X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy Bignutz
    replied
    The Final: Spain v Italy

Beltrano Carpinteiro wrote: What was that fact mentioned in the Ger v Ita thread about the regularity of the final being a repeat of a group game?
    It's every other tournament since it was first possible in 1984 (1988, 1996, 2004, 2012)

Leave a comment:

• scratchmonkey
    replied

Considering that both sides had chances to win that opening game, I would be a little surprised if either coach made any major changes from those lineups, especially since Maggio will be back from suspension, allowing Balzaretti to go back to the left and Chiellini to slide into the backline.

Italy will have to make a change though in that Barzagli was unfit in that first match; however, he's been excellent since then, as has Bonucci and I don't see either of them getting dropped. So that leaves De Rossi, Motta, Marchisio, Pirlo and Montolivo for three central midfield spots.

I think we'll see De Rossi, Pirlo and Marchisio, although it's possible that Prandelli will feel that they'll need more hands on deck against the nippy Spanish midfielders and brings on Motta for either De Rossi or Marchisio -- I can't see Pirlo being dropped as he's the engine of this Italian side.

Of course, Prandelli could also stick with the winger-less 4-4-2 and possibly drop Bonucci. This would allow him to keep the midfield that worked so well against England and Germany and with Spain's lack of width, he might be comfortable allowing his fullbacks to play very high up on the attack, with De Rossi dropping into the backline for a temporary 3-5-2 when they have the ball.

As for Spain, I think we'll see the exact same lineup from the opener. And it will be narrow and turgid. Del Bosque has pulled some surprises in finals before though, with Pedro notably starting in 2010. I wouldn't be shocked to see something similar here, possibly Pedro replacing Silva, who looked like he'd picked up an injury against Portugal and hasn't been very effective in general.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    started a topic The Final: Spain v Italy

What was that fact mentioned in the Ger v Ita thread about the regularity of the final being a repeat of a group game?

I'm really looking forward to this despite knowing as we all do that finals are usually disappointments. If the game takes off it could be a real clash of styles and philosophies and I just hope Italy find a way to prevent Spain choking the life out of the match.

Will be interesting to see if they revert to the 3-5-2 of the opening game. I expect them to do so because why have four players at the back with no forward to mark?

I can't think of a Spain v Italy game without recalling '94 and the Tassotti/Enrique clash. Does the history between the sides and Spain seeming to view Italy as a bogey team through their failure to (properly) beat them at tournaments have any relevance any more?
Working...
X