Cod War Three: ENG-ICE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, a wind-swept, isolationist, rainy country in the North Atlantic prepares to battle with the brave Vikings from Reykjavik. The Icelanders may have a smaller population than County Cork, but their defensive solidity and counter-attacking flair has won many friends in this tournament, and will Woy's Boys have the stomach for the consequent 90 minute battle? Of course, the odds on an Ireland-England showdown are rather long at present, but a shock result on Sunday may well raise local viewing figures for the encounter.

England by the odd goal in E.T., or even penalties.

Comment

Sigh. Opportunity missed for "A Song of ICE and Dier", there.

Comment

I preferred 'ICE-ENG on the cake' from the other thread.

Comment

It looks a similar game to the Wales one. Can Iceland hold out where Wales failed to do so, then nick one?

We've not seen England's defence put under pressure. Can Iceland do that or will this be another game where Hart is largely a spectator, except for set-pieces?

Comment

I would like to watch that game with the Icelandic commentary. What's the Iceland chant against Hungary which sounded like a war cry from Vikings

Comment

https://streamable.com/te1p

Comment

hah, did you see the Icelandic commentary for the winning goal? The commentator is already losing his mind when the breakaway crosses the halfway line, and by the end he's barely able to do anything other than yelp when they actually kick the ball in the net.

Comment

If Hart's a spectator apart from at set-pieces he might only get to touch the ball picking it out of his net.

Comment

I commend this short film to anyone who may be neutral on this fixture.

Áfram Ísland!

Comment

Oh marvellous, a reference to a conflict. Bad enough we get war references from some of our more xenophobic supporters (and, to be fair, I haven't seen a single RAF pilot or even a Crusader yet).
                      It can only get better if we keep progressing. QF against France (Agincourt aggro), SF against Germany (endless thread title fun here, I'm going for V1 boys v One's boys) before a final against Northern Ireland on Sunday. Bloody Sunday.

Comment

*applause*

Comment

Jamie Vardy, do it for Fleetwood!

Comment

Yeah, and beyond the war theme, it's a sappy commercial, complete with the saccharine piano and violin soundtrack.

This being said, every neutral will be rooting hard for Iceland, best underdog story in a long time.

Comment

Sean du Cabanon wrote: Oh marvellous, a reference to a conflict. Bad enough we get war references from some of our more xenophobic supporters (and, to be fair, I haven't seen a single RAF pilot or even a Crusader yet).
                              It can only get better if we keep progressing. QF against France (Agincourt aggro), SF against Germany (endless thread title fun here, I'm going for V1 boys v One's boys) before a final against Northern Ireland on Sunday. Bloody Sunday.
                              You could hardly call a navy hassling fishing trawlers a real conflict, though - was just media hyperbole to emphasise the ludicrous nature of the dispute?

Comment

Marcel Mumpeau wrote: I preferred 'ICE-ENG on the cake' from the other thread.
                                'ICE-ENG the body electric'?

Comment

Tempted to buy an Iceland shirt as I really like them but equally worried my England supporting friends will think I'm trolling them.

Comment

After today's Leave vote, I may be supporting Iceland instead.

Comment

Wonder how many times that fucking band will parp out Rule Brittania and GSTQ.

Comment

nmrrenard wrote: Wonder how many times that fucking band will parp out Rule Brittania and GSTQ.
                                        As I will be safely ensconced on the outer rim of continental Europe by Monday, I look forward to "our lads" being emboldened by beer and independece to give me a fair few reasons to raise a lusty cry of fuck the English.

Which is uglier in writing than I thought it would be, but you know.. that's the benefit of all this symbolic warfare, I guess. Come on Iceland.

Comment

How about Nice in Nice (by the stranglers) as a safe non offencive thread title? Now we are out if the EU could there be more fishy wars ?

Comment

I have to say that the significant uptick of racist sentiment over the weekend is killing my appetite to even acknowledge our national team right now.

I can't stop thinking that these xenophobic pricks will all be watching, waving their flags and singing as if they were the pride of the nation rather than the boil on its arse. And I don't think I can allow myself to be associated with that, however indirectly. So I'll probably just spend the evening with a good book instead.

Comment

SouthdownRebel wrote: I have to say that the significant uptick of racist sentiment over the weekend is killing my appetite to even acknowledge our national team right now.
                                              I'll go a step further and say that, along with the entire rest of the continent, I'll find it absolutely fucking hilarious if Iceland win.

Comment

Yep. Never in my life have I wanted England to fail more.

Comment

I fear for Iceland shops on high street arcades up and down the country if Iceland do win. They'll all get bricked.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X