SF2 - Loew match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SF2 - Loew match

No thread for the second semi? Surely we can't be using one of the anybody but... threads, it should be one of positivity and mutual respect for two entertaining quality teams. I'll be watching this game knowing that either of these teams will enhance the final and I'll be happy that either goes through. All I ask is that they whup fucking Spain in the final.

SF2 - Loew match

Has to be Germany, would be too good to see them get revenge for 2006, then double-up with payback for 2008 and 2010 in the final.

An intriguing game because it's hard to predict which lineup either team will use -- Prandelli has been chopping and changing the whole tournament and while Italy looked good against England, I think they probably bring Motta back in and play with just Marchisio as an attacking mid behind Cassano and Balotelli.

As for Germany, I have no idea who they'll start up top or on the wings. My guess is that Gomez comes back in, as does Müller on the right and then Reus plays on the left to pin back Abate or Maggio and keep Italy fairly narrow in attack.

Comment

SF2 - Loew match

Maggio is suspended I think. Which fact also almost certainly puts paid to any return of the 3-5-2.

I think they'll line up much as they did against England, with possibly Di Natale in for Balotelli. I hope anyway (the di Natale thing rather than the 442 thing)

Comment

SF2 - Loew match

Maggio is in fact suspended, so they are pretty much hoping that Abate can come back as I'm not sure who plays on the right if he can't go. That makes the idea of Reus starting on the left that much more attractive if he's going to be running at somebody nursing an injury.

Ballack has stated on ESPN's coverage that he expects Gomez, Müller, and Podolski to come back into the starting lineup.

Comment

SF2 - Loew match

Kicker reckons Klose will stay in, but the original wide players will come back, which I'd approve of.

Comment

SF2 - Loew match

Another one that I am just going to enjoy the match and, hopefully, the winner will deserve it.

On, one hand, I Loew Germany but something sublime from Pirlo and/or Ballotelli would be fine. Germany v Spain may be the better final but really I am happy any which way. I am loving football at the moment.

Comment

SF2 - Loew match

According to La Gazzetta dello Sport Italy's side will be Buffon, Abate, Bonucci, Barzagli, Chiellini; De Rossi, Pirlo, Marchisio; Montolivo; Cassano, Balotelli.

Given the long, emotional QF and two days extra rest for Germany, who are a better side anyhow, I'd have liked him to cast his net over the squad more.

De Rossi is said to be suffering but wants to play, Cassano must be shattered and was way off in the QF. It is a remarkable recovery by Good Old Giorgio.

I'd have liked Giovinco (no surprise) or Di Natale instead of Cassano, and Nocerino and Balzaretti in place of De Rossi and Chiellini respectively, given we really cannot afford to be carrying injuries into a game against Germany.

Unless thrashed (I'm very worried about being overloaded on the wings and much more besides), it's going to be a brilliant night in Milino's Bar Sport.

Semi finals! Who'd a thought it? Not me, I must admit.

Comment

SF2 - Loew match

Someone's just mentioned to me that Germany have never beaten Italy in a major tournament. That can't be right, can it?

Comment

SF2 - Loew match

It is. And some of the Italy wins have been among the most classic games of football ever. (70, 82, and 06 in particular)

Comment

SF2 - Loew match

Yes, 2006 was great. Italy had, what, 5 strikers on near the end? In Dortmund, where Germany had never lost. They could take risks going forward. It didn't matter. Cannavaro was cleaning everything up. And then Pirlo beautifully controls that rebound from the corner, sucks in three German defenders and does the blind pass straight onto Grosso's left foot. It was a beautiful moment in a very exciting match. Let's watch it again/

It was like the antithesis of tikinaccio.

Comment

SF2 - Loew match

Ah yes, Grosso's Tardelli tribute

Comment

SF2 - Loew match

Bill Bones wrote: Someone's just mentioned to me that Germany have never beaten Italy in a major tournament. That can't be right, can it?
                        Yup, 7 played, 4 draws, 3 losses.
                        The Guardian has a nice diashow of the seven.
                        Especially I remember the 1970 loss as crystal clear as only an absoluty heartbroken, then 9 years-old can remember. The 2006 loss hurts still as well; goals in the 119. and 121. minute!
                        I hope for redemption today!

Comment

SF2 - Loew match

I mentioned a while back how in alternate Euros, the finalists had played each other in the groups. I hope that doesn't happen now!

Comment

SF2 - Loew match

Whatever happens, let's hope it's over in normal time.

Comment

SF2 - Loew match

In this tournament, mumpo, there's no such thing as normal time.

Comment

SF2 - Loew match

ottokleff wrote:
                                Yup, 7 played, 4 draws, 3 losses.
                                And only one of these three defeats came in normal time.

Comment

SF2 - Loew match

Yes, G-man, the 1-3 at '82.
                                  That one didn't hurt even then because the italian team were absolutly dominant.

Comment

SF2 - Loew match

Germany know that they'll have to beat their two bogeymen in order to win the tournament, within the space of 4 days. It's an odd situation, so odd it almost has a weird sense of destiny about it.

Yes, I am getting carried away.

Comment

SF2 - Loew match

According to Terry Pratchett it helps to throw a blanket over a bogeyman to fight it. Perhaps Yogi Löw should try that tonight.

Comment

SF2 - Loew match

Spain will probably prefer Italy in the Final, but they too have never beaten Italy in a tournament match - assuming you count the 2008 Euros game they won on penalties as a draw.

Three wins to Italy and four draws.

Comment

SF2 - Loew match

Bryaniek wrote: Yes, 2006 was great. Italy had, what, 5 strikers on near the end? In Dortmund, where Germany had never lost. They could take risks going forward. It didn't matter. Cannavaro was cleaning everything up. And then Pirlo beautifully controls that rebound from the corner, sucks in three German defenders and does the blind pass straight onto Grosso's left foot. It was a beautiful moment in a very exciting match. Let's watch it again/

It was like the antithesis of tikinaccio.
                                          I'll never forget the almost instantaneous cut the director made after Del Piero's goal to the crying German fan. What a game that was.

edit: here's a video with the Italian commentary subtitled:

Comment

SF2 - Loew match

Kroos, Podolski and Gomez.

Comment

SF2 - Loew match

COME ON ITALY!!!!!

Comment

SF2 - Loew match

This Italian team has been far too likeable at this tournament. Time for them to go home, or to do something to make me hate them again.

So a Germany win, or some disgusting bit of cheating and/or thuggery will suit me fine.

Comment

SF2 - Loew match

I guess the massive amount of italian game-fixing and betting wasn't enough for you.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X