Eighth Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eighth Debate

Eighth finals, that is. AKA Round of 16. I'm suggesting abolishing them. Group winners only progress. Shortens the tournament and reduces bore draws. Granted there'd be more dead rubbers- but the weaker teams can treat as a party while the big boys are less likely to lose knackered players to injury. Over to you panel

The big boys have the option of winning their first two games and resting players for the third. Or 'game management' where you go 3-0 up and cruise.

Comment

The round of 16 is, like the fifth round of the FA Cup, traditionally where any minnows who have overachieved in their first three games get swept away. You can't change that tradition.

Comment

Yeah, minnows like England in Euro 2016.

The round of 16 is ace. Belgium - USA gave us an amazing example of what extra time can be, in 2014. Germany - England was hilarious in 2010. We would have missed the Battle of Nürnberg in 2006, which was at least spectacular. The 2002 edition was a bit meh. In 1998 England once again left at this stage, while Nigeria unexpectedly crashed out horribly after cruising through their group. In 1994 we saw Argentina crash out against Romania. In 1990 Brazil, the Netherlands, and Spain were all eliminated in this round. In 1986 it was the USSR and Italy.

So there was one tournament without any surprises in the Round of 16. That is, unless our list of minnows include England, England, the Netherlands, England, Argentina, Brazil, the Netherlands, Spain, the USSR, and Italy. It's almost as if DG wants this to finally allow England to progress to the quarter finals. Why am I only seeing this now?

Comment

Aye- if they make it to the QF Terri will prob call another snap election. I cant wait

Comment

Besides, without a round of 16, how would Mexico get eliminated?

In the upcoming Round of 16, I want to see Mexico eviscerate Brazil. To finally break that particular duck by booting home Neymar and his joga bonito buddies would be very cathartic indeed. To mark the occasion, they will then tear through Belgium in the quarter final, only to be fucked by Iceland in the semis.

A man can dream, can't he?

Comment

A quick bump as he desperately looks for support

I want an exclusive tournament, Wouter and others an inclusive festival of jugendstil bolozenden or whatever it's called. You can have both by scrapping the R16.

Comment

If you're hoping that there's any chance of FIFA actually shortening a tournament, well...

Comment

The WC becomes ever more like the Olympics (more and more entrants, relaxed qualifying criteria, large-scale corruption), yet they squeeze it all into less than 3 weeks

Comment

Right. 24 teams left, 21 of them can still notionally finish first in the group.

Hope I'm not misrepresenting anyone here, but do you like the R16 just because it's always been there (since 1986 anyway)? In the same way that you'll argue for the traditional 48 when FIFA suggest an expansion to 64

On Rogin's point: they're shortening the tournament for the diddy teams (ie the 16 who go home after 2 games). So why obsess on giving the middle-rankers 4 rather than 3?

Anyway, it's hardly as if ALL the game's commercial interests are united in supporting a 5 week jamboree. The powerful clubs could quite happily accept their stars not having to play 7 matches.

Comment

Although I think that it made a complete sprawl of Euro '16, I have no problem with the extra round at the World Cup. Lesser teams have a better shout of achieving something - and one does then also feel that the overall winners are completely deserving of their victory.

I've no idea how the expansion of the tournament will work - indeed, there's now some doubt as to whether it'll happen at all - but, although I'm not a fan of increasing the number of finalists, I'd not object to reinstating 'best third-place' in the group stage, either. It eliminates dead-rubbers, for one thing. (Obviously, this would require considerable re-jigging.)

Oh b*llocks, it works fine as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                        I have no problem with the extra round at the World Cup. Lesser teams have a better shout of achieving something - and one does then also feel that the overall winners are completely deserving of their victory
                        Your "lesser teams" have achieved something by getting there- the more so, obviously, if it's a genuinely elite tournament with almost everyone potentially capable of getting to the last 4. Then they've had three more chances to achieve something- and second in the group represents in the World top 16. I mean, how many extra shouts do they need?

Does one? Why? Germany aren't any more deserving because they limped past Algeria last time.

