Germany and Portugal - Losing SFs in 2006 and 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm wondering if both teams found a plateau that year and are at essentially the same level now as then.

Seeing as Germany has reached a final in the intervening years, and deserved to reach another, the answer seems to be: no.

Comment

Which year did they deserve to reach another Final?

Comment

Not sure. Spain and Italy thoroughly outplayed them in the last two semi-finals.

Comment

How Germany reached the 2008 final:

http://en.archive.uefa.com/competitions/euro2012/history/season=2008/round=15095/match=301697/report=rp.html

Comment

Yeah, great game that one, I seem to remember the TV pictures blacking out at one point in the second half due to bad weather in Vienna (the game was in Basel, so triffic organisation there).

Comment

I'd have to say this was the best Portugal team, even better than '04. They certainly wouldn't have lost to the Greeks with this team.

Germany 06, certainly playing at home, was better than this team.

Comment

dalliance wrote: Which year did they deserve to reach another Final?
                2010. The year of overrated victories.

Comment

Let me use your exact wording back at you. It's nonsensical to suggest that Germany deserved to beat Spain in the 2010 semi-final.

Comment

Did I say they did? I said they deserved to be in the final, I did not specify by which route.

Comment

What other route was there apart from the one the format decreed they and all the other teams in the competition would have to follow?

Comment

To answer the original post, nah. These were pretty young teams this time around and I would think they would reasonably expect to be at least as good or better in the future, whereas both of the 2006 teams were mainly centered around an old guard of players where you knew they'd probably given their best.

Ages of the German starters against Italy: 26; 28, 23, 23, 23; 27, 25, 27, 22, 23; 26

That's outrageous, not a single player 30 or older and only 5 players older than 25. Lahm and Pigclimber should definitely be around in Brazil and have a good chance at being at 2016 as well. Making a semi-final with such a young squad and having it be a disappointment, is pretty impressive.

Ages of the Portuguese starters against Spain: 24; 24, 29, 30, 28; 26, 25, 29; 27, 28, 25.

Pretty much that entire lineup should be available in Brazil as well, although replacing the central defenders will be a concern for 2016 and onward. It's still a younger lineup than Spain, and if Olivera continues to develop, I think they could reasonably expect to contend for at least the next two major tournaments.

Comment

dalliance wrote: What other route was there apart from the one the format decreed they and all the other teams in the competition would have to follow?
                          You know what I meant, and now you are showing off like 15-year-old intruding on an adult conversation.

Comment

I'd say this tournament has added even more scent of roses to Mourinho.

Benzema. Ozil. Khedira. C-Ron.

They all simply play better for him.

For Germany, they have that choice to make with Loew. The players did not play to their full potential, and have they reached their plateau with him. Mourinho looked at Barcelona's untouchable stranglehold, and did everything to break it. Does Loew's "there is absolutely no reason to question everything now," cut it ?

(Not concern trolling, by the way.)

Comment

jasoń voorhees wrote: I'd say this tournament has added even more scent of roses to Mourinho.
                              On the other hand, Pepe was a revelation - not only in the quality of his football, but especially in his steady, dogged and reasonably unspectacular solidity. And NONE of that cuntitude he constantly displays under Mourinho.

I suspect the first part of that is related to the second.

Comment

jasoń voorhees wrote: I'd say this tournament has added even more scent of roses to Mourinho.

Benzema. Ozil. Khedira. C-Ron.

They all simply play better for him.

For Germany, they have that choice to make with Loew. The players did not play to their full potential, and have they reached their plateau with him. Mourinho looked at Barcelona's untouchable stranglehold, and did everything to break it. Does Loew's "there is absolutely no reason to question everything now," cut it ?

(Not concern trolling, by the way.)
                                But Mourinho gets 10 months a year with those players; Loew gets maybe a tenth of that.

And maybe they were knackered as were the Bayern players?

Comment

I didn't rate Portugal's 2006 vintage much (route to the SFs: an ugly win over Holland, dull pens win over England) - not as good as those of 2004 (or, with largely different personnel, 2000). They looked better this year than six years ago.

Comment

You know what I meant, and now you are showing off like 15-year-old intruding on an adult conversation.
                                    Well it seemed to me (and to Janik) that you meant Germany deserved to beat Spain in 2010. Which was bollocks.

So then you said it wasn't that, but won't actually provide any sort of sensible alternative answer to explain your original bollocks point.

Instead you indulge in some infantile name calling because I push you on the point? Classy guy!

Comment

For somebody who revels in wearing the crown of Most Patronising Poster on OTF, you seem to have a very thin skin when you are challenged by the same method.

You persisted in pursuing the line about Germany beating Spain after I said it's not what I meant. The alternative implication is pretty obvious: I believe that on performance Germany deserved to be in the final, as much or more than Holland. It really is not a difficult conclusion to arrive at.

Having a teenage son, I recognise that line of "debate". So instead of asking politely for a clarification, you shout "bollocks" at what you think I might mean. And then you wonder why your tone is met in kind?

An adult would have said something like: "Ah, got you. Yeah, they deserved it more than Holland" or "Rubbish, Germany's victories against England and Argentina were overrated, and Holland deserved it more to be in the final."

But if you'll be obtuse, on ocassion I'll exercise my prerogative to call you on that. And I'm not particularly worried whether you like it.

Comment

Ah, the fantasy victory theory. Never mind the reality of the draw, in my addled mind had we faced anyone else but Spain in the semi-final then I have arbitrarily decided we would probably have deserved to win that game and reach the Final, only to lose to umm... Spain a round later.l.

So no, that was not clear because it's such a infantile argument and I can't believe you are making it. Was it worth acting such a prick to try and get this across g-Man, really?

Anyway fuck it, time for a long break from here I think.

Comment

Because I called you a teenager?

Comment

I would say that Holland, in defeating Brazil and Uruguay, had earned their spot in the final. Brazil were better than England or Argentina; Uruguay were a tough nut to crack, with a solid defence and top strikers, arguably better than Argentina, definitely better than England.

Comment

Working...
                                            X