• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do we dislike England?

As a national side
    OK, let's get it out of the way now.

My personal opinion:

- You almost hate your own national side. You have no sense of love towards your own no matter what, only when they win.

- The arrogance of media

- They think they'll win simply because they're England

- So many arrogant players. So many non-stars.

---

Love

Darren Anderton
    McManaman
    John Barnes
    Waddle

Oh, I forgot.
    Because England are not Ireland, which I love.
    Ireland have never had players even close to what England have had, but they play with heart. Not wallet or other bullshit, heart.

Comment

I believe it started with the Premier League, whose start was just a couple of years before the last finals where England looked admirable (Euro 96). Sven's teams were hard to like as personalities or players and there's been no improvement since.

In the 1970s, I can recall disliking Keegan because he was a superstar footballer with no obvious gifts who somehow dominated the team. Although I was English, I could see that Scotland had better players (1977 being the classic case).

Comment

I like England, or rather the collective experience of supporting them with a nice bunch of friends.

Comment

Haters gonna hate.

Comment

satchmo76 wrote: I believe it started with the Premier League, whose start was just a couple of years before the last finals where England looked admirable (Euro 96). Sven's teams were hard to like as personalities or players and there's been no improvement since.

In the 1970s, I can recall disliking Keegan because he was a superstar footballer with no obvious gifts who somehow dominated the team. Although I was English, I could see that Scotland had better players (1977 being the classic case).
            England 1990. That's the one side I remember easy to like.
            Even though we all fell in love with Cameroon, but what a fantastic side.
            The rest, to detest.

Comment

For the Celtic nations, it is a perfect storm really. Traditional football rivalry, historical arrogance of the FA and an over-the-top media. Maybe the Austrians feel the same way with the Germans or the San Marinese with Italy.

Look at it this time round. Lower media hype and expectation plus a lack of arrogance from the players, manager and the FA have meant a low-key reaction from ABE/AEBers on here. It's left us more with the normal football rivalry.

Comment

satchmo76 wrote: In the 1970s, I can recall disliking Keegan because he was a superstar footballer with no obvious gifts who somehow dominated the team.
                Kevin Keegan was voted European footballer of the year twice in a row and is still rembered in Germany as one of the greatest players to have graced the Bundesliga. He destroyed Gentile (in a World Cup match in which by today's standards Gentile would have been sent off on at least three occasions) and Berti Vogts (who was widely regarded as the best man marker of his era) and yet he still wasn't able to cammand a regular place in England's team until late on in his career. In several interviews he admitted that he was not the most talented of players, but had achieved every thing with hard work.

I wish the current team had an ounce of his talent,

Comment

Defensive minded wrote:
                  Originally posted by satchmo76
                  In the 1970s, I can recall disliking Keegan because he was a superstar footballer with no obvious gifts who somehow dominated the team.
                  Kevin Keegan was voted European footballer of the year twice in a row and is still rembered in Germany as one of the greatest players to have graced the Bundesliga. He destroyed Gentile (in a World Cup match in which by today's standards Gentile would have been sent off on at least three occasions) and Berti Vogts (who was widely regarded as the best man marker of his era) and yet he still wasn't able to cammand a regular place in England's team until late on in his career. In several interviews he admitted that he was not the most talented of players, but had achieved every thing with hard work.

I wish the current team had an ounce of his talent,
                  This I like

Comment

True, I can see goals like his 1-2 with Brooking against Scotland and see he was a great player. I just don't think his gifts were obvious in the way that you can see that Dalglish had a great turn, etc.

Comment

The rest, to detest.
                      A good example of how our "likes" are influenced by changes in media coverage, and (improving) public attitudes.

Mark Wright was as obnoxious as John Terry, we just didn't know (or worse, care). I thought he was England's version of the classy continental sweeper, not a nasty bigot. Ignorance, bliss, etc.

Comment

Yes, the celebrity culture has a lot to do with it, doesn't it? As does the arrogance which in many players accompanies their wealth and stardom. And, given the EPL's global reach, familiarity can deepen contempt.

I don't suppose John Terry isn't the first player ever to have banged his teammates' wives or to volunteer to black opponents which racist insults he did not convey. But we know of his exploits because of the coverage football receives (which, in turn, facilitates these players' celebrity and wealth, which can lead to contemptible behaviour, like shooting at interns).

But I don't think I used apply any greater leniency in judgment towards players of previous eras, such as Graeme Souness or Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, about whose off-field activities I knew little. Kalle certainly seened a pleasant young man in private, but, oh, I despised him in his Magirus-Deutz sponsored red shirt.

You just like some players, and you enthusiastically don't like others. England just seems to have such a surfeit of the latter.

Comment

Where's that picture of Keegan and Emlyn Hughes kissing Thatcher?

