Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So when did you stop filling in your wall chart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

. . . looking back at the thing, cast around from one bit of the room to another like a listings magazine, I realise that I gave up on June 18. Spain-Croatia. Though I did write down six of the eight quarter finalists. I feel as though I have let posterity down. I can imagine Alisha finding this wallchart among my papers after I'm gone and assuming the tournament must have been abandoned.

Comment

Still doing it. I think the toughest moment comes when you have to fill in the group standings. You have to be disciplined and do one a day. Faced with all four in one go, you'll most likely give up, or your pen will stop working because it's tilted at the wrong angle for too long, and then you'll have an excuse to give up.

Still got the Euro 2008 chart pinned to the old fridge, now in the basement because it was summer 2008 we put it down there. And when I peruse the chart while fetching beer, I'm amazed at how many of the games I know I watched, from start to finish, and can't remember a damned thing about them.

Waste your life - watch football.

Comment

Lunchtime today.

Comment

I've been filling in these blessed things since 1974.

Since I moved into my current flat in 2000, however, the wallchart has always been Blu-tacked to the back of my bedroom door and is always filled in. Tradition dictates that it has to be removed before the final, to be filled in on conclusion and then folded into whichever World Cup/Euro Guide I shelled out for in the first place. You see, once it's gone, it's gone.

I recall having two on the go in 1990 - one in the bedroom and one in the bathroom. God knows why. The only year I didn't fill one in was 1998, when we had one on the go in the offices at Talkback. Instead, I bought a World Cup mag with a free CD-rom and filled that in instead: in these primordial times, they hadn't worked out a way of filling in the shoot-outs, so as far as I was concerned England/Argentina, Italy/France and Holland/Brazil all ended as honorable draws.

My sister tells me she's found the 1978 wallchart among stuff at my mother's house. I'll try and post an image of it on here - because I know you're all dying to see it.

Comment

Working...
          X