Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Platini's 2020 vision

Michel Platini says Euro 2020 could be spread across continent

Uefa president Michel Platini says the 2020 European Championship could be spread across various cities in Europe, rather than having a single host.

Traditionally one or two countries have hosted the tournament, which is being held in Poland and Ukraine this summer.

The next competition in 2016 will be hosted by France.

"The Euros in 2020 could be held all over Europe," said Platini. "It could be either one country and 12 stadiums, or one stadium in 12 or 13 cities."

Turkey had been favourite to host the event but their bid has hit difficulties due to a desire to host the Olympic Games in Istanbul in the same year.

Platini confirmed a final decision would be taken in January or February next year.

"This matter will be discussed very seriously," he added. "We will have a great debate about 2020 and discuss the pros and cons.

"It's an idea I feel really passionate about, it will be a lot easier from a financial perspective.

"We are not going to wait until we know whether Turkey are going to get the Olympics.

"It creates a problem for us. We do have other candidates. Everyone has the possibility to host it.

"It is easier to go from London to Paris or Berlin than Cardiff to Gdansk. It would be four games per venue. It is a great debate."

Platini added: "We are just thinking about it. I have said 12 or 13 host cities, it could be 24 or 32.

"It is the political decision that needs to be made. We wouldn't have to build stadiums or airports. That could be important in an economic crisis."

Platini's 2020 vision

The man loves travel agents, travel agents and talking out of his arse.

Comment

Platini's 2020 vision

I feel great sadness at seeing what's become of Platini, or "Platoche" as he is/was affectionately known in France. He was my boyhood hero throughout my teens (I'm French). He always seemed cheerful and genial. I have so many fond memories of him, eg with "la Rouille" at Nancy (Olivier Rouyer). We all thought he was super cool.

Now, I cannot stand the sight of the man or the sound of his pompous voice. He is so fucking smug it's unreal. He is one egregiously pig-shit ignorant useless politician. At least Blatter does not pretend he has the good of the game at heart.

Comment

Platini's 2020 vision

"It is easier to go from London to Paris or Berlin than Cardiff to Gdansk....."
        I see that he's widened his vendetta to everyone in Wales now.

Comment

Platini's 2020 vision

Even Blatter has converted to goal line technology. It's Platini who is holding it back.

I suppose with this pan-European Euros there would always be a stadium in France... and France would play all their games at home.

"It is the political decision that needs to be made. We wouldn't have to build stadiums or airports. That could be important in an economic crisis."
          Yes, he really is talking out of his arse.

Comment

Platini's 2020 vision

This statement's roughly what I posted on the other expanded Euros thread a few weeks back.

I expect the cities will be concentrated in four countries or so and not in 12 countries which the UK media are already banging on about.

Good idea from where Im sitting. Lets "smaller" countries co-host when theyd never be able to host solo. A Scandanavian euros or a Balkan one seems fine to me.

I fully expect to be in an army of one on OTF in my feeling on the matter.

Comment

Platini's 2020 vision

Perhaps they could play more qualifiers and then just the latter stages- say semifinals and final- in one country over the course of a week? In other words, go back to the system operated between 1960 and 1976. Then there'd be no need for massive new stadia, and they could save the cost of all those expensive UEFA fact-finding missions. It would mean no guaranteed place for the hosts and holders (and therefore they'd have to play competitive qualifying matches and wouldn't find their FIFA ranking artificially reduced). Also, the finals could be played in virtually any FIFA country as long as there are two or three decent sized venues, which would surely please little Michel. Euro 2024 in Wales, anyone?

Comment

Platini's 2020 vision

This is just Platini`s way of asking the UK to put in a late joint bid and get him out of a hole...........

Not as far-fetched a theory as it might first seem

Comment

Platini's 2020 vision

Kev7 wrote: He is one egregiously pig-shit ignorant useless politician.
                  Apart from the useless bit - he's been quite successful, politically - , someone at UEFA once said much the same thing to me.

