Next England Boss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next England Boss

Big Sam is nobody's fool, he employs sports science and is a winner who has produced exciting football at places such as Bolton with the likes of JJ Okacha and Djorkaeff and Campo.

Comment

Next England Boss

Rogin the Armchair fan wrote: BBC reporting that Allardyce has been offered the job. Appointment expected tomorrow upon final contract details, such as Big Sam being reassured about the quality of the pies at Soho Square.
      The FA fled Soho Square a while back as they couldnt afford the rent. Now using the hospitality suites and resaurants at Wembley Stadium for their day to day office space. Work from home when theres a match on that night apparently.

Comment

Next England Boss

With the goings on with Boris Johnson and Donald Trump in the last week, this decision almost appears sane!

Comment

Next England Boss

Galeanicals wrote: Big Sam is nobody's fool, he employs sports science and is a winner who has produced exciting football at places such as Bolton with the likes of JJ Okacha and Djorkaeff and Campo.
          And Kevin Nolan
          Don't forget Kevin Nolan.

Comment

Next England Boss

A Boltonian mate on FB is enthused because Big Sam "will clear the big egos" out of the England set-up.

He bought El-Hadji Diouf. Twice.

Comment

Next England Boss

Satchmo Distel wrote: He could have gone with Rooney and Sturridge up front but would have been slammed for not playing Kane.

I think Kane was just gone mentally; one of the biggest player meltdowns I have seen.
              Nah, kane was shattered. That poor cunt has run a million miles for pochettino. People are far too quick to attribute failings of England players to their mentality. Spurs were running on fumes by the end of the season. And it's not like the team was exactly purring like a rolls Royce.

Comment

Next England Boss

Berba has a point there.

It was also crystal clear that Hodgson's insistence on Kane taking corners and free kicks messed with his mind (and that of the rest of the squad).

Comment

Next England Boss

Galeanicals wrote: Big Sam is nobody's fool, he employs sports science and is a winner who has produced exciting football at places such as Bolton with the likes of JJ Okacha and Djorkaeff and Campo.
                  I look forward to him signing Nigerian, French and Spanish talent for England then.

Comment

Next England Boss

Squarewheelbike wrote: With the goings on with Boris Johnson and Donald Trump in the last week, this decision almost appears sane!
                    My (English) wife just asked me if appointing Allardyce was a good move. The closest I could summon to any opinion on it was "Well, it really can't get any worse."

Not that who the manager is anything like England's biggest problem, of course.

Comment

Next England Boss

Theresa May is about the best we can do for Prime Minister right now, and Sam Allardyce is the best we can do for England manager.

I get the impression it suits him to play up to the unsophisticated Big Sam stuff while quietly being a technology pioneer, a yoga enthusiast (for the players only I guess), preparing meticulously with highly structured training and focussed man management to make best use of his resources.

Not sure if that will translate to internationals though, and apart from Kevins Nolan and Davies his teams have been stuffed with foreign players.

What was the final outcome of the Panorama stuff with his lad Craig? That it was a bit shady, "could have been considered a conflict of interest" but not illegal?

Comment

Next England Boss

I'm sure I saw some quote on my timeline earlier today from Allardyce's autobiography a few years back where he called the FA "classless c***s" (his asterisks) forgot they handled choosing McClaren over him for England manager a few years ago. I can't find any evidence of it online though.

Comment

Next England Boss

My point being, his teams play with flair underpinned by pragmatism

Comment

Next England Boss

For those living in the real world Allardyce is a sensible appointment. England aren't going to win major championships. The steps required at the junior levels have never been taken and never will.

The changes required to the domestic season have never been made and it is highly unlikely that they ever will be.

All I want is a competent coach who will get England to roughly the stage they should expect to make - the last 16, with anything else being a bonus.

All I ask is selecting players in their actual positions; picking them based on form, not what commercials they do; not making wholesale changes when they aren't required; a settled formation based on the players available and not playing favourites with people who have barely played for a season, basic stuff like that.

If he can actually make them play above themselves (which counter-intuitively requires convincing some they aren't actually as good as they think they are) and make the team function as a unit then great, I'll take that too.

Comment

Next England Boss

Would the press accept a last 16 exit?

Comment

Next England Boss

Rogin the Armchair fan wrote: He bought El-Hadji Diouf. Twice.
                                Yes, and he was one of the few coaches to get consistent performances out of him.

Comment

Next England Boss

I don't really care what the press would accept. The media's expectations of England and my own diverged about 40 years ago.

Comment

Next England Boss

Uncle Ethan wrote: All I want is a competent coach who will get England to roughly the stage they should expect to make - the last 16, with anything else being a bonus...I don't really care what the press would accept. The media's expectations of England and my own diverged about 40 years ago
                                    Fair enough, but in results at tournaments terms there's a divide between the last decade and the two before that. In 2006, England fans could reasonably have set the last eight as a benchmark, having achieved that in eight of the previous 11 tournaments.

Comment

Next England Boss

At the very least he won't sit in his seat for the best part of most games pawing at his face like a bear trapped in a Russian zoo. If the fact that he's on his feet and directing the players from the touchline galvanises them to some extent, a small battle has been won.

Comment

Next England Boss

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote:
                                        Originally posted by Satchmo Distel
                                        He could have gone with Rooney and Sturridge up front but would have been slammed for not playing Kane.

I think Kane was just gone mentally; one of the biggest player meltdowns I have seen.
                                        Nah, kane was shattered. That poor cunt has run a million miles for pochettino. People are far too quick to attribute failings of England players to their mentality. Spurs were running on fumes by the end of the season. And it's not like the team was exactly purring like a rolls Royce.
                                        True, unfortunately. The gasket finally blew just ahead of half time in that match at Stamford Bridge. We never retrieved our mojo after that.

Despite the (brief) manful efforts of Dier and Walker, all of Tottenham's England players carried this lassitude with them into the Euros.

Comment

Next England Boss

The gap between his nose and top lip - there must be a name for that space - is too big, and he looks like his downstairs toilet stinks. I'm not arsed about results (or indeed football or the concept of nationality) but can't we just appoint someone fragrant? Pretty, even.

Comment

Next England Boss

EIM wrote: The gap between his nose and top lip - there must be a name for that space - is too big.
                                            Philtrum.

Comment

Next England Boss

Philbrown.

Comment

Next England Boss

Isn't the Philtrum the "groove" as opposed to the gap? It'll do, I suppose.

Comment

Next England Boss

Philbrown's new groove.

Comment

Next England Boss

A Philtrum is what occurs when Phil Brown is so upset by his team's first half performance that he keeps them out on the pitch for a finger jabbing half time team talk.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X