Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harry Kane - Mick Jagger pronouncing Alex Higgins' nickname

Dele Alli - narrow passage alongside a French food outlet

Neymar - Rab C Nesbitt when asked how much more of Russia v Spain he can stand to watch

Comment

I thought Diego was equivalent to David. I know Iago is James/Jacob so Diego could be a variant.

Comment

I think Diego, Thaigo, Tiago, Iago are all James/Jacob. Santiago is definitely St James

Comment

Correct

Diego is a Spanish and Italian masculine given name. It derives from a re-analysis of Sant Yago (Saint James the Greater) as San Diego.

In Spanish-speaking countries, Diego and Santiago are common as given names; Diego, Santiago and Sandiego are found as surnames. The forms Tiago, Thiago, Diago and Diogo are seen mostly in Portuguese speaking countries. The name Diego can also be found in Italy

Comment

Thinking about Finnish Swedes (Swedish Finns?) led me to playing this song. Varsågod.

Comment

France isn't a happy hunting ground for this, in part because my knowledge of the origins of African names is weak.

Though they are of course led by Didier of the Fields and feature Tony Fortman up front (Griez is derived from Gradec, a type of Slavic hill fort). Benny of the Stones could form a rock hard defence with his English namesake (at least linguistically, they are each better going forward).

Comment

Working...
              X