I've no idea how the expansion of the tournament will work - indeed, there's now some doubt as to whether it'll happen at all
                        Source? But if it is 48 teams with initially 16 groups, I imagine each group will be seeded, not just split by continent.

although I'm not a fan of increasing the number of finalists, I'd not object to reinstating 'best third-place' in the group stage, either. It eliminates dead-rubbers, for one thing. (Obviously, this would require considerable re-jigging)
                        You don't need any rejigging to involve more mediocrity. It's there already

Oh b*llocks, it works fine as it is
                        It works fine for Honduras (consistently 3rd or 4th best team in North America) or Australia (ditto Asia). Indulging them doesn't justify bloating the competition.

Comment

24 teams are still in it after 2 games. Surely that's a good thing?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                              Your "lesser teams" have achieved something by getting there- the more so, obviously, if it's a genuinely elite tournament with almost everyone potentially capable of getting to the last 4. Then they've had three more chances to achieve something- and second in the group represents in the World top 16. I mean, how many extra shouts do they need?

Does one? Why? Germany aren't any more deserving because they limped past Algeria last time.

Source? But if it is 48 teams with initially 16 groups, I imagine each group will be seeded, not just split by continent.

You don't need any rejigging to involve more mediocrity. It's there already

It works fine for Honduras (consistently 3rd or 4th best team in North America) or Australia (ditto Asia). Indulging them doesn't justify bloating the competition.
                              1 In a lot of cases, these countries don't have the advantages that the elite have. Why shouldn't they be given a little more rope (as it were)? If the elite are so superior, they'll do the job anyway.

2 Logic alone tells us that having to win more games is going to be a greater challenge. (Although any more than we have now would make for a very protracted tournament.) But, despite the competition expanding by twice its size - and the format having been changed at least three times - it's been seven games for the finalists since, what, 1974? Italy plodded through the group in 1982; France 'limped' past Paraguay in 1998; etc, etc... They were ultimately worthy winners. What's your point?

3 https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/w...tar-world-cup/

4 Eliminating 'mediocrity' - assuming that you mean 'teams without the requisite pedigree' - would also eliminate potential upsets. Tournament football thrives on these.

5 I'm not 'for' bloating the competition - as I'd hoped would be obvious. I just think it would require much better reasoning to shrink it down (which won't happen anyway).
                              Last edited by Jah Womble; 25-06-2018, 12:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                                Yeah, minnows like England in Euro 2016.

The round of 16 is ace. Belgium - USA gave us an amazing example of what extra time can be, in 2014. Germany - England was hilarious in 2010. We would have missed the Battle of Nürnberg in 2006, which was at least spectacular. The 2002 edition was a bit meh. In 1998 England once again left at this stage, while Nigeria unexpectedly crashed out horribly after cruising through their group. In 1994 we saw Argentina crash out against Romania. In 1990 Brazil, the Netherlands, and Spain were all eliminated in this round. In 1986 it was the USSR and Italy.

So there was one tournament without any surprises in the Round of 16. That is, unless our list of minnows include England, England, the Netherlands, England, Argentina, Brazil, the Netherlands, Spain, the USSR, and Italy. It's almost as if DG wants this to finally allow England to progress to the quarter finals. Why am I only seeing this now?
                                Sorry, I've just got to step in here and point out that the second round of the 1986 world cup will live on forever, but not because of any game involving the USSR or Italy

Comment

3. Link only refers to 2022. We are still headed for 48 in 2026 AFAIK

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                    Sorry, I've just got to step in here and point out that the second round of the 1986 world cup will live on forever, but not because of any game involving the USSR or Italy
                                    Of course! How could I have forgotten the giant upset caused by the plucky underdog's charismatic midfielder Lothar M. scoring an unexpected 88th minute goal to eliminate the mighty Moroccans!?

Comment

You're getting warmer

Comment

Spain v Denmark?

Comment

I can imagine that TAB's talking about Negrete's goal.

Comment

Negrete rien.

Comment

No never mind me. I got my second rounds and quarter finals horribly mixed up.

Comment

France v Brazil then?

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                                  No never mind me. I got my second rounds and quarter finals horribly mixed up.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X