Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cod War Three: ENG-ICE

English lineup is apparently:

Hart, Walker, Cahill, Smalling, Rose, Dier, Rooney, Alli, Sterling, Kane, Sturridge

The Guardian reporting it as a 4-3-3 with Sterling and Sturridge flanking Kane; I think it much more likely that Hodgson sticks with the narrow diamond with Sterling as the tip behind Kane and Sturridge.

Comment

My wife and I have been willing Iceland to win matches ever since we went there six years ago, including eschewing the odd England qualifier to watch commentary-free streams of Iceland playing Cyprus in Laugardalsvöllur on betting websites instead. It was always brilliant the way the players would go and see the fans after every game. I was gutted they missed out on the World Cup, but delighted they've made it to the Euros and got through to the knockout stages.

Now I usually like to see England do well, celebrate the wins and all that, but the aggro from the England supporters around the Russia game, followed by the utter idiocy of the 17 million racists and morons last week has tipped me firmly over to Iceland for this one. Our painted wooden horse and puffin will be proud mascots in the house tonight.

Áfram Strákarnir okkar!

Comment

The England selection shown above seems to be a case of Roy thinking England played brilliantly in the group so no major changes are needed. He seems to have forgotten that he had to take off Sterling and Kane against Wales.

4-3-3 is a huge amount of work for the full-backs.

Comment

Rogin le fan du fauteuil wrote: I fear for Iceland shops on high street arcades up and down the country if Iceland do win. They'll all get bricked.
          Bloody Iceland, coming over here, opening supermarkets.

Comment

Allianz is nearly the smallest venue at 35k, I wonder how many fans Iceland will have there, probably 5k-8k, vs 20k for England.

Comment

I do wish they'd give pundits chairs that have arms!

Wright and Crouch look like they're on a scary rollercoaster ride when they're not talking.

I like Bilic's leaning forward habit - possibly totally against the studio director's wishes!

Comment

Iceland's goalkeeper is utter shite.
                He looks like Paddy Kenny's crapper younger brother and keeps goal like him.
                An early goal and they'll fold.

3-0 England.

Comment

Who else is playing Glenn Hoddle bingo?

Comment

Calvert wrote: Iceland's goalkeeper is utter shite.

3-0 England.
                    Reverse psychology in action.

Comment

Well, here's hoping.

Comment

tuckwat wrote: How about Nice in Nice (by the stranglers) as a safe non offencive thread title? Now we are out if the EU could there be more fishy wars ?
                        'Ice in Nice', surely?

Comment

If Allardyce Is Half As Nice

Comment

Ian Wright's shirt is something isn't it.

Comment

Calvert wrote: Iceland's goalkeeper is utter shite.

3-0 England.
                              He used to be a film director — directed Iceland's Eurovision entry in 2012 apparently. Surely that's got to give him some serious props.

Comment

Come on Iceland, though in many ways I'd prefer to see England go out to Germany in the semi-final, like in the good old days.

Comment

"Why do England keep losing on penalties, Glenn? Is there a mentality problem?"

"Nah, not really, it's just that none of our players can actually fucking kick the ball where they want it to go. Have you seen them try and trap it, pass it, shoot? Fucking hell, I'm amazed any of them ever do manage to wallop it vaguely goalwards when it comes to it, let alone aim for the corners. Even Beckham's last penalty for us is still circling the Earth, and we revere him as our greatest ever player. Jesus. What a stupid question."

I don't know if that was Glenn's actual reply, that was all I could hear in my head.

Comment

Someone just texted me to say Iceland have called up a new keeper: Makyorselflokkbiggarson

Comment

Loyalist flags in the England end, eeek!

Comment

Booing the anthem? Stay classy, Ingerland

Comment

Slovak TV commentator has just pointed out that Iceland has more volcanoes than professional footballers.

Comment

Is that right? 10 years since England won a knock out game at a tournament?

Comment

Just thankful that England probably won't meet Poland in this tournament. Imagine the racist aggro against Poles in England.

Comment

jameswba wrote: Slovak TV commentator has just pointed out that Iceland has more volcanoes than professional footballers.
                                                Amazing stat.

Comment

Has Gunnarsson looked so terrified during their anthem every game.

Comment

Channel four news has just done a feature on england fans, that, well, you'll be seeing it on social media soon enough.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X