Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cod War Three: ENG-ICE

He's a dead man walking.

The problem the federation has is that the available candidates are underwhelming.

Comment

I tend to think he wasn't interested.

VdB has established it as an old man's job.

Comment

They may have missed a trick with Emery

Ooh, you are awful.

Comment

Dammit, I was trying to shoehorn a 'Dick' double entendre in there but couldn't get it in.

Comment

They already had 11 Dicks in the team

Oh sorry, that was England

Comment

Mouton D wrote:
              Originally posted by Patrick Thistle
              Tempted to buy an Iceland shirt as I really like them but equally worried my England supporting friends will think I'm trolling them.
              Sold out.
              I read somewhere that only about 600 Icelanders didn't watch the game. Presumably, those people work in emergency rooms or somesuch.

If you can't get an Iceland football shirt, maybe get their hockey sweater. It's pretty cool.

Comment

A quick precis of Danny Baker's greatest shits.

Comment

Baker's a bit of an entitled cockwomble really. Typical England fan, then.

Comment

Will the Wales win v Balgium divert media attention from the England debacle or make the scrutiny worse? The Wales fans were doing "Are you watching England?" in the stadium.

Comment

Satchmo Distel wrote: Will the Wales win v Balgium divert media attention from the England debacle or make the scrutiny worse? The Wales fans were doing "Are you watching England?" in the stadium.
                      Well...

I'm actually pretty annoyed that a headline about our game is a reference to England, even a negative one.

Comment

Defensive minded wrote: Another thing I would stand by is that England's performance in the group stage was far better than any tournament in the past for a long time, which made the disappointment even worse.
                        That's a very low bar, though. The last group stage where they played much coherent football was 2004.

And "far better" is only true in patches. First half against Wales was woeful; they obviously fluffed the last part of the Russia game; and Slovakia was a game they should have won to get an easier draw (the one Wales have come through).

I suspect that if you sat through England's 2006-2014 tournaments again you'd find similar good patches (e.g. v Italy in 2014 until Italy scored). England often have these brief moments of raising false hopes even in their worse failures.

Comment

England were top seeds in a 24 team Euros, so dominating those games is the minimum requirement really. But even then they didn't win the group and then they fell apart in the first KO game, as per the same old, same old.

There was no dynamism v Iceland, when it was needed. But I think we can agree the reasons there were psychological and due to poor selections. I don't think the claim in this thread is that England are incapable of ever playing good football.

Comment

Defensive minded wrote: The game yesterday strengthened my point that England's tournament performances are more down to the lack of interest in the national team than any lack of a coaching sytem or technical ability.

All of those Wales players probaly came through the English coaching system, but their pride in putting on the shirt of their national team seems to be immensly higher.

Both Wales and Iceland are, man for man with a few exceptions, technically inferior to Belgium and England, but were still the better teams on the night.

Another thing I would stand by is that England's performance in the group stage was far better than any tournament in the past for a long time, which made the disappointment even worse.
                            or that Wales have about 11 international level players and have been playing basically the same way for quite a while. England changed their entire way of playing and team on the eve of the tournament, which wasn't all that bad, because they hadn't really sorted out a way of playing, or style before that.

Players were trying so hard to keep their positions, that they did very little running off the ball, so their passing game just wasn't very good. Whoever had the ball had very few options.

If this tournament has shown us anything so far, it is that teams that have a good idea of what they are doing can outperform the level of their players. Northern Ireland for instance were very well organised and there is nothing about their squad to suggest that they would manage a narrow defeat to the world champions in the second round.

Iceland are an extreme example where over the years, they have accumulated almost club side levels of familiarity, and collective practice. Italy apparently have a terrible squad, but their three centre halves and goalkeeper all play together every week, and it seems impossible to score against them, and everyone else has a clear idea of what they're supposed to be doing.

Wales know what they are doing, and this gives them confidence, which helps them play better. having gotten four points off belgium in the qualifiers, Wales know they're at least as well organised. Also they know that if they try, but fail then they're still heroes, who qualified for their first tournament in ages.

Imagine how difficult it must be to be an England player, who arrives into a team with limited sense of continuity, no discernible way or pattern of play, which leads to limited off the ball play, and no clear sense that they know what they are doing with or without the ball. Then Everyone expects you to win. And even if you do win, all you are doing is postponing the moment when you do eventually lose.

And when you do lose, you're slumped to the turf, trying to pull your face off like Jack Wilshire. Then everyone decides you're not trying hard enough, or not proud enough of playing for your country, as though those are the only things that govern how well a team does.

Every single problem in English football from top to bottom is then boiled down to "These players are lazy, overpaid cunts of poor character." Danny baker's tweets are a prime example, of the sort of Cuntish stupidity, or stupid cuntishness that characterizes this debate.

Iceland beat England despite 1/150th the population, because Iceland do literally every single possible thing to do with their national team right, and england do almost everything wrong.

Comment

Satchmo Distel wrote: Will the Wales win v Balgium divert media attention from the England debacle or make the scrutiny worse? The Wales fans were doing "Are you watching England?" in the stadium.
                              Yeah, don't know why we are doing that now. I mean it is football rivalry and I get it but, seriously, England shouldn't even be on our radar.

Comment

Especially with that tune ...

Comment

England should just hire everyone involved in running national team football in the Iceland FA. I'm sure they could afford to overpay.

Comment

Haven't read the thread, didn't watch the game but just saw this:Apparently Hodgson and Neville openly disagreed on coaching related matters. Certainly damage control/deflection going on (there is always plenty of scapegoating and finger pointing in these post mortems) but still obviously signs of an unhappy and divided camp.

Comment

I don't like that. When we are celebrating our most amazing win ever, we shouldn't be thinking about them. It's a bit funny though, I suppose, and it was only the once.

Comment

Bloody hell, I was pissed when I wrote the first post.

Comment

Not really, it shows how interested people are in age group football/sport in general.

Comment

Working...
                                          X