So, the tournament proper starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A sigh of relief, now we can enjoy the tournament without worrying about, well, you know, that thing.

How do we see it panning out now? Which semi are you looking forward to most? Who will get through?

I'm going for a Germany - Spain final, like many others, I'm sure.

I would fear that Portugal and Italy, especially the latter, may not give Spain and Germany a tough enough test for those game to be any more enjoyable than the QFs in terms of uncertainty of outcome.

I think we are now relying on Portugal to prevent this being dominated by the big two, as it has threatened to be since 2010 to be fair.

Comment

Portugal would be nice, for Ronnie's sake. I don't mind a bit of domination, though, if those doing it are properly convincing.

Comment

I don't mind. Out of the 4, Italy still aren't convincing as much they promised from the first game but, you know, they have to start now.

As far as the other three, Germany-Spain would be great and I see Germany beating Spain this time. Having said that, for Portugal to beat Spain, they would have to outplay them rather than stop them playing and, if they do, I would love to seem them in the final and then I don't mind

Comment

Agree with the sense of relief. The fact they were in the last of the QFs cast a shadow over the earlier games- that nagging fear.

A top-quality, big boys fighting it out, Ger-Spa final would be fine by me.

But I'm also so impressed by/indebted to Pirlo that I would happily grant him a last Final appearance.

Comment

The final in 2008 was Spain-Germany, and it would have been the final of 2010, too, had the draw kept them apart at the semi-final stage. They're clearly the best two teams at this tournament too, and so naturally the final will be Portugal - Italy.

Comment

Germany has never beaten Italy in a competition (four draws and three defeats, two of them after extra-time), and they have not beaten Italy in their past ten games, the last win coming in 1995 in a friendly.

I'm not confident at all that Germany will go through.

Comment

1) Spain vs Germany, yes please...
                2) Spain vs Italy or Germany vs Portugal, not bad...

Just please not Italy vs Portugal.

Comment

I have no problem with Italy v Portugal as I think Portugal would be more adventurous than against Germany. Portugal can rip through Italy.

Comment

I just can't imagine that a final featuring Portugal won't be infinitely more entertaining than one featuring Spain.

Comment

As long as Portugal don't win, I'll enjoy the rest of the tournament. No team with both Ronaldo AND Nani can be allowed to win. Not in a world where there is anything good and decent left in the world.

Comment

I feel Germany should be in the final. They've looked the strongest side and played the best football. And I suppose, if they are the next great European side then there would be something symbolic about them dethroning Spain in the final.

Ideally though, either Spain or Portugal to win it. Portugal, because they'd be new winners and because Ronaldo has been brilliant and endearingly committed.

Spain, because I'm not quite bored with them yet and I like the idea of them making it 3 in a row and setting up an epic World Cup in 2 years time featuring them, Brazil, Germany and Argentina - in a Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray kind of way.

Comment

I have a feeling that it's going to be Portugal-Germany in the final.

Comment

ABSGC

Comment

Working...
                            X