Next England Boss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next England Boss

Favourite Worst Nightmare wrote: A Philtrum is what occurs when Phil Brown is so upset by his team's first half performance that he keeps them out on the pitch for a finger jabbing half time team talk.

Comment

Next England Boss

Uncle Ethan wrote: For those living in the real world Allardyce is a sensible appointment. England aren't going to win major championships. The steps required at the junior levels have never been taken and never will.

The changes required to the domestic season have never been made and it is highly unlikely that they ever will be.

All I want is a competent coach who will get England to roughly the stage they should expect to make - the last 16, with anything else being a bonus.

All I ask is selecting players in their actual positions; picking them based on form, not what commercials they do; not making wholesale changes when they aren't required; a settled formation based on the players available and not playing favourites with people who have barely played for a season, basic stuff like that.

If he can actually make them play above themselves (which counter-intuitively requires convincing some they aren't actually as good as they think they are) and make the team function as a unit then great, I'll take that too.
      I agree with all of this, although Hodgson got us to the last 16 so maybe we can up our expectation just slightly?

Comment

Next England Boss

So pretty certain Allardyce will be the new England boss, with Moyes taking over at Sunderland.

Comment

Next England Boss

EIM wrote: I'm not arsed about results (or indeed football or the concept of nationality) but can't we just appoint someone fragrant? Pretty, even.
          Is Eva Carneiro still looking for a job?

Comment

Next England Boss

Who was the last Doctor- manager in the EPL- Venglos?

Comment

Next England Boss

Gus Poyet

Comment

Next England Boss

Gerard Houllier had a degree in English, probably something no English manager of the last thirty years would have been able to attain.

Comment

Next England Boss

Steve Coppell's got a degree in economics, hasn't he?

Comment

Next England Boss

Carnivorous Vulgaris wrote: Martin O'Neill studied law at Queens. Did he complete the degree?
                    Nah.

It's maths we're after next…

Comment

Next England Boss

I'm sure I saw some quote on my timeline earlier today from Allardyce's autobiography a few years back where he called the FA "classless c***s" (his asterisks)
                      made up quote by one of those accounts that makes up quotes.

Comment

Next England Boss

Guy Profumo wrote: Steve Coppell's got a degree in economics, hasn't he?
                        Maths, physics and bionics too.
                        And if the rumour was true, his mother bought him a synthesiser.

Comment

Next England Boss

I really hope that this is an Alan Hansen "you won't win anything with kids" moment for me but I think things will go pear shaped very quickly with Allardyce. I already get the sense that people can't wait for him to slip up, he's on a hiding to nothing.

England fans EXPECT, no in fact we DEMAND that our boys wipe the floor with these greasy foreigners.

A pragmatic 1-0 win away against Slovenia will be no good, WE SHOULD BE WINNING 4-0 AGAINST TEAMS LIKE THIS.

et cetera, et cetara

Comment

Next England Boss

Surely everyone realises that Allardyce has been employed to return England to going out in the quarter finals?

Comment

Next England Boss

For the first time since 1986 I was in England while a major tournament was on. I watched England's games in Salisbury, St Ives and Dent, so a reasonable sample by area. I didn't encounter a single England fan of the type described by FWN.

Comment

Next England Boss

Uncle Ethan wrote: For the first time since 1986 I was in England while a major tournament was on. I watched England's games in Salisbury, St Ives and Dent, so a reasonable sample by area. I didn't encounter a single England fan of the type described by FWN.
                                Perhaps I was a little carried away.

I go to most England games, during the hum drum of qualifiers and friendlies I'd say the majority have a realistic view of our abilities. However during the Euros there were a lot of characters who seemed to believe that our rightful place in the football world is to win every tournament, and they were very quick to turn on the team when things started going against us.

I guess I'm also trying to make the point that many people seem to have an agenda against Allardyce before he has even taken charge of the team. I can't remember this happening with an England manager previously.

Comment

Next England Boss

I think Hodgson's reception was muted by awareness of his mediocre club record. McClaren was always a joke. Hodgson only survived 2012 and 2014 because expectations were so low that it was sufficient to look plucky against Italy in the course of losing.

Comment

Next England Boss

Kevin Nolan on Big Sam, according to a facebook meme:

"I'm delighted for him. You won't meet a man more proud to be English. He came to my stag do on Marbella, and the lad behind the desk was one of those 'modern men'. Sam wasn't keen. Anyway, the lad says to him 'would you like the English or the continental breakfast, sir?'. Sam says 'The only continental thing that'll be passing my lips tomorow is twelve pints of Stella. I'll have double bacon and a big sausage.' The lad says 'Oooo, you and me both!'. Sam nearly cracked him one. He's just a great bloke".

He's going to get on with the travelling support like a house on fire.

Comment

Next England Boss

Good grief. Imagine his pre-match team-talks!

I can't get my head around this appointment. England has so much talent at the moment that I'd see them as reasonable contenders at the next World Cup. But there is no way that Sam Allardyce is going to win the World Cup.

Comment

Next England Boss

That's brilliant, Rogin. He really is Mike Bassett.
                                        You'd think Allardyce would embrace the cheeky chappie's Carry On innuendo as the very essence of Englishness.

I'm lookng forward to the forthcoming disaster, I must say, but there's a nagging sense that this might actually work a bit. I mean, it's thirty years out of date to appoint Jackie Charlton, but the FA seem to have correctly come to the conclusion that England can't compete on a purely footballing level with the better European and South American sides.
                                        He doesn't half fancy himself, though. Confidence is one thing, but if his past utterances about his managerial abilities are a true indication of his thinking, then he's more than a bit deluded. It'll be interesting.

Comment

Next England Boss

Tactics do come full circle, the verbose Jonathan Wilson article on the return of Charles Reep is already being written.

I for one look forward to England ruling the world by knocking it long to Andy Carroll who'll head it down to Harry Kane to stick it in the back of the net.

Comment

Next England Boss

Lord save us from another Wilson think piece. Is the Blizzard still going?

Comment

Next England Boss

I thought the 'facebook meme' reference indicated a spoof/ fiction?

Pity England aren't in the San Marino group, Sam would love the Hotel Huomo 'alla Duomo (see threads passim).

Comment

Next England Boss

G-Man wrote:

I can't get my head around this appointment. England has so much talent at the moment that I'd see them as reasonable contenders at the next World Cup. But there is no way that Sam Allardyce is going to win the World Cup.
                                                Presumably you are being sarcastic.

Comment

Next England Boss

Duncan Gardner wrote:

I thought the 'facebook meme' reference indicated a spoof/ fiction?
                                                  Well it's been posted on facebook as a real quote by someone called Footy Accumulators, whom I've never heard of but facebook must realise I do bet on footy occasionally. So I'm not sure if it's a spoof or not.

Comment

Next England Boss

GCostanza wrote:
                                                    Originally posted by G-Man

Presumably you are being sarcastic.
                                                    Not at all. At a time when there is no invincible side in the world, England has the young talent to make a very good team. Not the best in the world, but one that could go far, but only with a class coach (and I say that as a full-paid up member of the AEB).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X