Wayne Rooney

England QF penalty miss prediction thread

Only Wayne?

Comment

Rob Green

Comment

Should they get through, the likelihood is that they'll be playing Spain. Can't see that going to a shoot-out, so any penalty miss would most likely have to come from the ninety minutes. In that case, step forward - and blast the ball half-way to Mongolia - Steven Gerrard.

Comment

My Name Is Ian wrote: Should they get through, the likelihood is that they'll be playing Spain. Can't see that going to a shoot-out, so any penalty miss would most likely have to come from the ninety minutes. In that case, step forward - and blast the ball half-way to Mongolia - Steven Gerrard.
          I wrote a post the other day why I have come to not like Tiki-Taka, what the disturbing bit is. I don't know what happened to it, the post.
          Tiki-Taka is like when you was 7 years old playing footy with nine other mates on the perfect summer pitch closed down between the spring and autumn season, climbing the fence to get inside, the only option was to play with one in goal and two-a-side against that goal. Three corners = one penalty.
          While we wait for our turn, one lad brings out his magnifying glass to investigate the ants making ways in and out from a crack in the concrete behind the goal. Then he notices how if he narrows the beam he can burn them. We all get excited and forget how damn slow time moves when you wait for your turn to play football.
          We feel like gods behind the goal, like we can decide life or death, and intrigued by the science.
          When it's our turn to play we almost don't want to, short after the magnifying glass discovery. But we play, and we think we're gods again. Zico, Socrates, Eder.
          After a while, the excitement of burning ants wears off, and there's some disturbing feeling instead. We don't know what the meaning of morbid is when we're seven years old, but that's the sinking feeling nevertheless, and we could care less about ants, we want to score goals.

That's Tiki-Taka for me. Like eleven lads with magnifying glasses burning ants. And all you have to do to choke and kill it is to figure out who the lad for the day is with the magnifying glass, smash it, which Croatia did, even though we lost.

Comment

If England get to penalties against Spain in this hypothetical quarter-final they'll win.

If they then go to penalties against fucking fucking Portugal in the Semis, they might as well not bother taking them.

Comment

One of the bonuses this time, is that England's keeper is a semi-regular penalty taker.

For England

For Club

Comment

Terry, Gerrard and/or Carroll.

Comment

It's set up for Balotelli to miss the crucial one, assuming he doesn't get sent off.

But hang on, England's group was so shit that they surely cannot last 120 mins against even an average Italy (and I'd say this is a slightly above average Italy, but not great Italy)?

Italy also have an extra 24 hours rest.

Comment

Working...
                  X