Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Teams Decline to Participate in Euros?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious question: if you think you'll get hammered in front of a huge viewing audience, is there a case for abstaining?

I would imagine there would be a governing-body-bankrupting fine.

I think that such a hammering is less likely in a Euro finals game than a WC or a qualifying game

Comment

Nobody thinks they are going to get a hammering. I mean even in the unlikely event that Andorra qualified and were facing Germany in their first match, presumably they would believe they could defend their way to a mere 3-0 defeat

Comment

True, and one could argue that Scotland's failures in 1978 and 1998 were collectively worse than Ireland's here.

Comment

satchmo76 wrote: True, and one could argue that Scotland's failures in 1978 and 1998 were collectively worse than Ireland's here.
          1998 maybe. Certainly not 1978 where the only real abject performance was against Iran.

Comment

Ah yes, Iran. Saved by an own goal. As for 1998, wasn't that the drubbing by Morocco? Then there was elimination at the hands- or perhaps feet- of Costa Rica in 1990, and the nervous performance against New Zealand in '82, before two late goals made the shoreline respectable... I've had a lot of pleasure out of watching Scotland at World Cups over the years!
            Edit: scoreline not shoreline. Damn this predictive text!

Comment

ad hOkocim wrote: Nobody thinks they are going to get a hammering
              Don't be naive.

Comment

If we're talking bad teams in 1998, I think you'll find that the US was the worst of them all.

Comment

1974ddr wrote: Ah yes, Iran. Saved by an own goal. As for 1998, wasn't that the drubbing by Morocco? Then there was elimination at the hands- or perhaps feet- of Costa Rica in 1990, and the nervous performance against New Zealand in '82, before two late goals made the shoreline respectable... I've had a lot of pleasure out of watching Scotland at World Cups over the years!
                  A friend of IMP's from Scotland came with us to a DC United playoff match a while back when Alecko Eskandarian was still with the team. Upon seeing that he immediately decided "I'm rooting for DC certainly because his dad scored a goal for Scotland once."

Comment

Incandenza wrote: If we're talking bad teams in 1998, I think you'll find that the US was the worst of them all.
                    It turned out badly but I don't think we were really that bad. I mean, it all kind of fell apart for various reasons. It wasn't like we knew going in that we were hopelessly outclassed by Iran, for example.

Comment

Reed John wrote:
                      Originally posted by 1974ddr
                      Ah yes, Iran. Saved by an own goal. As for 1998, wasn't that the drubbing by Morocco? Then there was elimination at the hands- or perhaps feet- of Costa Rica in 1990, and the nervous performance against New Zealand in '82, before two late goals made the shoreline respectable... I've had a lot of pleasure out of watching Scotland at World Cups over the years!
                      A friend of IMP's from Scotland came with us to a DC United playoff match a while back when Alecko Eskandarian was still with the team. Upon seeing that he immediately decided "I'm rooting for DC certainly because his dad scored a goal for Scotland once."
                      My '78 Iran/Scotland connection was Iraj Danaifard. He was a popular player for the Tulsa Roughnecks and a hell of a nice guy. Our university team had a number of Iranian players and on occasion he'd come down and practice with us. Last I saw him would have been in the mid-80's when he owned a soccer equipment shot.

Comment

Working...
                      X