Wayne Rooney: England's Pele?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wasn't alive back when Pele was playing so I wouldn't know but for the whole Rooney = the 'white' Pele to be true, well. . .Pele must obviously have been total shite back in the day, right?

Judging by your posts, you weren't alive back when Zidane was playing.

Comment

I think England's Robbie Keane would be a more accurate description.

Comment

Evan now England are out will you still continue posting on here?

Comment

Evan Evian wrote: I wasn't alive back when Pele was playing so I wouldn't know but for the whole Rooney = the 'white' Pele to be true, well. . .Pele must obviously have been total shite back in the day, right?
          Pelé won fuck all in Europe, in club football. Pelé isn't even shit Rooney happened to step in, and I'm not even a Rooney fan, or England fan.
          Pelé is a cunt. Rooney is not.

Comment

No but he won a few things where the best players played at the time.

Comment

Pelé is still a cunt. He think he knows he's the greatest player ever. The fucking touring clown.
              Compare with Zidane, who would never even dare to promote himself as the best player in the history of the sport, yet he is.

Comment

Has Pele ever claimed to even be the best ever Brazilian player? There are far more arrogant players: George Best, Maradona.

I would say that the goals he scored in the 1958 tournament at aged 17 are a unique feat of greatness; and he actually became a better player after that. I think when he played England circa 1964 (from memory) he was at his peak and was just incomparably great at that point.

Comment

Pele has regularly blown his own trumpet about his legendary status, especially in spats with Maradona about this unofficial title.

I wouldn't resent him this, it's hardly a misplaced claim in his case. What I am curious about is why anyone would ever think Zidane should be even mentioned in the same breath as Pele.

Comment

I seem to recall the real best player of all time, Franz Beckenbauer, acknowledging Pelé as the greatest ever.

Comment

It goes:
                      Pelé
                      Cruijff
                      Best
                      Messi
                      Maradona
                      Beckenbauer
                      Zidane

That's how it goes.

Comment

If you had to choose one player, cloned ten times, to occupy ever position on the pitch, you'd fill every position with a top class player in Beckenbauer. I don't think you could do that with any of the others.

Comment

Actually the correct answer to that question is Ruud Gullit!

Comment

Maybe Di Stefano. I also recall that Best could tackle.

I think greatness implies having taken the game forward in its technical and imaginative possibilities. Messi qualifies because it's really his presence that makes TT work for Barcelona against the best defences. Pele arguably was the main man who dragged football out of the 50s whilst Best was the figure who helped working-class male fans be less deferential and back their own talents and imaginations. Puskas showed England how far they had dropped behind.

Comment

G.Man wrote: If you had to choose one player, cloned ten times, to occupy ever position on the pitch, you'd fill every position with a top class player in Beckenbauer. I don't think you could do that with any of the others.
                              John Charles, innit.

Comment

No one's ever compared Rooney to Pele in the sense that he was, or would be, as good a player.

The confusion comes from 2004, when Eriksson was asked whether he could recall a player of Rooney's age having a comparable impact at a major tournament, he mentioned Pele in 1958. The press heard the words Pele and Rooney in the same sentence and they ran with it.

Besides, as everyone knows, Colin Harvey was the White Pele.

Comment

G.Man wrote: If you had to choose one player, cloned ten times, to occupy ever position on the pitch, you'd fill every position with a top class player in Beckenbauer. I don't think you could do that with any of the others.
                                  Paul Madeley.

Or, as Dalliance says, Gullit.

Comment

I guess after his performance in this tournament, Rooney would be a good spokesman for impotence.

Comment

If there is something to be learned from Rooney's poor physical state at the Euros, it's that Hodgson was quite right not to take Micah Richards at the expense of a player who had agreed to be on the stand-by list and was still in training.

That caused a discussion at the time, Richards might be a better player than Kelly but in drinking cocktails in the Caribbean rather than training he was physically and mentally switching off for the summer. He wouldn't have been in the right condition either way had he come back at the last minute.

And I think there is an element of this with Wayne Rooney. Because he was suspended for the first two games he was allowed to go on holiday to Las Vegas or wherever. He was allowed to switch off and I think it really showed in his condition.

He lacked sharpness which might have come through lack of football for 5 or 6 weeks, but more unusually for him he was lacking in legs. He was visibly wheezing from maybe 15 minutes into the game and this was part of the reason England made so little impression on the Italian defence.

Comment

Eusebio was the Black Pelé, I read recently.

Comment

No but he won a few things where the best players played at the time.

The New York Cosmos!

Comment

If Rooney had any sense he'd retire from international football. It's fucking thankless. Stay where he's appreciated. Well, until he decides to fuck off to city for £300k per week in a couple of years, obviously.

Comment

Working...
                                            X