Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Yeah, I think that was confirmed while the tournament was still ongoing. I wonder how the appointment has gone down in Spain or if they've all just moved on to the domestic season already.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Luis Enrique is the new boss.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    "Spain wanted to loan Rafael Benitez for the World Cup finals"

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Putin will be loving that.

Strange to think that this already equals Russia's best run in a World Cup since 1966.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    https://twitter.com/Iandennisbbc/status/1013463768385376256

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Thanks for that, their chaotic build up seemed unmentioned in the immediate aftermath of the loss to Russia - which seemed strange given the way their tactics atrophied during the tournament.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    https://twitter.com/migueldelaney/status/1013671642655068160?s=21

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Yes I think a fair bit. The first game is presumably the one that was largely constructed by Lopetegui. After that they responded to some perceived defensive concerns by going back to the way they used to be. Perhaps under Lopetegui they'd have been more secure in the way they'd been playing under him

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Ah, was that out today? Will check it out.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Certainly not the only factor, but a definite factor.

Miguel Delaney had a good piece on this in the Indy

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    So, on reflection, how much, (if at all) do we think did the disruption of Lopetegui’s sacking contributed to Spain’s disappointing performance this tournament?
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 02-07-2018, 18:26.

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied
    Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
    I think Stockholm syndrome has set in for me with Ramos. I'm starting to actually like how much of a bastard he is. And I like his haircut.
    That haircut is an OCD nightmare!

Leave a comment:

• Sash
    replied
    Latest pod:
    https://audioboom.com/posts/6916852-a-godless-wasteland
    I give up on predictions. Nothing makes any sense in that silly country.

Leave a comment:

• Flynnie
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    What Jah said.

An absolutely self-inflicted defeat.

Vamos Hrvatska
    When Spain went out, my first thought was that Barry Davies quote about the Italians: they will not learn.

Leave a comment:

• jason voorhees
    replied
    Russia played MUCH different against Uruguay. This wasn't parking the bus as much as filling the bus with cement.

I've literally never seen Diego Costa so ineffectual. They were gassed.

But I certainly hope the Hrvatskas can do it, because 3 more games of this will be way too painful. At least Greece could string passes and keep possession in the other team's end for long stretches.

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    I think Stockholm syndrome has set in for me with Ramos. I'm starting to actually like how much of a bastard he is. And I like his haircut. So I'm pleased Spain are out. I'll get counselling.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisJ
    replied
    Originally posted by Defensive minded
    Who do you mean by homophobes? A specific player, the whole team or Russians in general?
    Tongue-in-cheek remark. I guess if everyone English is a braying, beered-up racist, and footballing success will only embed this culture for all time, etc, etc.

Pay me no mind.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Polls are not always reliable but this was widely reported

http://www.newsweek.com/russians-gay...le-poll-778075

But football in the UK has its homophobia issues.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Imagine a Switz v Russia semi. Or England v Denmark.

From a neutral POV it needs to be Croatia v Colombia, but this tournament feels random now and prediction starts to feel futile.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
    Even more bizarrely, England being the most recent WC finalists of the seven.
    They are all teams you usually expect to go out before the semis. Russia almost certainly would not even have got to the finals if they hadn't been hosting it.

Contrast Spain with how easily Uruguay got through Russia the other day.

Leave a comment:

• Pietro Paolo Virdis
    replied
    3 min on Youtube will do just fine

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    Didn't watch it (should I, pens apart?). At least we're spared the prospect of Pique-Shaqiri puns later.

Leave a comment:

• Wouter D
    replied
    Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
    One of Russia, Denmark, Sweden, Switzerland, Croatia, Colombia or England will play the final. Imagine that.
    Croatia or Colombia will do just fine by me, and it's far from unlikely that it will be either of them.

Leave a comment:

• Diable Rouge
    replied
    Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
    One of Russia, Denmark, Sweden, Switzerland, Croatia, Colombia or England will play the final. Imagine that.
    Even more bizarrely, England being the most recent WC finalists of the seven.

Leave a comment:

• Pietro Paolo Virdis
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X