Your Team of the Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apologies if this covers redundant ground with the "European class he is" thread; however, that thread is asking for a full 23-man squad and this is more of the Fantasy Starting 11, based on their performances at this tournament.

Anyway, here's mine:

A bit of a cheat at RB, considering Lahm played every game at LB. That said, none of the RBs really stood out. Gebre-Selassie was excellent at times; he went missing when Ronaldo scored in the quarters though. Glen Johnson had a great game against Italy and almost gave the game away against Sweden with horrible positioning. Overall, Arbeloa and Joao Pereira were probably the "best" in that they did decent jobs without being outstanding. So I'm feeling within my rights to move Lahm over to the right.

The other tough call was up top, where again nobody stood out. I picked Gomez on the basis of scoring against Portugal, one of the better defenses in the tournament. I also considered going 4-6-0 in homage to Spain, in which case I probably would have picked Dzagoev.

I don't think you need a striker with Ronaldo and Jiracek in there. I would replace Gomez with Iniesta.

Comment

As tempting as it was to put a player like Lahm or Ramos at right back because of the utter dearth of good ones at the tournament, I tried to keep players in pretty much the position they played during the tournament.

I ended up with an entire Real Madrid defence.

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=6gy8

-----------------Casillas -------------------

Arbeloa ---- Ramos ------Pepe-----Fab Coentrao

----------------Xabi Alonso-----------------

--------Moutinho--------------Pirlo----------

---------------Fabregas-----Iniesta----------

-------------------Ibrahomovic--------------

Subs: Buffon, Chiellini, Jordi Alba, Modric, Sneijder, Ronaldo, Mandzukic.

ps. How do you get that line builder to display here?

Comment

Buffon

Debuchy
        Barzagli
        Hummels
        Alba

Marchisio
        Moutinho
        Iniesta

Pirlo

Gomez
        Dzagoev

Really hard to pick a team, given the overall dearth of real quality. Buffon had a flawed tournament but still made more good saves than anybody else. Hummels was great apart from one very bad mistake.

Gebre Selassie was brutally exposed on the two occasions that he came up against good opposition (Russia and Portugal) -- Limbersky on the other side of the Czechs' defence was much better. Ronaldo had one great game and one good game out of five, which is a dreadful return for somebody of that calibre.

Comment

Rooney and 10 Rooney clones surely? We all know he is the top, top (ad infinitum) player of all time.

Maybe Andy Carroll too for his exquisite technique - I've never seen anyone drink so many pints of booze with quite the aplomb of Mr. Carroll!

The Ladyboy as coach - a depth of knowledge about the game unrivalled by anyone other than Alan Shearer.

Comment

Who is the Ladyboy? Is it another name for Rooney?

Comment

dalliance wrote: ps. How do you get that line builder to display here?
              Took a screenshot, cropped it, uploaded it to Imageshack.

AB2 - Very good call on Debuchy, he was impressive and in retrospect, should have been my call for RB as well.

Comment

Ah ok, the share link thing doesn't work at all.

Comment

Torres has apparently won the Golden Boot because, according to Sky Sports News, he "played fewer minutes than the other five players who were on three goals".

He has a disaster against Italy, knocks in two goals against the weakest outfit in the tournament, doesn't show up against Croatia, gets dropped for the entire knockout stages, then scores a sitter in the dying minutes against an exhausted team who had long previously been reduced to ten men through injury, and this makes him the deadliest finisher at the 2012 European Championships. I can't think of a punchline.

Comment

Erics Inner Monologue wrote: Who is the Ladyboy? Is it another name for Rooney?
                    I think he's referring to the fact that Roy Hodgson looks a bit like an old lady.

He really is a twat isn't he? (Evan Evian, not Roy.)

Comment

I've never met a ladyboy that looked like Roy Hodgson.

Actually I should be a bit carefull here

Comment

I used to find him funny. Evian, not Roy.

Comment

Although, hang on, Roy as well.