Comment

It's interesting how the England team is disliked because of some of their players. Yet those players are with their clubs the vast majority of the time so, on a point of principle, surely those clubs should be disliked too? I imagine sometimes they are...

Comment

Half the problem is we expect England to be as good as the English clubs. Whereas I suspect the reality is that if you put the English national side out in the Champions League, Real Madrid or Barcelona would rip them a new hole. It would be 4-0 by half-time.

Comment

There's a case, that's been put on here, for playing beautiful football at the expense of effectiveness. There's a case, that's also been put on here, for playing effective football at the expense of beauty. But if you play ugly and lose...

Comment

Oh good, another thread where people can explain their dislike of the England team. It's been a while.

I suppose we should be flattered that you care so much. Mostly, I couldn't give a toss about your countries. If you have an Everton player in your side or play really good football, I'm likely to be well disposed towards you, if not then I'm indifferent.

Bored, there's no historical football rivalry between England and Wales. England and Scotland yes, but Wales, and I know this sounds arrogant and patronising, but you're just an afterthought. It's a bit like Hull City fans saying their big rivalry is with Leeds. It's not reciprocated.

Comment

Well, I was taking it from a Welsh perspective as the thread isn't called "Why do we dislike Wales?". Yes, though, that sort of patronisation helps. Indeed, the oft-mentioned "We'd support you if we were knocked out, why don't you support us" doesn't help either

Comment

I can see why that would grate, but rest assured, I wouldn't support Wales if England weren't there.

There have been times - mid 80s when they had Southall, Ratcliffe, Van der Hauwe - when I was well disposed to them, but generally, it's a case of being indifferent rather than patronising.

Comment

meregreen wrote: Oh good, another thread where people can explain their dislike of the England team. It's been a while.

I suppose we should be flattered that you care so much. Mostly, I couldn't give a toss about your countries. If you have an Everton player in your side or play really good football, I'm likely to be well disposed towards you, if not then I'm indifferent.

Bored, there's no historical football rivalry between England and Wales. England and Scotland yes, but Wales, and I know this sounds arrogant and patronising, but you're just an afterthought. It's a bit like Hull City fans saying their big rivalry is with Leeds. It's not reciprocated.
                                        Surely therein lies the rub? For Wales, beating England would be a big deal. One sided as it may be that still constitutes a rivalry of sorts in that they are looking to put one over on you when able. It does sound arrogant and patronising and that is pretty much the whole ABE thing in a nutshell, we enjoy it more when there's plenty hubris on the Angles part, the higher the fall the funnier.

This time around, as Bored has said,things have been lower key. The squad with the exception of Terry and to an extent Ashley Cole are not the most offensive characters, the media (apart from that gomerel Lawrenson) have been fairly low key and Roy Hodgson something of a gentleman.

Comment

There is nothing sinister about my dislike, I became an ABE after two years of living here simply due to the relentless crap churned out by the media. The fact a lot of numpties wake up every other year with the need to be full of "passion" and turn the place into a festival of jingoism does not help either.

I don't think there is anything particular about England, Id probably be the same in Germany, say. I certainly was antagonistic towards France because of the relentless chauvinistic crap the French media pumped out, but this has abated a fair bit nowadays.

Comment

RoberMnicus wrote:
                                            Surely therein lies the rub? For Wales, beating England would be a big deal. One sided as it may be that still constitutes a rivalry of sorts in that they are looking to put one over on you when able. It does sound arrogant and patronising and that is pretty much the whole ABE thing in a nutshell, we enjoy it more when there's plenty hubris on the Angles part, the higher the fall the funnier.
                                            Of course it would be a big deal for Wales. But it wouldn't be much of a deal for England to beat Wales. For Tranmere, beating Everton would be a big deal, but it wouldn't be a big deal for Everton fans to beat Tranmere.

Is that patronising or just an an accurate reflection of the way things are? Wouldn't it be more patronising to feign interest in the fixture?

Comment

The English media are largely arseholes. Blame for that is shared by the political class, but not, I think, by footballers or fans.

Comment

You have to differentiate between the team and the brand. The likeability of each is not identical. I certainly liked how England played at times in Euro 96 and still admire that team as players, but the brand it helped create (Baddiel & Skinner, politicians at games, the Sheffield band) just reminds me of all I dislike about the country. In that sense, the brand kills the team.

Comment

tee rex wrote:
                                                  The rest, to detest.
                                                  A good example of how our "likes" are influenced by changes in media coverage, and (improving) public attitudes.

Mark Wright was as obnoxious as John Terry, we just didn't know (or worse, care). I thought he was England's version of the classy continental sweeper, not a nasty bigot. Ignorance, bliss, etc.
                                                  What's Mark Wright done? I though he was Hercules during the 1990 World Cup, although I was only ten years old at the time.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X