Your Team of the Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because there wasn't enough dead-eyed centre-forward finishing in the tournament (and far too many abysmally blasted shots over the bar) and even though Balotelli fell over his feet at times, his performance and goals in the semi-final alone are worth his inclusion.

Comment

Buffon
      Debuchy, Pepe, Chiellini, Alba
      Pirlo, Moutinho, Xabi Alonso
      Iniesta, Ronaldo,
      Fabregas

As E10 says the strikers were generally crap, so I haven't bothered with any

Comment

Analogue Bubblebath II wrote:
        Originally posted by David Agnew
        Not a fetish, but there were probably four good players in Group A. Dzgoev was a great forward with poor service. Obraniak gave great service to poor forwards. Maybe they stood out more because they were in weak teams.

Defensively Boenisch was solid, started most of Poland's attacks, and went forward well. Everything attacking that Poland did, went through Obraniak. His set pieces and crossing were also excellent. Had Poland had a decent striker, they'd have easily qualifed.
        Poland had a striker who'd just scored 30 goals for the champions of Germany, including a hat-trick against Bayern Munich in the cup final. He'd have looked a lot better in Euro 2012 if he hadn't been marooned on his own up front for most of the three games. Smuda threw on a couple of subs to partner him in the Russia and Czech games, but they looked very poor (including Brozek, fresh from a loan spell at Celtic where he died on his arse and didn't score a single goal).

Obraniak made no impression on me at all. Boenisch, well, the only thing I can say about Boenisch is that he's easily the tallest full-back I've ever seen.
        I wrote two match reports for Euro 2012, and they were both Polish games. Every positive move forward featured Obraniak. So much so that I started both matches with Blaszcykowski on my clip board (just in case) and replaced it with Obranik both times within 20 minutes.

Comment

Working...
        X