Defining the Essential Qualities of a Great Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a minimum of characteristics that a great player must possess? Must he have influenced tactical changes in the game; done things no previous player had done; been universally admired?

Influenced tactical changes in the game? I think only a select handful of players have done that. Rory Delap immediately springs to mind. And John Fashanu.

Comment

Influenced tactical changes that improved the quality of the sport?

Fixed.

Comment

satchmo76 wrote: Is there a minimum of characteristics that a great player must possess? Must he have influenced tactical changes in the game; done things no previous player had done; been universally admired?
        I don't think he needs to have done any of those things. I don't think Zidane, or Maradona would qualify using your criteria.

I think there's a tendency to over-anaylse stuff. Great players are just better at kicking a football around than not-so-great players.

Comment

These non-matchdays really are slow, aren't they?

Comment

Stevie G has done what no-one has before (won a European Cup pretty much on his tod, not to mention an FA Cup Final), and he's naturally and universally admired. Has he influenced tactical changes in the game? Well, many teams now set themselves up, tactically, to cope with the "oh God, Gerrard's got the ball, what the fucking hell are we supposed to expect now?" moment, not least Liverpool and England.

Comment

Have you laminated your "Stevie G" poster, or do you jut by a new one after every time?

Comment

Working...
              X