Comment

Platini's 2020 vision

I think it's an interesting idea and should be trialed. Ideally, no team would play in their home country and fans would travel to the game as they would in a championship. Tickets would be sold to the two FA's and local people who'd probably want to see a game in the EC and ensure every game is sold out.

Most importantly, no more white elephant stadiums would be built by corrupt politicians with public money.

Also, training camps could remain in their own country, which would help avoid a lot of the stress the participants are put under whilst being away from their families for such a long time.

Comment

Platini's 2020 vision

This is just Platini`s way of asking the UK to put in a late joint bid and get him out of a hole...........
                      You have to wonder why the FA have shown no interest in it, with or without the rest of the UK. England can't possibly get the WC now until 2034 at the earliest, with the Turkey situation we would surely be favourite if we bid for Euro 2020.

Unless I'm mistaken stadiums only need to be 35k compared with 40k for the WC, which brings a few more grounds into play without upgrade work as well. Seems a no-brainer.

Comment

Platini's 2020 vision

I think anyone who's even planning for a "Euro" anything in 2020, should be applauded. In particular for the foresight to realise that the tournament may have to played among the 12 or 13 remaining entrants whose stadia may have stood up to the inevitable nuclear barrage following the uprising against the bankers.

Comment

Platini's 2020 vision

I don't see how it makes things easier for the more skint fans. Irish fans in Poland could camp out somewhere and then take a 6 hour train ride from Poznan to Gdansk and back again. And then if Ireland had made it to the next round they'd have had to play somehwere on the other side of Ukraine, half a continent away. Poland/Ukraine was stretching it enough as it is.

Contrast this to Euro 2000, when all the stadia were within three hours of one another. A fan could follow their team all the way to the final on a minimal budget, and take in other matches as well on the days in between. That was ideal. I really hate Goran Straveski.

This whole London to Paris to Berlin lark is the talk of a guy who is totally out of touch with reality. Yes, it may be easier for Platini to fly into those airports, but all that flying about costs money.

As for the talk of "having" to build new stadia and airports, that's bollocks too. It's UEFA who are demanding brand new five star stadia and then awarding the tournament to the nations that promise to build them. The fans don't care if the stadia are 15-20 years old. In fact, those stadia are probably better because they've had time to get broken in with regards to match day logistics, infrastructure/cafes/restaurants around the stadium, growing proper grass, etc. As for airport infrastructure? Ryanair can charter flight thousands of fans into any runway with a barn. No sparkling terminals required.

Comment

Platini's 2020 vision

Having not really thought too long about it, I like the idea.

From 2016, you'll need 12 venues, with capacities of 30,000 or more. How many nations can provide that? England, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, maybe Russia, maybe Turkey. How many could find six venues to co-host? Portugal, Austria, maybe Switzerland, Belgium, Netherlands, Sweden, Poland. Ukraine struggled to provide four.

No-one in their right mind is suggesting that teams will have to travel from Lisbon to Yerevan to Reykjavik in the space of 12 days, but you could ask six nations to provide a list of stadiums, and they could provide as many as they want, and get venues featured every other Championships.

It means you can use 12 bigger stadiums, which means more tickets, it means no weak hosts distorting the size of the groups, and it means you can

You could have a South-Western-European set for 2020 of Lisbon, Porto, Madrid, Barcelona, Milan, Rome, Paris, Lyon, Munich, Stuttgart, Zurich and Basel.

You could then have an South-Eastern 2024 of Vienna, Prague, Bratislava, Budapest, Maribor, Sarajevo, Podgorica, Skopje, Sofia, Tirana, Athens, Istanbul

Back up to North-Western Europe for 2028 with Dublin, Cardiff, Glasgow, Edinburgh, London, Manchester, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Brussels, Bruges, Hamburg, Dortmund

Northern Europe in 2032 could have, Odense, Copenahgen, Malmo, Stockholm, Oslo, Trondheim, Reykjavik, Tampere, Helsinki, Riga, Tallinn, Vilnis

North-Eastern Europe in 2036 could feature Moscow, St. Petersburg, Kyiv, Donetsk, Warsaw, Lodz, Minsk, Bucharest, Chisinau, Tbilisi, Baku, Yerevan.

