France - Portugal, Sunday evening football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

danielmak wrote: It won't go back. There's too much money for too many people. But letting so many teams into the knockout is a joke. More teams qualify than get bounced. And the qualifiers have become more of a joke as well. At least with a bloated WC, we have meaningful qualifiers. I would do group winners only in the tournament itself if that math works out mathematically, but it won't happen.
    As a follower of a team that had a glorious and highly enjoyable European championships, after qualifying third from a group with a semi finalist and a quarter finalists, and coming third in our group, I must just say that this is just so much tosh and piffle.

Comment

When I was watching Ronaldo have a nightmare (against Hungary I think) much to the delight of the locals in Barcelona, this seemed a long way off.

I watched games in Salisbury, St Ives, Barcelona, Dent, somewhere over a slice of central and eastern europe and Australia. It all went downhill after Salisbury.

Comment

At the final whistle, as everyone ran onto the pitch to mob Eder - Ronaldo stands alone on the sideline - look at me - and falls to the floor. I turned off the TV at that point.

Comment

Maybe you mean the Austria match where he missed a penalty? He scored two goals against Hungary to keep Portugal in the competition.
          I was one of the gloaters. He's a ballbag, but a fantastic talent, undoubtedly.
          Pleased for the folks of sunny Portugal.

Comment

In fairness, Ronaldo was hardly going to charge onto the pitch himself after what had happened to his knee ligaments. He shouldn't even have been walking around, painkillers or no painkillers.

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote:
              Originally posted by danielmak
              It won't go back. There's too much money for too many people. But letting so many teams into the knockout is a joke. More teams qualify than get bounced. And the qualifiers have become more of a joke as well. At least with a bloated WC, we have meaningful qualifiers. I would do group winners only in the tournament itself if that math works out mathematically, but it won't happen.
              As a follower of a team that had a glorious and highly enjoyable European championships, after qualifying third from a group with a semi finalist and a quarter finalists, and coming third in our group, I must just say that this is just so much tosh and piffle.
              Just so we're clear, you mean a team that finished third in qualifying and then finished third to get out of the group. And then once there was no longer an opportunity to advance without actually winning, the team was sent home. If I was Irish, I'd be excited too, but for everyone else that's a lot of somewhat mediocre play that's being rewarded for the purposes of more mediocre play.

It all feels a bit like finishing third in the CL and getting to then play in the Europa League. Not very interesting for a neutral. Again, none of it will change, but I'm glad I went against my normal obsessive viewing and instead started in earnest when the knockout rounds began. Well, somewhat glad because too many of those games were poor.

Comment

I'll drop the GK Adv thing, but this is the difference between a goalkeeper that can win you a title and one that can't.

Say what you want about Barthez, but he was always glued into every thousandth and ten thousandth of a millisecond in his games in the '98 World Cup. He could read the play, was always thinking and positioning and moving, and would never have allowed that goal to go in today.

It was a miraculous shot, and the amazing thing was how far behind his leg it seemed - thus good goalscoring making the gk look bad. I was expecting to find the goalkeeper completely screened, which he was. However, the most damning is his heels being stuck in the fucking cement and being way out of position. Barthez simply would've had the right angle, and would've been attacking the ball when it was shot.

Stuck in the mud, not beginning his dive until the ball was well on its way, and out of position = Lose The Final.

Comment

Borracho wrote: In fairness, Ronaldo was hardly going to charge onto the pitch himself after what had happened to his knee ligaments. He shouldn't even have been walking around, painkillers or no painkillers.
                  I was thinking that too.
                  There must've been no talking to him.

Comment

Maybe you mean the Austria match where he missed a penalty? He scored two goals against Hungary to keep Portugal in the competition.
                    Yes, you're right Calvert, Austria it was.

Comment

Then Samuel Umtiti's Bravery and Being A Better Door Than A Window played into it...

Comment

jason voorhees wrote: I'll drop the GK Adv thing, but this is the difference between a goalkeeper that can win you a title and one that can't.

