AGB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AGB

Last edited by Defensive minded; 06-07-2019, 10:14.

AGB

They actually play decent football now, which is more than could be said for the Matthaus era.

Comment

AGB

I quite like this German side, which given my almost complete hatred of all of their teams from 1982 to 1998, with the notable exception of Pierre Littbarski, is quite a turnaround.

Comment

AGB

Smugness is better than the xenophobic aggression and underlying menace that surrounds England tournament runs, no?

Comment

AGB

Defensive minded wrote: A while ago someone called me a Scheiss-Engländer (English arsehole). I rather preferred that.

And the smugness is not free from xenophobia. It's just more subtle. Ask any German of Turkish heritage.
          Even with the strong tradition of Turkish Germans in the Weltmannschaft?

Comment

AGB

As the Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer of the Anti Gibraltar Brigade, I want to reassure all our members, sympathizers and the general public that Gibraltar didn't manage to qualify this time around. No need to worry.

Comment

AGB

I quite like Germany these days. Have done since 2010.

I've even got some of the Lego figures.

Comment

AGB

Defensive minded wrote:
                Originally posted by Ciarraíoch
                Originally posted by Defensive minded
                A while ago someone called me a Scheiss-Engländer (English arsehole). I rather preferred that.

And the smugness is not free from xenophobia. It's just more subtle. Ask any German of Turkish heritage.
                Even with the strong tradition of Turkish Germans in the Weltmannschaft?
                What strong tradition? Most of them opt to play for Turkey.
                Ozil, also Altintop's brother.

Comment

AGB

By default I always root against Germany but not for any reason of hatred, emotion, negative experience or what not.

It's that Germany with the strongest economy, second largest population and most decorated history in European football are the NY Yankees/LA Lakers/Manchester United of the international game. In terms of sheer resources they are always there or thereabouts and if they fail to perform well in one tournament they'll likely contend at the next one no matter what.

I'd rather extend my nominal, armchair support to any of the plethora of underdogs or underachievers.

Comment

AGB

Nah, I like it when germany lose as it pisses off English people.

Comment

AGB

Erm........what?

Comment

AGB

Tactical Genius wrote: Nah, I like it when germany lose as it pisses off English people.
                        Is that like Nigerians getting really depressed when South Africa loses?

Comment

AGB

I live in Germany and it's hell every two years. There's a reason there's the word Schadenfreude in the German language. It always seems like they enjoy that element more than their team actually doing well. Plus I've been to England home and away games and know the types who go to German aways and the cunts on the German side put the English cunts to shame.

Comment

AGB

Senfkutte wrote: I live in Germany and it's hell every two years. There's a reason there's the word Schadenfreude in the German language. It always seems like they enjoy that element more than their team actually doing well.
                            Schadenfreude is pretty much a defining characteristic of OTF as well. This board is really a bunch of Germans.

Comment

AGB

He is.

Comment

AGB

What's more English than wanting to piss off other English people?

Comment

AGB

I mean, look at the EU referendum. Few people know or care much about the EU, most people are driven by the desire to really stick the nut on hated culture war enemies (admittedly, this feeling is more intense on one side than the other).

Comment

AGB

Carniveraux Vulgarry wrote:
                                    Originally posted by Tactical Genius
                                    Is there something about English people specifically that you wish to see them pissed off?

Anyway, Germany - growing up I never really sensed any dislike of the (West) German team but I only really got into football from 1990 onwards so it's possible that I missed out on a lot of the players that made them so objectionable to others. There were a couple of dickheads in the German teams of 1990-2000 but no more or less than there were in any national side to my eyes. The current team are very likeable and play good football so I wouldn't count myself part of the AGB at all.

The only mildly negative experience I had with German fans came when Germany played Ireland at Croke Park during Steve Staunton's time as manager and even then it wasn't that negative. I found myself sitting in front of a couple of loud German fans who seemed more intent on pissing off the crowd of Irish surrounding them than paying attention to the match. But even then their work was in vain as they seemed to be under the impression that whatever would annoy English fans would annoy Irish fans. They kept singing "We won the last game at Wembely, Last game at Wembley, Last game at Wembley..." in a manner that suggested confrontation but all it got was a few bemused reactions.
                                    The Irish fans should have joined in. Maybe the Germans were trying to ingratiate themselves with the Irish.

Comment

AGB

Defensive minded wrote:
                                      Originally posted by Tactical Genius
                                      I thought you were English.
                                      I mean of course i love it when Germany wins.

As for being English, because I was born in a barn, it does not make me a horse.

I grew up in the days of Karl-Heinz Rumenegger. Karl-Heinz Forster, Klaus Allofs and Harold Schumacher.
                                      Germany were the pantomime villans for all sporting events, especially football.
                                      Growing up in early 80's England, you would have thought world war 2 had finished in 1978.
                                      I have had a soft spot for Germany since 1984 as I found the rejoicing of them premeturely going out of a competitions England didn't even qualify for a bit wrong.
                                      And most German footballers had aggressively cool names.

Comment

AGB

I'm right behind them as long as Jogi Löw's in charge.

Tell me, German speakers, what does he actually sound like? Is it like Rob Newman's character Jarvis from The Mary Whitehouse Experience?

Even if it's not, tell me it is.

Comment

AGB

Marcel Mumpeau wrote: I'm right behind them as long as Jogi Löw's in charge.

Tell me, German speakers, what does he actually sound like? Is it like Rob Newman's character Jarvis from The Mary Whitehouse Experience?
                                          Löw is Swabian, which is a dialect that's not easy on the ear. But you should ask a native speaker (or treibeis).

Comment

AGB

Defensive minded wrote: In some cases, however, it can be parent pressure. It's often the father's wish for them to play for Turkey.
                                            There's also quite some, let's say … keen scouting on the Turkish side.

Comment

AGB

Defensive minded wrote: It's starting again. Every two years I have to put up with patronising smugness and gloating for four weeks. I can only fully enjoy the tournament once they're knocked out, which barely ever happens before the semi-finals. You people from the AEB don't really have to put up with much at all.

Anyone else?
                                              I presume that this video of Jogi smelling his balls last night has not been common fare on the mainstream German media then? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hajqD_ylV0

Comment

AGB

I saw that! Absolutely astonishing.

He did a similar thing a few years ago at another tournament, sticking his fingers into his armpit and then putting them to his nose and having a good sniff.

Comment

AGB

I presume that this video of Jogi smelling his balls last night
                                                  I'm sure he was only applying Nivea as per manufacturer's instructions.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X