Sunday Night At The Olympic Stadium - QF4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I alone in thinking that England would've had a better chance against Spain? Have we ever beaten Italy in a tournament?

We'll do this bunch of mugs, they've no bottle - Italian tanks only got one gear innit, check under the sauce etc. etc.

Oh sorry, thought this was the ING-UR-LAND thread.

2-1 Italy aet.

Comment

As far as I can tell there have been just two meetings in tournaments.

1980 European Championships
      1990 World Cup

Two Italy wins, but they hosted both tournaments.

Comment

I guess the key is that nobody in their right mind is expecting England to win, but you wouldn't be that surprised if they did.

Comment

Are Italy really that strong a favourite to win?

As I said before on the UKR:ENG thread I think it's the tightest quarter-final with both teams in similar positions. Both of them came in to the tournament in a state of disarray and with weakened squads (for differing reasons) & low expectations.

Both coaches have had their players adapt to a style of play/formation to get through the group stage, both teams seem reliant on one midfielder creating while the rest hold and protect and both have a volatile forward who may prove a catalyst (in either a negative or positive way).

I would say it's a relatively evenly matched game, possibly the most likely to go to extra time and maybe penalties.

Comment

The teams might just be too similar for their own good, and would have preferred an opponent more likely to come at them (like Spain).

I think it might be like the 2006 QF v Portugal, who were similarly cagey and spoilerish.

Conversely, Italy have more shape, despite no pace, and that shape caused Spain problems. That might be enough. Roy needs luck bit did he use it up against Ukraine, when he actually needed it less?

Comment

This is the AFC Thread, then.

The outcome will be decided about half an hour before the kick-off, when my alarm goes and I'll (probably) go back to dreaming about John Terry ruffling my hair after my Ronnie Blake save in the last minute. If I do summon up the will power to get up, go out and watch it in a pub, then England's fate is sealed. I have watched all their Euro exits since Bobby Moore waved through West Germany at Wembley, and God doesn't love me any more now than when I was a nine year-old cherub.

So, er, c'mon England.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: Am I alone in thinking that England would've had a better chance against Spain? Have we ever beaten Italy in a tournament?
                Jonathan Wilson's history lesson.

Comment

I'm not as tense about this game as the Ukraine match. Probably because we've already exceeded expectations, and anything else is a bonus.
                  We're not expected to beat Italy, they are the best side we've faced so far, but then Roy has had a plan for every game so far, so he might have something up his sleeve for this game too.

Comment

I'd like to see England win. Preferably without Terry. But I'm not expecting it. Italy are nailed on for the final, aren't they. They've never lost a tournament match to either England or Germany...

Comment

And England have never won a knock out game against a World cup winning country outside of England. Omens aren't good.

But, you know, not expecting anything, just like wasn't exepecting to get through the group, so getting through will be nice.

Comment

A 0-0 or 1-1 draw in 90mins/ET and probably pens seems the likeliest result to me.

I hate England Italy games, I'll want a 1-0 win for Italy but will be most pleased when it is all over. Other Anglo Italians have said that either way they'll have a team in the semis, which is the way to see it for me, at least, even if I have moved to Italy first England second since the late 70s.

I'd play Giovinco. He's looking how I feel at the prospect of the match tonight. Still, I'll be watching it with good people so it won't be too bad, hopefully.

Comment

These teams are amazingly well-matched in the betting markets - it's the closest match I've seen all tournament.

It's currently at 3.05 for England, 3 for the draw, and 2.88 for Italy. I like the look of the England odds.

Comment

No idea who will win.

Like I said, Balotelli posting up at the top of the 18 will be tough for England to deal with.

Comment

The odds have tightened even further now. At this rate all three results will be at 3 by kick-off.

Comment

Having now watched England draw against South Africa at rugger, England win against the West Indies at cricket, I'm expecting, more than ever, to watch England lose this evening...

Comment

Sixmartletsandaseagull wrote: A 0-0 or 1-1 draw in 90mins/ET and probably pens seems the likeliest result to me.

I hate England Italy games, I'll want a 1-0 win for Italy but will be most pleased when it is all over. Other Anglo Italians have said that either way they'll have a team in the semis, which is the way to see it for me, at least, even if I have moved to Italy first England second since the late 70s.

I'd play Giovinco. He's looking how I feel at the prospect of the match tonight. Still, I'll be watching it with good people so it won't be too bad, hopefully.

Poor bugger. Doesn't he know Kenny always gets killed?

Comment

The teams:

England: Hart, Johnson, Terry, Lescott, Cole, Milner, Parker, Gerrard, Young, Rooney, Welbeck.

Italy: Buffon, Balzaretti, Abate, Barzagli, Bonucci, Marchisio, De Rossi, Montolivo, Pirlo, Balotelli, Cassano.

Comment

Both 4-4-2(ish) then.

Comment

Beltrano Carpinteiro wrote: Both 4-4-2(ish) then.
                                        A weird wingless 4-4-2 for Italy though. I guess Cassano will drop back, but otherwise it's only Pirlo there with any real creativity.

Comment

De Rossi is playing in midfield alongside him though, he is fairly creative.

Marchisio is a player spoken well of (the new Tardelli) but not one who has caught my eye at all so far.

Comment

The audio on the BBC broadcast is all over the fucking shop. Fuck England!

Comment

I've not been able to make my mind up who I want to win the tournament, with the teams left.
                                              I think it will be Portugal, as I mentioned in the prediction thread.
                                              I was leaning towards Italy due to the elegant Pirlo, but he's moved to Juventus so I wasn't sure. One option would be to not give a shit, except for England not to win. But the more I get to learn about Prandelli, the more I really like him, so Italy it is.

Comment

Haha and a quick piece about totonero, calciopoli et al, so nobody is in doubt about what stripe of foreign scoundrel we're coming up against tonight.

Comment

The thing about playing Pirlo behind a line of three central midfielders, though - surely a deep-lying playmaker who excels in long-range passing needs runners to aim at? None of those three other midfielders are likely to make too many bursts forward, Balotelli is just going to be strolling around, and Cassano is likely to drift backwards. I guess the full backs could prove to be the most important players for Italy.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X