Shades of Saitama - BELJPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Бога Нет View Post
    Terrible to see the Japanese players in tears, Honda appears to have broken down.
    Played.

Comment

Missed this to play 5 a side in Ardwick. Our opposition didn't show so we were awarded a 10-0 walkover and played a friendly instead. I ran the game with intricate passing, setting the tempo (slow, as I'd just eaten two spicy bean burgers with salad in pitta). We got dicked, obv, but at least Fellaini scored, which got a bigger laugh than anything apart from our goalkeeper chipping himself with an overhead kick to score an own goal. Still. Doesn't sound like I missed much.

Comment

What was fabulous about the winning goal was De Bruyne's awareness of the possibility. When the corner comes in he is almost on his own byline. I thought Courtois had saw him on the edge of the box and set it off but it's actually De Bruyne sprinting from deep in his own box that makes the mind up for the keeper.

Comment

According to the BBC report, Vertonghen’s goal was “at 20 yards, the longest headed World Cup goal since those stats were first recorded in 1966.”

Comment

The equaliser and winner were scored by the sons of North African immigrants to Belgium. Which is nice to see, particularly in the current climate.

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
              What was fabulous about the winning goal was De Bruyne's awareness of the possibility. When the corner comes in he is almost on his own byline. I thought Courtois had saw him on the edge of the box and set it off but it's actually De Bruyne sprinting from deep in his own box that makes the mind up for the keeper.
              Huh. Looking at the replay from behind the Japanese goal, I read that the other way around - De Bruyne is originally jogging out of the box, he only breaks into a sprint after Courtois has run forward to the edge of his area and is about to roll it out. Courtois spots the space, De Buryne clocks what was in his mind and goes with it.
              Munier at right-back was full on sprinting from the instant Courtois caught the ball, mind. He understood immediately. Edit - and Chadli, as well. He spins and goes without hesitation.
              Last edited by Janik; 03-07-2018, 07:52.

Comment

It's just a fucking brilliant box to box dying minute goal. My favourite of the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Бога Нет View Post
                  According to the BBC report, Vertonghen’s goal was “at 20 yards, the longest headed World Cup goal since those stats were first recorded in 1966.”
                  In my mind's eye Van Persie's header against Spain in 2014 was outside the area but just checked and it was a mere 15 yards. How things grow in the memory.

Comment

What was the distance on Uwe Seeler's freak header to level the q/f with England in 1970?

Comment

Looking on Youtube, no more than 8 yards or so.

Comment

Indeed, not even close. (Well, too close.)

I checked Colin Clarke's (Norn Iron vs Spain, 1986) as well. Looks to be 13-14 yards.

Comment

Seeler's isn't a freak header. He bloody well meant it. It reminds me of Jared Borghetti's famous one, which like Vertonghen’s did most of it's distance laterally. It won't be from further out, but most have been >10 yards at least seeing as he was outside the near post and put it in the far, at least in my minds eye.

Comment

Belgium deserved the win but Japan will be remembered as a very good side here.

Comment

A quick google shows Borgetti's (sp) header was from near enough the corner of the six-yard box and went just inside the far post.

Some quick triangulation and looking up the measurements say the corner of the six-yard box is 15.2 yards from the far post (8+6 yards in x and 6 yards in y). So around 15 yards in flight, give or take. And also ignoring z because I can't be bothered to factor that in!

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                Seeler's isn't a freak header. He bloody well meant it. It reminds me of Jared Borghetti's famous one, which like Vertonghen’s did most of it's distance laterally. It won't be from further out, but most have been >10 yards at least seeing as he was outside the near post and put it in the far, at least in my minds eye.
                                Seeler meant to head the ball obviously, but I'm not convinced finding the net was intended. Just ask Peter Bonetti. Or better still, don't.

Borgetti's, on the other hand, was probably the best headed goal I've ever seen.

Comment

I still - still - love Andy Carroll's bullet header against Sweden in 2012. *swoon*

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
                                    Belgium are still the opposite to the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
                                    Not on their last goal, or the first two for that matter.

Comment

Working...
                                    X