The fallen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fallen

14 teams remain. But not the European champions, or South American champions, or both finalists from last time.

Only 3 previous finals featured 2 teams still in this competition (call 1950 a "final"). But only one repeat final is possible (name the year?).

If you award 2 points to the winners and 1 to the runners-up, this "last 14" is missing 36 points worth of previous World Cup finalists. (This may or may not be a record, I'll copy your homework).

1958?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

It is definitely a record just by not having Germany and Italy there, which is 22 points. Previous record presumably 2010, Italy and France.
        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 01-07-2018, 11:58.

Comment

Reviving this thread in light of the big casualties of the last 16 and quarters. Some possible categories to consider:

Self-inflicted defeat: Colombia, Spain

Crucial injury absentee: Colombia, Uruguay

Beaten by the most likely team to win it: Argentina, Uruguay

Reigning European champions syndrome: Portugal

Too dependent on superstar: Argentina, Brazil, Portugal

Basically crap overachiever: Sweden, Switzerland, Russia

Will be remembered fondly, almost made it further than seemed possible : Japan (plus Senegal, Nigeria and Iran in the groups)

Better than at least one of the semi-finalists: highly subjective and probably pointless speculation. Ultimately all the "better than Croatia or England" sides in the top half fucked up in their own way. Spain probably have the best case, denied by VAR.

Comment

Brazil's fans might argue similar following their q/f defeat. (Although a correct call/successful pen would merely have tied matters.)

Comment

I think there's a gap in class after France and Belgium such that the title of third best is a huge number of what ifs. I think England are in that frame, but playing imaginary games against all the others raises more questions than it answers.

My gut feeling is that the fast South American sides would cause them more problems than too slow Spain, Russia, Portugal and Croatia. So by that criterion Uruguay and Brazil are 3 and 4, or joint 3rd. Colombia with better tactics and a fit James against England is also a close call, obviously, but they had their chance and flunked it or were unlucky depending on your POV.

But I can see a lot of counterfactual alternatives.
              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 08-07-2018, 11:44.

Comment

Was thinking could be the first final of non winners in decades but realised it happened as recently as 2010.

Comment

Could be first final since 1934 of teams never previously in a final

Comment

Working...
                  X