Comment

Erics Inner Monologue wrote: I used to find him funny. Evian, not Roy.
                            I wish he'd change his name. Whenever I get to a post of his, I think it's by a poster here whose civilian name is Evan. And then I wonder why Evan, the nicest man in the world, is being a cunt. And then I realise that Evan isn't a cunt at all because it wasn't him writing cuntish shit.

It really is an aggravating waste of split seconds.

Comment

----------------Casillas-------------------

Pereira----Terry-----Pepe---------Alba

Rakitic---------Alonso----Moutinho-------Iniesta

-----------Balotelli--------Ronaldo----------

I'd also like to include Montolivo, who impressed me a lot in this tournament, but Alonso was just a more solid presence throughout. No room for Pirlo, I'm afraid.

Comment

Buffon
                                Debuchy Ramos Hummels Boenisch
                                Iniesta Pirlo
                                Obraniak Ozil Jiracek
                                Dzagoev

Comment

Comment

Sam Kelly wrote:
                                    Originally posted by Erics Inner Monologue
                                    Who is the Ladyboy? Is it another name for Rooney?
                                    I think he's referring to the fact that Roy Hodgson looks a bit like an old lady.

He really is a twat isn't he? (Evan Evian, not Roy.)
                                    Ah, my mistake - have just read one of his 'contributions' to another thread, and he explains that 'the Ladyboy' is Gabby Logan.

He seems to think Larissa fucking Riquelme is his ideal woman as well, which explains a lot.

Comment

David Agnew has a bit of a curious Group A fetish going on, the most feeble group in living memory providing over a third of his team.

While it's subjective I realise, was Boesnich really better than any of Alba, Coentrao, Cole, Lahm or Balzaretti?

Comment

Not a fetish, but there were probably four good players in Group A. Dzgoev was a great forward with poor service. Obraniak gave great service to poor forwards. Maybe they stood out more because they were in weak teams.

Defensively Boenisch was solid, started most of Poland's attacks, and went forward well. Everything attacking that Poland did, went through Obraniak. His set pieces and crossing were also excellent. Had Poland had a decent striker, they'd have easily qualifed.

Comment

Buffon

Debuchy
                                          Ramos
                                          Chiellini
                                          Lahm

Jiracek
                                          Pirlo
                                          Özil
                                          Iniesta

Ronaldo
                                          Cassano

I quite liked the Polish right back, Piszczek, but I'd go along with Debuchy. There were a number of impressive left backs, particularly Alba and Coentrão. Kadlec looked good at centre back for the Czechs, at least after the first match against Russia, and I thought Hübschmann and Pilar played well for them too. Of the forwards, Balotelli had his moments and Klose still looked the part when he played.

Comment

David Agnew wrote: Not a fetish, but there were probably four good players in Group A. Dzgoev was a great forward with poor service. Obraniak gave great service to poor forwards. Maybe they stood out more because they were in weak teams.

Defensively Boenisch was solid, started most of Poland's attacks, and went forward well. Everything attacking that Poland did, went through Obraniak. His set pieces and crossing were also excellent. Had Poland had a decent striker, they'd have easily qualifed.
                                            Poland had a striker who'd just scored 30 goals for the champions of Germany, including a hat-trick against Bayern Munich in the cup final. He'd have looked a lot better in Euro 2012 if he hadn't been marooned on his own up front for most of the three games. Smuda threw on a couple of subs to partner him in the Russia and Czech games, but they looked very poor (including Brozek, fresh from a loan spell at Celtic where he died on his arse and didn't score a single goal).

Obraniak made no impression on me at all. Boenisch, well, the only thing I can say about Boenisch is that he's easily the tallest full-back I've ever seen.

Comment

No, Obraniak I can barely remember doing anything to be honest. I was more aware of Blaszcykowski because of his reputation and he was very ordinary. Don't remember much about Boenisch either, most attacks tended to start right side for the Poles.

I'd agree Legandowski did not have great support but I wasn't impressed with his movement anyway. Plenty of endeavour but not much incision.

Comment

Based on not-always-forensic watching of each match:

Casillas; Gebre Selassie, Hummels, Pepe, Coentrao; Pirlo; Iniesta, Moutinho, De Rossi, Ozil; Balotelli

Comment

Why Balotelli?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X