No announcement yet.

AEB Scramble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kane's first shot hit the post. His second was deflected up. I'm still not sure that was given offside. I think it went out but the goalie kicked it from the wrong place. The lino flagged after the second shot not the first. He could only be offside for the first one.

Comment

It was his second shot that hit the post. The first one was saved

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
        Kane's first shot hit the post. His second was deflected up. I'm still not sure that was given offside. I think it went out but the goalie kicked it from the wrong place. The lino flagged after the second shot not the first. He could only be offside for the first one.
        His first shot - from about 10 yards out - was saved. He hit the post with the follow-up. The play was restarted from where he hit the first shot.

Comment

England couldn't keep any opposition keepers busy because they just do not have those players. Their only chance was short bursts resulting in set pieces. I still think those bursts were quite impressive and made some opposition defenders shit themselves, such as Lovren, but they never faced a quality defence like France which would have kept them out easily whilst Mbappe and company tore them apart at the other end.

England overall were better than the sum of their parts this tournament whereas in the past they have usually been worse. They would not have made the semis without a piss easy draw but they would still have been competitive for the first time since 2006.

This tournament has also shown why the Golden Boot is a pointless concept. Kane will win it because he is a great penalty taker and England were drawn against the worst side. Goals in the knockout rounds are the true test.
          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 12-07-2018, 12:03.

Comment

Shot against the post doesn't count as in target.

Comment

I had hoped everyone realised that, neither do ones ruled offside - even if that decision looks doubtful.

I liked this today in the Guardian, I think it’s just a reader’s mail ;

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                Shot against the post doesn't count as in target.
                I don't think anyone here thinks otherwise

Comment

Watch the replay, it was on target until Subasic deflected it onto the post with his leg.

Comment

The whole thing has been written off though, because apparently Kane was flagged offside when he clearly wasn't. The linesman didn't flag until the whole thing had finished (as I understand from people here who think this is what happened) because this is what they have been told to do in case VAR proves them wrong. So, if Kane had scored, then the goal would have counted (because VAR would have showed that he was very clearly onside), but because VAR wasn't consulted, then he (from a statistical point of view) actually did nothing in those 20 seconds. Subasic made no saves and Kane made no shots. It was all just an extended period of dead ball action.

Now none of these things matter, because it is only statistics and other than the stat about numbers of goals scored, no statistics actually matter. However, when people use statistics to prove some kind of point "England had no shots on targets except Trippier's, this shows that they created no chances and were effectively completely toothless in attack", then the fact that those statistics are bollocks does make a difference, if only to render their point moot. (Obviously after half time, England were completely hopeless and created nothing, but in the first half they were not)

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
                      Watch the replay, it was on target until Subasic deflected it onto the post with his leg.
                      No, it hit the post then rebounded on to Subasic’s leg and spiraled up in to the air and out.

Comment

Ad hoc’s dead right. The ABE house I was watching in was in full panic mode for 30 mins and had happily settled for 0-1 h-t. Whatever the stats say.

Comment

I saw a slow-mo replay which clearly showed the ball deflect off Subasic's leg on to the post. It then hits his leg again. As ad hoc says, it's a moot point either way really.

Comment

The aerial shot of Kane, Subasic and the gaping near post in yesterday’s Guardian was endlessly amazing- quite HOW it didn’t go in

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                              Ad hoc’s dead right. The ABE house I was watching in was in full panic mode for 30 mins and had happily settled for 0-1 h-t. Whatever the stats say.
                              The ABE collective was in panic mode on this thread during those minutes, not just because England were playing well(ish) but because Croatia were utterly dire and didn't look live ever getting it together. It looked like Sweden reprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                                The aerial shot of Kane, Subasic and the gaping near post in yesterday’s Guardian was endlessly amazing- quite HOW it didn’t go in
                                Also Kane's body angle seems to suggest he was in control of the shot. No scuff or slip as far as I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
                                  I saw a slow-mo replay which clearly showed the ball deflect off Subasic's leg on to the post. It then hits his leg again. As ad hoc says, it's a moot point either way really.
                                  I’d genuinely love to see that replay if you can find it and would stand corrected.

Comment

I've just had a quick look at the MOTD highlights I had default-recorded: it just scuffs keeper's boot on the way to the post

Comment

I did the same but couldn't see a touch, we need some Zapruderesque footage here.

Comment

No prizes for guessing the identity of his English journalist friend.

Comment

Who is it?

Comment

Usually Jonathan Wilson

Comment

Ah, didn't realise that, it makes absolute sense though.

Comment

https://twitter.com/MiguelDelaney/status/1016675409386266624

Comment

Originally posted by Бога Нет View Post
                                                  I’d genuinely love to see that replay if you can find it and would stand corrected.
                                                  Try the side-on reply just after 36 minutes here - he just gets the sole of his boot to the ball to divert it onto the post, it then rebounds back onto his leg and loops over. This is the only angle I've seen where it's apparent - it's almost impossible to detect from the reply behind the goal that was shown immediately after.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X