippe Lahm
                  2010 - Xavi
                  2014 - Manuel Neuer
                  2018 - Vincent Kompany (guess).

Comment

"2014 Kuyt - played wherever on the field he was required, and played well. Had the Netherlands qualified for the final, we would have played with eleven Dirk Kuyts“.

That's a really good shout. An angel surrounded by cunts?

Comment

Originally posted by scratchmonkey View Post

1994 - Klas Ingesson, the Volvo block that drove that fantastic Swedish team (although I maintain they might have had a chance against Brazil in the semifinal if they'd only brought on an electric youngster with dreadlocks for the stuck-in-second-gear Martin Dahlin). Ingesson was a fantastic holding/defensive midfielder as he later proved in Serie A with Bari and Bologna. He was also the spit of Max Von Sydow in the Seventh Seal and when he retired he became a lumberjack. Cancer took him at 46, far too young.

Comment

Cheers for that, PPV.

Comment

He wrote a book right before he died. It's quite gripping and good. Only available in Swedish otherwise I'd send you a copy.

Comment

Working...
                          X