And that's with no real thought or planning, and no country visited more than twice in 16 years. And most of them in smaller areas than a Russian bid on it's own, or USA 94 demanded. Two neighbouring cities for each group, Four sets of 2 or 3 neighbouring cities for the last 16 and quarter final, then 3 different neighbouring cities for the final. The only bit the fans would need to plan with little notice would be the 2nd round/quater final stage, but the Euro 2012 semi-finals are 1500 miles from each other in two different countries, so what is the difference between then and now?

Bryaniek wrote: Even Blatter has converted to goal line technology. It's Platini who is holding it back.
                            At least someone in a position of power is. Most fans are split on whether they want goalline technology or not. It's nice to have one person in a position of power who agrees with half the fans.

szczeweeeeeeeee wrote: I think it's an interesting idea and should be trialed. Ideally, no team would play in their home country and fans would travel to the game as they would in a championship. Tickets would be sold to the two FA's and local people who'd probably want to see a game in the EC and ensure every game is sold out.

Most importantly, no more white elephant stadiums would be built by corrupt politicians with public money.
                            These are two excellent points.

Bryaniek wrote: I don't see how it makes things easier for the more skint fans. Irish fans in Poland could camp out somewhere and then take a 6 hour train ride from Poznan to Gdansk and back again. And then if Ireland had made it to the next round they'd have had to play somehwere on the other side of Ukraine, half a continent away. Poland/Ukraine was stretching it enough as it is.

Contrast this to Euro 2000, when all the stadia were within three hours of one another. A fan could follow their team all the way to the final on a minimal budget, and take in other matches as well on the days in between. That was ideal. I really hate Goran Straveski.
                            Somebody in Belgium or the Netherlands could have done it on a budget, easily. The two games I went to cost a fortune in travel and accomodation.

As for the talk of "having" to build new stadia and airports, that's bollocks too. It's UEFA who are demanding brand new five star stadia and then awarding the tournament to the nations that promise to build them. The fans don't care if the stadia are 15-20 years old. In fact, those stadia are probably better because they've had time to get broken in with regards to match day logistics, infrastructure/cafes/restaurants around the stadium, growing proper grass, etc. As for airport infrastructure? Ryanair can charter flight thousands of fans into any runway with a barn. No sparkling terminals required.
                            No, the reason why the stadiums need to be rebuilt, is because they can't hold the 30,000 minimum needed. Look at Euro 2008 - one ground was 40,000 capacity, the rest were 30,000, and you had a 1 in 7 chance of getting a ticket. You've also forgotten that with tens of thousands of tourists, they're going to want or need hotels, or somewhere to stay for the night.

Comment

Platini's 2020 vision

No, the reason why the stadiums need to be rebuilt, is because they can't hold the 30,000 minimum needed. Look at Euro 2008 - one ground was 40,000 capacity, the rest were 30,000, and you had a 1 in 7 chance of getting a ticket. You've also forgotten that with tens of thousands of tourists, they're going to want or need hotels, or somewhere to stay for the night.
                              Well they chose to host it in Poland and Ukraine. They could have had it in Italy where there are plenty of good size stadia already built. So they host it in Poland and Ukraine, big stadia are built and hardly any of the matches sell out.

As regards accommodation - most fans are doing it on the cheap. Obviously somewhere with better facilities than Kharkiv is needed, but a Paris and London level of hotels isn't needed. Most are staying in camp sites.

The two games I went to cost a fortune in travel and accomodation.
                              The game I went to in Poland cost a fortune in travel and accommodation as well. But if I had chosen to stay in Poland for more games then I could have extended my stay on the cheap, staying at some camp site somewhere and taking a bus to the other cities. The biggest cost for the fans is travelling to the host country. If there are to be multiple host cities scattered across the continent then the costs become huge.

Comment

Platini's 2020 vision

Nice ideas, David A.

