Shades of Saitama - BELJPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shades of Saitama - BELJPN

No thread for tonight's last 16 match then?

These two teams met in the 2002 World Cup at Saitama, in a match which finished 2-2 in group H, with both teams going through to the second round back then. Marc Wilmots even scored an overhead kick. It was Japan's opening game but, as was the style at the time, hosts had to wait their turn to play their first match and the stadium had already been used by England and Sweden.

(I wonder if that Saitama fixture will be repeated in this tournament, too?)

Comment

3-0 by half-time. Then a snooze, with waves and "can they go all the way?" waffle.

Usual "love to be wrong" disclaimer. Usually am.

Comment

Bit of a height differential between Courtois and Hazard there

Comment

Have we forgiven Japan for their last 10 min in the previous game?

Comment

Nice banner in the stands from Japan, by the way

Comment

I forgave Denmark for the whole 90 mins v France, kind of, but I'm more annoyed that Japan put Senegal out, especially if this game is as one-sided as feared.

Comment

Should've scored.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
                  Forgave them even at the time, because it was a gamble, not just manipulation. Could have gone horribly (hilariously) wrong.

Comment

If Belgium win the World Cup in their first final, will the dutch be happy or annoyed?

Comment

Japan are the last hope of the-confederations-that-aren't-UEFA-or-CONMEBOL

Comment

Japanese fans must be setting a record for "longest trip to see team play in neighbouring country".

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
                          I'm assuming that they were under instruction, otherwise they themselves might still be seeking forgiveness now. Crazy risk to take.

Comment

The ref's from Senegal, tee hee.

Comment

Japanese honesty tonight makes a favourable contrast to Belgian arrogance.

Comment

I love an all red v all blue match up, international football doesn’t have enough of them.

Comment

Japan looking well-organised.

Comment

I need to go do a food shop. This may trigger a goal frenzy.

Comment

Come on Japan, Wales them.

Comment

Suarez would have dived there like a turd from a seagull and claimed penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                          Japanese honesty tonight makes a favourable contrast to Belgian arrogance.
                                          As you posted that a Belgian player was refusing to go down under a potential foul in the box.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                            I need to go do a food shop. This may trigger a goal frenzy.
                                            Get some sushi and chocolate to keep you going through what already looks like inevitable extra time.

Comment

Have to say I don't see much arrogance in the Belgians. Who are you, Nigel Farage?

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                I'm assuming that they were under instruction, otherwise they themselves might still be seeking forgiveness now. Crazy risk to take.
                                                They were under instruction from Nishino, yes.

Comment

He's mad that they stole his name

Comment

Working...
                                                  X