Stuck in the mud, not beginning his dive until the ball was well on its way, and out of position = Lose The Final.
                        Watch the replay of the phantom handball freekick right before the goal, JV. Lloris banged his right knee pretty hard on the post, and did not recover in time for the Eder shot. He doesn't get nearly as much power and quick thrust off his right leg, and is a few inches short.

He's made more difficult saves all through the tournament.

Comment

Then finally, Pogba yelling because Umtiti was taking as leisurely a stroll as he also was.

Comment

Linus, picture #4 is the most damning in the first set.

Absolutely shitty positioning. His dive was good enough. It was way too late, and because of his poor angling he was guarding a 10-yard-wide goal instead of an 8-yard one.

Like I said, the difference between winning a title or not. Knee or not.

Comment

Goodnight.

Poo Too Gaow Allez. Commiserations, Linus, Renart, and Les Blues Krewe.

Comment

jason voorhees wrote: Linus, picture #4 is the most damning in the first set.

Absolutely shitty positioning. His dive was good enough. It was way too late, and because of his poor angling he was guarding a 10-yard-wide goal instead of an 8-yard one.

Like I said, the difference between winning a title or not. Knee or not.
                                Watch the shot again, particularly the very last replay, which was taken from behind the net and shows very well Lloris' dive from the point where he's still leaning sideways, his right foot still planted. It shows that he got very little extension from his pivot right foot pushing off the ground, about a foot's worth, when you'd expect two or three. His dive was nowhere near good enough.

TSN Canada showed the entire footage of his previous dive through to the Eder shot. He goes up trying to save the freekick, and lands banging his right knee on the post with his right leg planted, it looked painful. He hobbles around for a minute, then gets ready for Eder's shot. The footage showed that he had clearly not recovered, he got very little side lift off his dive.

Comment

jason voorhees wrote: Goodnight.

Poo Too Gaow Allez. Commiserations, Linus, Renart, and Les Blues Krewe.

Cheers JV. I guess they must be celebrating pretty hard in Newark and other parts of Jersey tonight.

Comment

My nephew was very upset about the handball mistake. He's still at that age where he gets very upset about officiating. I didn't see it. Was it a crucial error?

Comment

Bad mistake.

Not outcome determinative unless one adopts the linus view of Lloris' suboptimal reaction to Eder's shot.

Comment

It was the view of the TSN analysts, and they made a very good case, using footage from different angles not included in the live feed that showed Lloris hitting the post and hobbling about in the two-minute stretch between his collision with the post and the goal conceded.

Their coverage and halftime/postgame analyses have been consistently solid, a lot better than the American and French panels, surprisingly so.

The handball call itself might have been the worst call of the tournament, you don't see that kind of misatributed handball error very often.

Comment

I don't care if it's true or not, but I go with linus here. Only because I wanted France to lose as a result of a wrong handball decision*. This sort of gives me that satisfaction.

* Henry. Not Schweini.

Comment

Haven't been able to read the thread yet, but Rui Patricio's performance has been covered, right? He played a thousand times better than I've ever seen him play. The whole team were incredible, but he was phenomenal.

Comment

Why are you all talking about it being over? Have you seen what is happening back in Bordeaux?

Comment

Ray de Galles wrote:
                                                Originally posted by axolotl
                                                should have penos before ET. make last 30 mins somewhat exciting. so whomever wins penos would win if a draw after ET.
                                                That is continually hawked around and is one of the crappest ideas I have ever heard.

Terrible, gimmicky, artificial non-football (even more non-football than penalties themselves) nonsense and far worse than the current format.
                                                It also would do nothing to solve the problem of teams playing defensively in extra time. The team that won the penalty shoot out would then park the bus for 30 minutes.

Comment

steveeeeeeeee wrote: Haven't been able to read the thread yet, but Rui Patricio's performance has been covered, right? He played a thousand times better than I've ever seen him play. The whole team were incredible, but he was phenomenal.

Very funny one with Arsene for any Arse-haters.

Comment

linus wrote:
                                                    Cheers JV. I guess they must be celebrating pretty hard in Newark and other parts of Jersey tonight.
                                                    Slightly subdued, especially compared to the raucous Spain celebrations 4 years ago, but I'm sure there are better vids somewhere else.

edit - HERE's the Parade.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X