Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, so far then, then

Seven games.
    Every country that has conceded first has lost. Except Russia.
    Every country that I've not visited in any shape or form has lost. Except Russia.
    Ho-hum...

So, so far then, then

There's a lack of surprises, but I guess that the format is designed to protect the big sides. It's more like a Champions League group phase than a 16 teams Euros in that respect.

Lots of goals from outside the box, which will please TV companies but not goalkeeping perfectionists.

Standard is OK, but some teams are rusty (France) or playing in 2nd gear (Germans yesterday).

Comment

So, so far then, then

So far, the story of the expanded competition leading to more whipping boys has proven unfounded.
      Probably because a large number of the so-called whipping boys would have qualified for the 16 team tournament.

Comment

So, so far then, then

Satchmo Distel wrote: some teams are rusty (France) or playing in 2nd gear (Germans yesterday).
        Friends theme tune earworm, thanks.

Much of the football seems to have been ridiculously fast-paced. I know this is something that happens incrementally each season and often it's only when you see footage from past decades that it hits you; but the game seems to have gone through some sort of watershed point, that's suddenly made me think "Slow down". I'm almost pining for a bit of languid tikka-takka. Almost.

Comment

So, so far then, then

Tactical Genius wrote: So far, the story of the expanded competition leading to more whipping boys has proven unfounded.
          Probably because a large number of the so-called whipping boys would have qualified for the 16 team tournament.
          Ireland can't get more whipped than they were last time.

Comment

So, so far then, then

The overall quality of attacking play has been very poor so far. Partly because until the last few moments of games they were losing, some teams have hardly left their own halves, which in turn of course makesit difficult for teams we'd normally expect to be flowing up the pitch to o aything of the sort. That's been brought on by the desire not to get off to a loss - all the more crucial in this format - so hopefully, now for some teams it is win or bust in the second roundof games, we might see some more expansive and risk taking play.

Comment

So, so far then, then

Take away Croatia's performance yesterday and there's been fuck all quality so far. And very few goals – 13 in seven matches. That's really poor. It works out at 1.86 per match. Euro 80, the worst EC of the modern era, had 1.93. Italia 90, another shocker, had 2.21.

Early days, of course. We've yet to see Spain or Belgium or Portugal. But the competition needs something good in a hurry.

Comment

So, so far then, then

Marcel Mumpeau wrote:
                Much of the football seems to have been ridiculously fast-paced. I know this is something that happens incrementally each season and often it's only when you see footage from past decades that it hits you; but the game seems to have gone through some sort of watershed point, that's suddenly made me think "Slow down". I'm almost pining for a bit of languid tikka-takka. Almost.
                That was Germany's second half v Ukraine. As a spectacle it was far less exciting than the first, but I found myself muttering "Ooh, they're doing it properly. It's June, it's a tournament, yay!"

Comment

So, so far then, then

Just realised that I've not been to Switzerland...

Comment

So, so far then, then

I had a Wolves poly reunion, so have only caught up on highlights this morning.

Germany was my only full 90 so far, and that went kinda predictably, though their 'false 9 or shit Gomez' dilemma may get interesting.

Glad to see I'm right that Croatia are very good, betting-wise.

I suggested in the AEB thread that Ingerlund were likely to be found out, even though they'll have lots of attacking creativity. Just didn't think it'd happen in the 1st game.

Comment

So, so far then, then

I'm disappointed with myself again, Clive.

Before every tournament I promise myself that I'll sort out the RTE situation and I never actually get round to it.
                      No Giles and Dunphy insanity or Après Match laughs, instead another few weeks of having to listen to ITV and BBC mundanity beckons.

Arse.

Comment

So, so far then, then

Giles is retiring (or, rather, being retired) when the competition is over.

Comment

So, so far then, then

Damien Duff, probably.

Comment

So, so far then, then

Is there an RTE app which shows the matches live?

Comment

So, so far then, then

RTE Player - but the live streaming's geo-restricted to the Republic, I think.

Comment

So, so far then, then

I checked it out.
                                Euro '16 'extras' but no live broadcasts.

Oh well.
                                I'll sort it for 2018.
                                Maybe.

Comment

So, so far then, then

I liked the fact that the first eight games were former Eastern Bloc countries against non Eastern Bloc countries. Well, it's the most interesting thing I've come up with over the last four days.

Comment

So, so far then, then

You could quibble abut Albania being "eastern bloc" (and also about Czechia and Slovakia and Croatia being ex "eastern bloc countries"), but that aside, yes, nice spot

Comment

So, so far then, then

Albania, Czechia and Slovakia were all members of the Warsaw Pact, but Croatia was not.

That said, a good portion of the country that now plays as "Germany" was also a member.

Comment

So, so far then, then

Borracho wrote: Take away Croatia's performance yesterday and there's been fuck all quality so far. And very few goals – 13 in seven matches. That's really poor. It works out at 1.86 per match. Euro 80, the worst EC of the modern era, had 1.93. Italia 90, another shocker, had 2.21.

Early days, of course. We've yet to see Spain or Belgium or Portugal. But the competition needs something good in a hurry.
                                        Well, Spain vs Czech Rep and Ireland vs Sweden have brought the average down a bit more.

This tournament reminds me a but of World Cup 2010: most matches have been entertaining enough; none offered anything really memorable.

Comment

So, so far then, then

Nobody's managed 3 goals yet, somebody tell me that's not a record.

If it weren't for old Schweinsteiger we wouldn't even have a two-goal margin.

Comment

So, so far then, then

OK, 1996 was a worse start. Funny how a 4-1 game repeated a hundred times blocks out a dozen others.

Comment

So, so far then, then

tee rex wrote: Nobody's managed 3 goals yet, somebody tell me that's not a record.

If it weren't for old Schweinsteiger we wouldn't even have a two-goal margin.
                                              That's not a record (yet). At Euro 96 it wasn't until the fifteenth game that any side scored three, Germany breaking the duck in a 3-0 win over Russia.

After that seven sides scored three or more in the nine remaining group games (Russia and Czech Republic both doing this in a 3-3 draw. Things settled down after that with no side scoring three in the seven knockout games (only Germany managed to even score twice).

Comment

So, so far then, then

This tournament has been a bit reminiscent of Euro 96, so far, right down to France beating Romania and Croatia beating Turkey in the opening round of games.

Comment

So, so far then, then

I've visited all of the winners except Croatia, and have not visited all of the losers except for Belgium.

It has been very reminiscent of Euro 96 - especially England's opening game being slightly promising before conceding a pointless equaliser. Which means we're due a slightly flattering 2-0 victory over a home nation, featuring a brilliant goal from the much-maligned star player.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X