Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Cup Sweepstakes

Come on then.

Who's everyone drawn in their workplace sweepstake?

[ICELAND]

I'll do groups, 'cos there's only eight of us.

Comment

Like most other social things (Xmas, leaving dos) at work there will be no sweep as they got rid of the reception/ office/admin staff

Comment

One of the places I work at have done a sweep but it seems to be the most pointless event to do one for. With the Grand National if you get a 100/1 shot there is still a chance but with a world cup when you draw Saudi Arabia you know you've just wasted £X.

Comment

I decided to be a socially-minded union rep and run one myself. I got France.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
            One of the places I work at have done a sweep but it seems to be the most pointless event to do one for. With the Grand National if you get a 100/1 shot there is still a chance but with a world cup when you draw Saudi Arabia you know you've just wasted £X.
            I've arranged one in the local pub where you put 50,- in (5 euro) and win 200,- out of the 1,600,- if you draw the worst team in the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
              One nearby pub did a sweep where as the usual money-to-the-winner stuff, while your team were playing your drinks were half price. Certainly pulled in the extra trade for the "smaller" games, seeing as the ticketholder normally brought in a few friends who were paying full price.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
                I've arranged one in the local pub where you put 50,- in (5 euro) and win 200,- out of the 1,600,- if you draw the worst team in the tournament.
                Our office sweep has a wooden spoon prize for worst team in the group stages but that's still no help if you've drawn say, for the sake of argument, Australia who are not going to be the worst team but have no chance of progressing far.

Oh all right, it's me. I've fucking drawn Australia.

Comment

With Internet and pages like https://www.optasports.com/ it's easy to check statistics, and add something like most yellow cards in the group stage as winning ticket. That way whatever you pick, you have a chance of winning and suddenly you're watching those specific games differently. Rooting for instance that Australia will play brutal football.

But I guess that's too late now.
                  I have 800 to the world cup winner, 600 to runner up and 200 to worst team. I didn't get to draw a ticket, had the last one remaining reserved for me else if I pick a good side someone could claim I rigged it. I got Senegal.

Comment

I've got group B.

Comment

16 of us, so I split the field in half between "favorites" (really, the handful of good teams, plus the less bad ones) and everyone else.

I drew Poland and Peru.

Comment

I sorted one out today for the 14 of us: two teams each and the four remaining teams become 'Cake' teams (i.e. if they win the kitty gets spent on team cake).

Saudi Arabia and Egypt for me.
                        Cake is going with Denmark, Panama, Japan and, pleasingly, France.

Comment

I'm running our one, in conjunction with the dept manager. We've got the standard 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prizes but we also have the team who concedes the most goals in the first round (gets a fiver) and if your team concedes an own goal the manager will buy you a bottle of wine.

I ended up with Peru and Panama!

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
                            With Internet and pages like https://www.optasports.com/ it's easy to check statistics, and add something like most yellow cards in the group stage as winning ticket. That way whatever you pick, you have a chance of winning and suddenly you're watching those specific games differently. Rooting for instance that Australia will play brutal football.

But I guess that's too late now.
                            I have 800 to the world cup winner, 600 to runner up and 200 to worst team. I didn't get to draw a ticket, had the last one remaining reserved for me else if I pick a good side someone could claim I rigged it. I got Senegal.
                            I organised ours yesterday, before reading this and came up with something similar, doing it on red cards first (then yellow cards in the event of a tie). As said above there are only a handful of realistic winners so there needs to be something to keep people interested - particularly when Germany and Brazil got picked out early (that's another thing we should have done, not revealed them til they were all drawn).

Anyway I got Belgium and Senegal. England was last team drawn out, and even though it was known they were last in the hat, there wasn't a big clamour for people to buy them (we were letting people buy second teams by this point).

Comment

Well, the way the draw is, England look nailed on for a QF exit don't they, which is a bit dull.

Comment

There's 16 in our sweep, prizes for winner,runner up,semi-finals,worst
                                side and top scorers outside the above sides ,everyone also got a seeded and unseeded side,I got Spain and Nigeria

Comment

More importantly,am I the only one to use the WSC wallchart to mark off the results in work?

Comment

Two of us at least, elguapo.

The one I'm running at work has part of the kitty to be shared between teams who lose all their group matches, so Kirstie's quite chuffed to have drawn Saudi Arabia (notwithstanding her vehement opposition to their human rights record).

Comment

Forgot to mention in my original post that I'm also in the Gloucester City fan's messageboard one as well, but I ended up with Croatia. In the previous 4 tournaments (2 World's and 2 Euros) I have had at least the runner-up in each of theirs - including Portugal in 2016.

May have a few quid on Croatia e/w.......maybe not.

Comment

Forgot to mention in my original post that I'm also in the Gloucester City fan's messageboard one as well, but I ended up with Croatia. In the previous 4 tournaments (2 World's and 2 Euros) I have had at least the runner-up in each of theirs - including Portugal in 2016.

May have a few quid on Croatia e/w.......maybe not.

Comment

I got Japan in the £1 general work one. Wonderful.
                                          There's also a guy who does blind sweepstakes, where you pick an envelope which he keeps, envelopes opened after the event. I probably got Japan again.
                                          He also does one for Huddersfield's final league position, last year I drew 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by oniony towers View Post
                                            Two of us at least, elguapo.
                                            Me too.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                              More importantly,am I the only one to use the WSC wallchart to mark off the results in work?
                                              Make that three.

Comment

Arguably, now that mine has arrived (yesterday! woohoo!), me too, though because I am freelance and work at home that's not exactly noteworthy

Comment

We had four teams that remained unsold at the start: three no-hopers and Portugal. But after the latter beat Morocco, someone came in yesterday morning and demanded to pay £4 for the lot to guarantee getting Portugal before anyone else did. Bit bemused by that, they look as likely to get out of the group as they did beforehand (very), and also as likely to win the Cup as they previously did.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X