I for one wish the USA World Cup would've been regionalized. All on one coast or the other just to keep the ambiance of the fans.

I remember being in downtown Pontiac, Michigan, nary a Swiss supporter in sight, or a USA supporter who was at the game. Only Paul Kitson of the Detroit Neon indoor team. Contrast that with the Dutch invasion of Braga I saw in 2004 with the Latvians coming down from the mountains as gametime came closer. Or the Dutch and Swedish around Faro.

Comment

Platini's 2020 vision

Bryaniek wrote:
                                  Well they chose to host it in Poland and Ukraine. They could have had it in Italy where there are plenty of good size stadia already built. So they host it in Poland and Ukraine, big stadia are built and hardly any of the matches sell out.

As regards accommodation - most fans are doing it on the cheap. Obviously somewhere with better facilities than Kharkiv is needed, but a Paris and London level of hotels isn't needed. Most are staying in camp sites.
                                  I was in Kaiserslautern for the World Cup. No hotels. I tried booking a hotel the day I found out I got tickets there, none available, because they're booked up bu US military families all year round.

The two games I went to cost a fortune in travel and accomodation.
                                  The game I went to in Poland cost a fortune in travel and accommodation as well. But if I had chosen to stay in Poland for more games then I could have extended my stay on the cheap, staying at some camp site somewhere and taking a bus to the other cities. The biggest cost for the fans is travelling to the host country. If there are to be multiple host cities scattered across the continent then the costs become huge.
                                  The biggest cost is usually flights. You can get trains from Belgium to Germany, and Italy and Austria and more. Once again, no one is suggesting you play three group games in Lisbon, Yerevan and Reykjavik. They'll keep the group stages to two localised venues per group, say Brussels and Amsterdam. At 150 miles, that's a hell of a lot closer than Milan is from Rome. Munich to Bratislava (not even in neighbouring countries) is a shorter distance than Milan to Rome.

Comment

Platini's 2020 vision

Is this platini warming everyone up for having euro 2020 in ireland scotland and wales?

Or alternatively is he starting to realise that it could be tricky to host a european championship with 144 teams in a traditional setting. Maybe they should have thought about the practical difficulties of expanding the European championships to include 40% of all those trying to qualify.

Comment

Platini's 2020 vision

David Agnew wrote:
                                      Originally posted by Bryaniek

I was in Kaiserslautern for the World Cup. No hotels. I tried booking a hotel the day I found out I got tickets there, none available, because they're booked up bu US military families all year round.
                                      And how will the new format address this?

Comment

Platini's 2020 vision

Because if you're going for a city in that area of Germany, you choose Frankfurt instead. Whereas the German World Cup needed 10 cities, so needed to choose them both.

Anyway, Bryan, you can settle down. Seems Platini only wants to have this idea in 2020, to celebrate the 50th anniversary.

Comment

Platini's 2020 vision

8 different countries hosted "finals" matches in 1972 and 1976, after the qualifying groups had finished.

Comment

Platini's 2020 vision

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: Is this platini warming everyone up for having euro 2020 in ireland scotland and wales?

Or alternatively is he starting to realise that it could be tricky to host a european championship with 144 teams in a traditional setting. Maybe they should have thought about the practical difficulties of expanding the European championships to include 40% of all those trying to qualify.
                                            I know Platini wants to spread the football message to hitherto unreached parts but there are limits.......

Comment

Platini's 2020 vision

David Agnew wrote: Because if you're going for a city in that area of Germany, you choose Frankfurt instead. Whereas the German World Cup needed 10 cities, so needed to choose them both.
                                              They could have chosen a better location though. They didn't bother to use the Weser Stadium in Bremen. Bremen is a decent sized city with plenty of hotels and a nice city centre. Would have been a great host city.

Comment

Platini's 2020 vision

Anyone for a European League?

Comment

Platini's 2020 vision

I really don't see how adding a tinpot cup is going to make contemporary internationals from major countries take friendlies any more seriously than they do now.

It reminds me a bit of the attempt to make the Intertoto relevant.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X