Weakest last 8 since...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weakest last 8 since...?

I'm struggling to think of a weaker World Cup Last 8. The Euros perhaps were as weak in 1992.

Thoughts?

Depends how you're defining weakest really. For what it's worth, in the work sweep I included the FIFA rankings of each team on the tabs, so I can confirm that the average ranking of the eight teams is 19 - obviously Russia's lowly ranking of 70 is skewing that. I don't have any comparatives to offer from previous tournaments though. Whether that in itself makes it 'weak' I'm not sure - Switzerland beating Sweden yesterday would have knocked the average down by a couple of points (Switzerland were ranked 6th compared to Sweden's 24th) but not sure that the last eight would have been noticeably stronger as a result.

Euro 1992 wasn't that bad was it? Out of eight teams two were the finalists from the previous tournament, two were semi-finalists in the previous World Cup and Sweden would reach the World Cup semis two years later.

Comment

Probably since 2002 - which featured the USA, South Korea, Senegal and Turkey as well as standard England, pre-success Spain, Germany and Brazil.

Comment

Agreed, Jah; 2002 is the tournament that keeps springing to mind, Brazil winning it without ever being stretched in the knockout stages. Germany, Turkey and South Korea underwhelming semi-finalist to say the least.
        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 04-07-2018, 11:56.

Comment

Working...
        X