Players who Excelled in 2010 but not in 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not great so far for Schweinsteiger and Mueller. The Dutch of course have collectively flopped, although I thought Wesley Sneijder still looked good.

On the flip side, Ronaldo looks better here than I've seen him in past tournaments. Özil has continued the excellence he showed in South Africa. Gerrard and Ribery look better, especially Gerrard who is a contender for Best XI of the Tournament. Ashley Cole remains arguably the best left-back on show. England clearly are fielding a better keeper and support striker this time.

Off the top of my head, Limbersky has had a better tournament than Cole (although I didn't see the full Sweden match) although Cole is just a bit off his usual form. Same with Schweinsteiger, I think but he has still been pretty effective and I am sure will get better and better.

Spain, on the whole, haven't been as good as 2010 yet

Comment

From what I've seen Schweinsteiger has looked decent. He certainly has disappointed.

Comment

Poland's Sebastien Boenisch has been the best left back in the tournament, for me.

Comment

I didn't really get that one. A broader point is how many good left backs there are in the tournament and how few good right backs.

Cole, Coentrao, Lahm and Jordi Alba have all really impressed me. There have been some clunkers too like Evra and Willems of course, but it is hard to think of who would be your right back in the Team of the Tournament so far.

Probably Debuchy for me, but he has been fine rather than excellent.

Comment

Switch one of those guys to right back?

Comment

No, that's not allowed.

Comment

Boateng at RB...??

Comment

dalliance wrote: I didn't really get that one. A broader point is how many good left backs there are in the tournament and how few good right backs.

Cole, Coentrao, Lahm and Jordi Alba have all really impressed me. There have been some clunkers too like Evra and Willems of course, but it is hard to think of who would be your right back in the Team of the Tournament so far.

Probably Debuchy for me, but he has been fine rather than excellent.
                  Theodor Gebre Selassie

Comment

Good call on Theodor Gebre Selassie. Boateng did well against Ronaldo, I felt, but he failed in his main job last night.

Comment

Boateng always looks a bit nervous to me; the kind of player who will give away a penalty, just like last night, or drop some kind of clanger.

Comment

Boeteng was poor last night I thought. He can't attack at all which is not necessarily a problem, but defensively he never looks confident (as Lodz has also mentioned). Plus Samaras outpaced him for the Greek goal.

I thought Selassie looked ok in a terrible Group A, but against Portugal he looked raw as anything.

Comment

Lahm, of course.

Sellasie had a bit of a time of it in the first game as well but generally he has been great

Comment

Maybe it's because I've followed him throughout his career and he's surpassing any expectation I could have had for him at present, but Joăo Pereira is having an incredible tournament for Portugal at right back. He's created a fantastic partnership with Nani and is replicating the great performances he produced for Braga a few seasons ago.

I mentioned before, the €4m Valencia paid for him before the tournament is looking like a fine bit of business on their part. I'd say his value has at least doubled during this tournament.

Comment

dalliance wrote: Boeteng was poor last night I thought. He can't attack at all which is not necessarily a problem, but defensively he never looks confident (as Lodz has also mentioned). Plus Samaras outpaced him for the Greek goal.

I thought Selassie looked ok in a terrible Group A, but against Portugal he looked raw as anything.
                              D, you asked for one to pick from all. I don't think Selassie has been fantastic. He's been one of the great surprises for me, but not fantastic. Without doubt the one I'd pick as right back, though.

Comment

Forlan was awesome in 2010. He's done fuck all in this tournament, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X