Two Hours On The Bogota: England v Colombia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam View Post
    The remarkable thing (there are far too many pages of this thread for me to know whether it's already been mentioned) for me has been that for someone who's scored six goals in four matches at a World Cup, Harry Kane has seen absolutely bollocks all of the ball. During extra time he was dropping back to the halfway line to ping passes forward for teammates and I was thinking, hang on, best attacker dropping deep and passing forward to players who won't be able to finish it as well as he could ... where have I seen this before?
    Kane was doing this much earlier than extra time - on ITV Clive was trying to portray it as some clever forward line rotation tactic, but the most it ever did was get England free kicks in different areas from usual.

Comment

Kane was picking up the ball well in the England half very early on. I remember asking aloud what he was doing there.

Comment

I think it's the first time since 1990 v Cameroon that they have been perceived as firm favourites in a QF. My memory of 1996 is that England v Spain was expected to be close and that was how it turned out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
          Except the fucking Aspelund bed.
          OH NO.

Comment

The Irish gave it 12 points

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              bix, there has been some suggestion that the "stack" on corners was pioneered by Lincoln City last season, but I have no direct knowledge as the veracity of that claim.
              Nadeshiko Japan used it sometimes in the 2015 Women's World Cup (to little effect).

Comment

The "not practicing penalties because you can't recreate the pressure" thing is ridiculous, it's like giving someone a rifle and not training them for war because you can't recreate the exact conditions of warfare or giving them a hose and no training and then expecting them to be able to put out a house fire.

What is the most common thing you hear from soldiers (and other professionals put in extreme situations) in combat? They usually say "my training kicked in".

Comment

bix, there has been some suggestion that the "stack" on corners was pioneered by Lincoln City last season, but I have no direct knowledge as the veracity of that claim.
                  Our high school team used it in the late 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                    Even going back to 2006, Peckerman made conservative changes later in the game when the score did not dictate such changes and those moves cost Argentina against Germany. I think he might be a coach that is just good enough but makes the wrong move when the pressure intensifies.
                    That match drove me batty. He had Messi, Aimar, and Saviola on the bench for that game and took Riquelme off for Cambiasso and Crespo off for Julio Fucking Cruz. Completely deserved losses in that game and this one for such lack of courage.

Comment

IIRC, QPR under Venables had a similar tactic in the early 80s, but players sort of burst into a star pattern.

Comment

Would be interesting to see how successfully England defended a corner where Sweden used it (or Belgium)

Comment

In commentary, Glenn Hoddle called England's stack "the love train". Maybe it triggered memories of one of the "niche" holidays in the far east that he looks like he takes.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                            The Irish gave it 12 points
                            How the fuck do you remember a thing like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                              Except the fucking Aspelund bed.
                              Still get night terrors

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
                                How the fuck do you remember a thing like that?
                                Googled it.

Comment

Has the petition to replay the match not been mentioned on here...?

I saw it mentioned on kicker.de when I was finding a pic of the Gladbach '78 kit:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...70000-12858463

Comment

I didn't realize the ABE had that many members.

Comment

They add up, Satchmo

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                        I didn't realize the ABE had that many members.
                                        Oh, there are many of us. More than there are minions and Tactical Genius is our Gru.

Comment

Rather pale for TG

Comment

Hair's right, though.

Comment

Working...
                                            X