Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do we dislike England?

[quote=Pietro Paolo Virdis post=683065

England 1990. That's the one side I remember easy to like.
    Even though we all fell in love with Cameroon, but what a fantastic side.
    The rest, to detest.[/quote]

Cameroon 1990 were a bunch of clogging thugs as I recall..
    If that were a European side they would have been roundly criticized for their antics

Comment

I'll try to be more pithy.

Being full of wind and piss doesn't endear especially when it is so disconnected from reality.

An almost near ideological commitment to the least joyful, most miserably 'risk-averse', ugly, allegedly 'functional' football only adds to the mix.

Clear enough?

To expand:

Both attitudinally (from players, coaches, and many of the fans) and in terms of actual action on the pitch England is generally the nadir of the beautiful game (as it should be at its very best). Expressive creativity, beauty and style simply aren't wanted or desired – they are not in this context footballing virtues but rather untrustworthy 'foreign' vices.

Long may it continue as it's enormously funny!

Eventually the typical 'Ingurlander' might just learn some genuine humility and realise they don't 'own' the game in anyway, shape or form, that they have no special status within it, that they do not enjoy some automatic right to turn up and win.

Or even ditch the background assumption that in playing against such non-Ingurlanders those lesser peoples, (by merely being allowed on the same pitch), should ipso facto pay fealty to the inventors, hence the true 'masters' of the game - but then again hell might freeze over before the underlying, unstated delusions of being 'pivotal to the game' as a whole dies.

Oh yes it's every professional players highest dream to play at Wembley against England etc., after all what could possibly be a greater achievement than to be allowed to play against England?

Comment

Evan do us a favour will you shut up?

Comment

Evan Evian wrote: I'll try to be more pithy.
          If you could pith off altogether, that'll be better.

Being full of wind and piss doesn't endear especially when it is so disconnected from reality.
          Still, at least you've got self awareness going for you.

Comment

I have a slight worry he is a pisstake of me

Comment

Wait, you mean you didn't just change your username?

Comment

Why I oughta...

Comment

I'm Scottish and due to the Tartan Army, I concentrate more on disliking my own national team than England, though I go through phases of being more sympathetic.

I supported England at Euro 2004 because I watched most of the tournament in Glasgow with an English pal and the Mel Gibson-influenced thought process of most of my fellow countrymen irritated me.

By the third day of World Cup 2010 I'd developed a mild dislike of England, fuelled by an ITV commentator who sneered "this could be fun" after the opening goal against USA.

Comment

It's not so much 'England' that I hate (although one or two players seem unpleasant people), it's the way you can't have a sensible conversation about them the way you can about most other football issues.

We all *knew* we weren't particularly good in the run up to Euro 2012. We all *knew* England weren't a team of world-beaters and getting out of the group would be an achievement. And then the pundits start talking about 'with all this against us, could it be our year?' 'Look at what happened with Greece in 2004.' 'Unfancied teams do win the Euros...' and so on.

What started as fairly realistic soon became that overly-optimistic delusional sense that this would be England's year. It was almost as if they were fated to win because they were shit, rather than despite the fact they were shit.

That's just annoying.

Oh, and before a potentially exciting game between two decent countries having thirty minutes of commentary that covers the upcoming game in five minutes and then cuts to an interview with an England squad player who mumbles his way through the normal trite observations that we heard the previous night from a different squad player. And it doesn't stop when England go out because then you just have the mumbling monosyllabic ers and yeahs from the same squad players explaining why it didn't work out after all, but no one has the courage to say 'we weren't good enough, our tactics failed, they were better than us'.

Comment

What started as fairly realistic soon became that overly-optimistic delusional sense that this would be England's year.
                      Yes but, to be fair, that was all punditry. Every single England football supporter with even half a clue remained realistic through out and, to a degree, seemed to enjoy it more for it.

By getting in Hodgson, the FA have appeared to started a process of expectation management that may mean that England supporters will accept their totally acceptable perennial QF status that will last for a generation at least. We will see come 2014 if Hodgson's longer tenure by then will have kept those expectations tempered.

I have a feeling that the supporters may still be realistic for the most part but the media and the pundits, perhaps, not so much

Comment

Working...
                      X