Wales Firsts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wales Firsts

If my memory serves correctly, Wales are the first British Isles team to win 4 matches in an overseas major finals, and the first since 1968 to reach a SF without needing extra time or pens.

Wales Firsts

The first is true, I believe, as England did it in 1966.

Who was it in 1968?

Comment

Wales Firsts

England again. Won their qualifying group (which was actually the Home Internationals, from 1967 and 1968) and then beat Spain home and away in the quarter-final. Scotland's famous 3-2 win at Wembley in 1967 was one of the qualifying games, but the Scots messed up by losing in Belfast.

Comment

Wales Firsts

Hmmm, isn't that rather devalued in the same manner as our 1976 "quarter finals"/play-off qualification which, luckily, we can now shove under the carpet somewhat post-Euro 2016.

Comment

Wales Firsts

Don't see why. They were semi-finalists in a tournament that originally featured 31 teams. Sounds like what Platini had planned for Euro 2020.

Incidentally, West Germany failed to reach the QFs in 1968 because they only drew their last group game 0-0 in Tirana. Yugoslavia qualified in their place and went on to beat England and reach the final.

Comment

Wales Firsts

First other home nations team to match England and score 10 goals in a European championships.

Comment

Wales Firsts

Bordeaux Education wrote: Hmmm, isn't that rather devalued in the same manner as our 1976 "quarter finals"/play-off qualification which, luckily, we can now shove under the carpet somewhat post-Euro 2016.
              England were in the four-team finals, which were held in Italy.

Comment

Wales Firsts

Yes, apologies, I meant to note that, at least, they made it to the semi-finals rather than Wales' quarters but it was more the wins in the qualifying games being included in the stat that we were talking about rather than group games of the actual championships.

It would like including the Wales' qualifiers for Euro 2016 as well as their group games in the tournament proper and I am not sure that most informed observers would.

Comment

Working...
                X