Anyone but Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone but Germany

Over-preparing, squad-bonhomie-ensuring, technically gifted, named-after-farming-terms sausage-eaters.

Admittedly, it's been 16 years since Germany last won anything, but until England win something before them, that's not long enough.

Anyone but Germany

'Die Mannschaft' is the new 'Azzurri'.

Comment

Anyone but Germany

Heh. "National-Nesta-manschaft"

But bollocks to that. Surely everyone sane and sounds wants Germany to win now.

Comment

Anyone but Germany

Their manager rocks. He looks like a character from 'I Spy' or 'Man In A Suitcase' and he's got a great name. I love the way it's pronounced in English. Jurgen Love. Mr Love and Justice. Fucking brilliant.

Comment

Anyone but Germany

It's not even authentic, they tend to say Nationalelf, although I'm sure this has been done several times.

Comment

Anyone but Germany

It's pronounced Lurve.

Comment

Anyone but Germany

The mannschaft of Lurve is probing some parts of the old lady. Fnar etc

Comment

Anyone but Germany

It's not even authentic, they tend to say Nationalelf,
                Quite right. Nationalmanschaft or Nationalelf, and if the context makes it clear which eleven we're talking about, you might get away with "Die Elf" (which sounds a bit grinch-like). I've never come across that "Die Manschaft" crap since a few weeks ago.

Comment

Anyone but Germany

Elf Freunde is selling a t-shirt with 'All You Need Is Löw' on it. I want one so badly I can hardly sleep at nights.

Comment

Anyone but Germany

"They say this Mannschaft is a baaad mother-"
                    "You shut your mouth!"
                    "But I'm talking about-"
                    "No really, shut up, this is a terrible joke"

Comment

Anyone but Germany

This is the first time, since my residual support for England finally dried up in around, oh, 2002, that I've actively wanted a single team to win an international tournament rather than hoping that the teams I despise lose.

Tragically, I fear that Jogi and his wonderful boys are once again destined to be vanquished by the Spanish aguafiestas.

Comment

Anyone but Germany

a successful tournament for Deutschland will mean bigger crowds in the Bundesliga, ticket shortages and higher prices for us football tourists.

So on that entirely selfish note Avanti Azzurri!

Comment

Anyone but Germany

Unlike most of OTF, I've been on a football-starved diet since the last World Cup. So imagine my tingling anticipation as I hauled myself out of a winter bed for the last two games. And imagine how much I wish I hadn't bothered.

Only Germany can rescue me now. Unless they are suddenly possessed by the ghosts of Schumacher and Stielike, they have my undying love, for about a week.

Comment

Anyone but Germany

I was watching Germany's 2-1 win over Belgium in the 1980 final the other night, and the team (which featured Schumacher and Stielike) was way better than the stereotype remembers it - which is as a functional, efficient, victory-grinding machine. Tons of flair in there, and I wish Bernd Schuster hadn't fallen out with the DFB and played on through the 80s.

Comment

Anyone but Germany

Yeah, Germany definitely. Not that it will be easy against a stubborn Italy and an even more resolute Spain.

Comment

Anyone but Germany

imp wrote: I was watching Germany's 2-1 win over Belgium in the 1980 final the other night, and the team (which featured Schumacher and Stielike) was way better than the stereotype remembers it - which is as a functional, efficient, victory-grinding machine. Tons of flair in there, and I wish Bernd Schuster hadn't fallen out with the DFB and played on through the 80s.
                                The final was easily won of the best from the godawful '80 tournament.

Comment

Anyone but Germany

Imp, I can reconcile myself to supporting Germany today, but revising my teenage prejudices is going too far. Evidence be damned!

Next you'll be telling us Paul Mariner didn't win the Golden Boot.

Comment

Anyone but Germany

and I wish Bernd Schuster hadn't fallen out with the DFB and played on through the 80s.
                                    He was going to make himself available for the 1982 World Cup, but Andoni Goichoecha shattered his knee ligaments a few months before the tournament.

Comment

Anyone but Germany

Come on the Germans.

Their style deserves a trophy, It's time for this generation to step up and win one. 11 years without a German team winning a continental or National competition, it's got to end soon surely. or has it? They've come up short in plenty of semis and finals in that time, they've even started bottling penalties.

Maybe they traded in their old winning mentality for their new sexy football, and became Holland.

Comment

Working...
                                      X