Anyone But Spain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone But Spain

This is where we are, someone from the remaining trio of opponents must defeat them.

Otherwise, if you want a vision of the future imagine a size 5 boot playing square passes in to a human face - forever.

Anyone But Spain

Do they all have tiny feet then?

Comment

Anyone But Spain

Doesn't sound too bad, as it goes.

Comment

Anyone But Spain

Yes, probably. Xavi, Iniesta and Silva look like dainty-footed things don't they?

Or, you know, it could have been poetic license. Are you with me here or not?

Comment

Anyone But Spain

I think they will up the tempo against Portugal and (presumably) Germany, basically because they will have to. Portugal and Germany have a goal in them against a Puyol-less defence. I'm not sure 1-0 can do it this time.

Also, as has been said before, a team that beats Portugal and Germany would be worthy winners, irrespective of anyone's antipathy.

Comment

Anyone But Spain

Well, I dunno, I mean, if you're lying about the feet, what else might you be lying about?

I dunno. I quite like watching Spain. Sorry.

Comment

Anyone But Spain

Ha ha, you foo, Harry. Anyone out of the last four would be fine. Actually, Italy will have to step up from tonight but, you know, if they do, great.

It's a beautiful game, football, a beautiful game

Comment

Anyone But Spain

Spain were boring V France but at 1-0 up they must have wondered why France were refusing to do anything about it?

The French seemed happy to be within touching distance and then have a go for 10mins at the end.

I don't think we can blame the team who keeps the ball, other teams need to step up. England V Italy tonight was much the same, superior team keeps ball, inferior opponents defend.

Comment

Anyone But Spain

I'm not sure how serious the opening post is but if you don't enjoy watching the likes Xavi Hernandez and Andres Iniesta playing football then you should just fuck off and watch rugby.
                  Or something.

Seriously, what's the matter with you?

Comment

Anyone But Spain

Due to the very strange scheduling, Portugal have had two days extra rest and hardly had to bother against the Czechs. Plus they know a thing or two about Spanish football.

A Portugal-Italy final could save this tournament.

Comment

Anyone But Spain

I'm bored flaccid by Spain's play. It's like watching computer programmers write code or the nail-biting climax of Chartered Accountant of the Year.

Fetishising possession and pass completion rates to the detriment of any other aspect of play leaves me cold. It might be supremely effective but effectiveness was the defence for Route One Football and that didn't mean it was enjoyable. I would like some excitement in tournament football and they don't provide it.

Read the thread about last night's quarter-final (and similar ones from WC 2010) and it really isn't that uncommon a viewpoint.

Comment

Anyone But Spain

Can't agree, Harry.
                        It's an absolute pleasure watching Spain play, like France '98-2000.
                        We're seeing one of the great sides, love it while you can, it can't last forever.
                        I've been in Spain for the last ten days and it's been a blast watching their games with the locals.

Comment

Anyone But Spain

While Spain's play may be boring to some, it is very skillful, effective and it is not as if any current sides can easily replicate it.

Until they hit a bad patch (or employ a new manager) can't see why they'd drastically alter it.

Comment

Anyone But Spain

I don't want Spain to win, but not because I hate the way they play or because I hate the team. It's just, you know, time for somebody else to win.

Having said that, all of my Anyone Buts (France, Holland and England) are gone, so I'll be OK with whoever wins.

Comment

Anyone But Spain

Surely, it's a win for football if Spain win again.
                              How many times have we seen the best team playing the best football win a tournament three times in a row.

Comment

Anyone But Spain

Bryaniek wrote: Due to the very strange scheduling, Portugal have had two days extra rest and hardly had to bother against the Czechs
                                Is the schedule really strange? Surely it manages to allow every team (bar the winner of the second semi-final), at least four days between matches, while providing TV viewers with games on 16 of the first 17 days. Wouldn't any significant change to that simply mean extending the whole thing into a fourth week?

I'm with Calvo Sotelo on this, the seleccion are a joy to watch. Chicken tika-taka futbol. But remember, they aren't unbeatable.

Comment

Anyone But Spain

Beltrano Carpinteiro wrote: I'm bored flaccid by Spain's play. It's like watching computer programmers write code or the nail-biting climax of Chartered Accountant of the Year.

Fetishising possession and pass completion rates to the detriment of any other aspect of play leaves me cold.
                                  Now Harry, is this partly a Swansea thing?

Comment

Anyone But Spain

Chartered accountancy is rather exciting isn't it?

Comment

Anyone But Spain

Ha ha! Given that I would currently support them in any supposed South Wales derby against the Red Dragon Franchise, not really. I do sometimes have the same sort of feeling towards their bloodless style though, especially when Paolo Sourpuss was in charge.

Comment

Anyone But Spain

Defensive minded wrote: Surely, it's a win for football if Spain win again.
                                        How many times have we seen the best team playing the best football win a tournament three times in a row.
                                        Never, nor will we now. The technically most skilled football is not necessarily the best football. Spain are exquisite to watch when they are good, but, damn, they can be dire to watch in those endless 1-0s. That is so this year, and that was so in 2010, when Spain struggled to a lucky 1-0 win over a very average Paraguay side while Germany was putting four past Argentina.

Comment

Anyone But Spain

Defensive minded wrote: Surely, it's a win for football if Spain win again.
                                          Never, nor will we now. The technically most skilled football is not necessarily the best football. Spain are exquisite to watch when they are good, but, damn, they can be dire to watch in those endless 1-0s. That is so this year, and that was so in 2010, when Spain struggled to a lucky 1-0 win over a very average Paraguay side while Germany was putting four past Argentina.

Comment

Anyone But Spain

Come on. Obviously, "best" is objective but if you are going to have a measure then surely winning three major trophies in a row is a pretty good one for an international team?

Comment

Anyone But Spain

I'd say Germany were pretty damn close of winning three in a row: 1972 won, 1974 won, 1976 lost on penalties.

Comment

Anyone But Spain

..and they were the best team at the time?

Comment

Anyone But Spain

That is so this year, and that was so in 2010, when Spain struggled to a lucky 1-0 win over a very average Paraguay side while Germany was putting four past Argentina

How can you even compare those two games? Why would you not compare it to Germany's turgid attempts to break down a similarly ultra-defensive Serbia?

Paraguay were a defensive side who defended doggedly in depth against Spain and even when they went behind they looked more interested in keeping the score down. Argentina, as we have discussed, were naive to the point of embarrassment with an unqualified buffoon for a manager.

Reputations are built by sides as much based upon the failing of their opponents than what they do themselves. That early 70s West German team which recorded the famous Netzer inspired win at Wembley was a fine side, it was a fine side that on the day came up against a plainly stupid English line up without a midfielder who could tackle.

No wonder Netzer had his best game for his country. People forget that England then played four tacklers in midfield in the return and drew 0-0, though the result was unimportant by that point.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X