No announcement yet.

Easy Brazil Group(i) E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congolese embassy? Indian? Waterloo Station?

Comment

Wiz ziss Rocher you arre rilly spoilin uzz

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
        Speaking of embassies in Buenos Aires, guess where I'm probably watching England v Belgium.
        Wetherspoons?

Comment

Maradona's attic?

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
            Didn't the wrong embassy get pelted in Buenos Aires one time, after Argentina lost to Swederland? I seem to recall reading that (in a book, not online, so it must be true).

Might have been another South American country, they all look the same ...
            Found it (obsessive completist, me). And ironically, it's a case of mistaken identity about mistaken identity.

World Cup 1950, Brazil drew with Switzerland. "Angry fans in Rio attacked the Swedish embassy" (Golazo, Andreas Campomar).

Apologies to innocent Argentinians.

Comment

Campomar does say that the game was in Sao Paulo. Even in 1950 news could travel, so that doesn't seem very relevant. His source is not given, and it's unlikely to be primary.

But Golazo is no anti-Brazilian diatribe. Anything but. And let's face it, there's no shortage of opportunities to mock Brazil at that tournament. Some of the things that definitely *did* happen were pure hubris. "Ignorant and savage" are your words, not mine, and they're way OTT. What this has to do with how we perceive Brazil today, I have no idea. It's 70 odd years ago.

Comment

Working...
              X