Europe, or why Greece are doomed - QF2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know the first quarter-final thread isn't up yet, and this is the second one, but I just wanted to get in with the thread title before anyone else.

Germany should sail through this one. They may not score many, but they'll absolutely dominate the game I reckon, probably 66-34% possession, probably the most one-sided of the quarter finals.

Comment

It's Greece.

Anything is possible.

Comment

Merkel will be there, apparently, which sounds like a terrible idea.

Comment

Merkel seems to be entirely unaware of how she might come across outside Germany. Canvassing for Sarkozy, treating the entirety of the Greek nation like naughty schoolchildren and now attending this game. Doesn't she at least have any advisers?

Comment

I'd have gone for The ECB Derby, but yours is equally good.

Comment

This game is going to be on ITV, so I bet the whole match will be presented through the prism of "the winners could meet England in the semis"

Comment

Bryaniek wrote: It's Greece.

Anything is possible.
                Everything, including our very existence, is vanishingly improbable.

Comment

Wait, how is Merkel "coming across" by attending a game?

Comment

Yes, she will be sitting quietly watching a game of football with a polite smile on her face. She's not hosting a rally.

Comment

She will be sitting quietly watching a game of football with a polite smile on her face whilst a large section of the crowd shouts the worst abuse at her they can conceive of. She's not hosting a rally, she is trying to gain political cache by associating herself with herself a football team that she has little to do with.

Expanded it a bit.

Comment

I would have to think that if any team can match up well with Germany - this side of Spain - it must be the Greeks. They can defend headers and counter-attacks. Not sure if they can actually score on Germany, but they can certainly keep it close.

1 goal game or 0-0 tie.

Comment

Janik wrote: She will be sitting quietly watching a game of football with a polite smile on her face whilst a large section of the crowd shouts the worst abuse at her they can conceive of. She's not hosting a rally, she is trying to gain political cache by associating herself with herself a football team that she has little to do with.

Expanded it a bit.
                          How many heads of government have much to do with their national team? Honest question.

Also, does anyone, at all, take seriously a head of government/state's presence at a football match? I would think at most it could become a mock political football for a conspicuous non-attendance.

Comment

Karagounis missing for the Greeks is the killer. Not just because he scored that goal against Russia, but because he's the experienced leader in the middle of the park. The Greeks may fold more easily without him.

Comment

Brunislaw wrote:
                              Originally posted by Janik
                              She will be sitting quietly watching a game of football with a polite smile on her face whilst a large section of the crowd shouts the worst abuse at her they can conceive of. She's not hosting a rally, she is trying to gain political cache by associating herself with herself a football team that she has little to do with.

Expanded it a bit.
                              How many heads of government have much to do with their national team? Honest question.

Also, does anyone, at all, take seriously a head of government/state's presence at a football match? I would think at most it could become a mock political football for a conspicuous non-attendance.
                              Apparently, Merkel and Samaras will hold informal talks during the course of the match.

Comment

ad hOkocim wrote: Merkel seems to be entirely unaware of how she might come across outside Germany. Canvassing for Sarkozy, treating the entirety of the Greek nation like naughty schoolchildren and now attending this game. Doesn't she at least have any advisers?
                                Merkel answers only to the German voters, and a picture of her celebrating a German goal against Greece will look very good on the frond of Bild.

Comment

My thinking was it might be an extra motivational factor for the Greek team.

Comment

Brunislaw wrote: Wait, how is Merkel "coming across" by attending a game?
                                    You misunderstand, she's going to be the ref.

Comment

[/quote]Apparently, Merkel and Samaras will hold informal talks during the course of the match.[/quote]
                                      I guess it was about time that Georgios tried a new profession.

Comment

I expected from the outset of the tournament that Germany will be knocked out in the Q/F. I still expect that.

Greece vs England (or Italy) for the semis. That'll be exciting.

Comment

I'm hoping the Greeks do it, this should lead to some pretty spectacular scenes of celebration....

Comment

Brunislaw wrote: Wait, how is Merkel "coming across" by attending a game?
                                            It's not any game though is it? It's a game against Greece. If she was attending, I dunno, Germany against the Czech Republic or Holland or something, it wouldn't have any shades of extraneous meaning. But it's against Greece. And whether Angela Merkel bears any responsibility or not for the current German-Greek climate, she's still attending a match in that climate at which her presence will be very much an issue. The camera will cut to her far more often than they did to whatsisface the crown prince of Spain at that game he attended.

The jokes in Greece are already that she's attending because she's told Samaras how many goals Greece are to concede and she's watching to check compliance.

Comment

Hopefully it will go to extra time and Ms Merkel will come onto the pitch and address the german team who will then immediately win the game.

Comment

Yeah, it's not a great idea, really. I don't think it would be an issue except that Merkel likes to go all Pertini on us when Germany get a goal or two. Her hogging of the limelight when the Nationalmannschaft destroyed Argentina in Cape Town was so good that the scowls on the faces of high profile, but overshadowed, Hollywood beauties bettered those on Patagonian visages.

I could see her doing the twist if they score a few tomorrow.

Comment

A foretaste of Cameron shaking Terry's hand a week on Sunday?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X