X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweden v England

Bugger.

Sweden v England

Having Oxlade-Chamberlain as a sub could be better than starting with him.

Comment

Sweden v England

Whenever I have seen Andy Carroll do anything good (not that often, but it has happened), it's actually been on the floor. He's not that good a header of the ball is he?

Comment

Sweden v England

I must be one of only a few England fans, or perhaps football fans in general, who actually rates Carroll. I mean, I don't think he'll have Messi looking over his shoulder anytime soon, but I think he's got a decent all-around game and don't see any reason why he shouldn't be effective in tonight's match.

Comment

Sweden v England

I feel it important to note that Wimbledon have SHAM 69 playing following their screening of Sweden v England at Kingsmeadow.

I find the idea of that gruesomely appealing. Is it true the band's name comes from faded graffiti celebrating Walton & Hersham's 1969 Athenian League title win?

Comment

Sweden v England

ad hOkocim wrote: He's not that good a header of the ball is he?
            He's not brilliant, no - but saying that, at Newcastle Kevin Nolan thrived on his knockdowns as part of the most one-dimensional attack outside Stoke.

Then again, at Newcastle he seemed to be not chronically inept on the deck, something that has flown right out of the window at LFC.

Comment

Sweden v England

ad hOkocim wrote: Whenever I have seen Andy Carroll do anything good (not that often, but it has happened), it's actually been on the floor. He's not that good a header of the ball is he?
              See Peter Crouch.

Comment

Sweden v England

As a matter of interest why is it officially "Sweden V England" and not the other way round. I'm not being nationalistic. It just seems counter-intuitive to go against alphabetical order when it's two teams on a neutral ground. The Wing Commander might have something to say about this surely futile attempt by UEFA to unsettle our boys.

Comment

Sweden v England

wittoner wrote: As a matter of interest why is it officially "Sweden V England" and not the other way round. I'm not being nationalistic. It just seems counter-intuitive to go against alphabetical order when it's two teams on a neutral ground. The Wing Commander might have something to say about this surely futile attempt by UEFA to unsettle our boys.
                  One team will be drawn as the “home” side, thereby getting the home dressing room; their name will therefore appear first on the fixture list. The draw is made at dawn and usually involves conkers, a small plastic bag and Marmyte (a knock-off version of Marmite). Most of that is true.

Comment

Sweden v England

As another matter of interest, which is barely related to this thread at all, but I don't feel like starting a new one, in each group there is one team which plays all its games in a single stadium. In this group for example it is Sweden. By what criteria was this decided? It seems totally random. (The others, to save you looking it up are the Czech Republic in group A, the Netherlands in group B, and Spain in group C)

Comment

Sweden v England

A bit of a throwback to the olden days that innit, when the seeded teams played all their games at the same stadium, which was used up until, I think, Euro 2000. Was certainly used at Euro 96. It's just at World Cups where it's become all over the place

Comment

Sweden v England

Comment

Sweden v England

Answers to this and other questions are in the Regulations of the UEFA European Football Championship:

In this instance, it's section 8.06

Group match schedule

Each team plays each of the other teams in the same group according to a league system (three points for a win, one point for a draw, no points for a defeat). The group matches are played according to the following schedule. The last two
                          matches in each group must both kick off at the same time. The first-named team is considered as the home team.
                          Then there's a schedule of the matches. We're team D4, I think.

I should add that there were a couple of changes to the regulations as well, here.

Comment

Sweden v England

Andy Carrol is too aggressive in the air and will conceede too many free kicks.

Comment

Sweden v England

Nocturnal Submission wrote: I must be one of only a few England fans, or perhaps football fans in general, who actually rates Carroll. I mean, I don't think he'll have Messi looking over his shoulder anytime soon, but I think he's got a decent all-around game and don't see any reason why he shouldn't be effective in tonight's match.
                              If you rate him so highly, you should write an open letter to Roman urging him to purchase the latest Out-of Form Liverpool striker for the blues.

Comment

Sweden v England

Tactical Genius wrote: Andy Carrol is too aggressive in the air and will conceede too many free kicks.
                                As long as he is up that end of the pitch that doesn't matter much does it? It's only if he gets sent off that it becomes an issue.

Comment

Sweden v England

Ooh Elmander in for Rosenberg. England will be trembling.

Shame Guidetti is injured.

Comment

Sweden v England

I don't know what the parents were thinking when they christened him 'Shame'.

Comment

Sweden v England

Tactical Genius wrote:
                                      Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission
                                      I must be one of only a few England fans, or perhaps football fans in general, who actually rates Carroll. I mean, I don't think he'll have Messi looking over his shoulder anytime soon, but I think he's got a decent all-around game and don't see any reason why he shouldn't be effective in tonight's match.
                                      If you rate him so highly, you should write an open letter to Roman urging him to purchase the latest Out-of Form Liverpool striker for the blues.
                                      Now, now Robert. The previous one's finding a bit of form at the moment so there's no vacancy at present.

Comment

Sweden v England

We'll chuck in a Downing for free if you like.

Comment

Sweden v England

Come on Sweden - let Wallander be your inspiration!

The Krister Henriksson version obviously not the crappy remake with Kenny Branagh.

Comment

Sweden v England

That Branagh version is totally bizarre. They are all speaking English, but driving around Skåne in Swedish police cars, reading Swedish newspapers and Swedish e-mails appear on their computer screens.

Comment

Sweden v England

Let's face it, we all know it's going to finish 1-1, but let's hope it at least proves an entertaining 90-minute formality.

Comment

Sweden v England

These two teams could almost be twins.

Tall mental blokes with ponytails up front.

Low-grade duffers supporting them.

Past-it defenders at the back.

The only difference is that their tall mental bloke with a ponytail is a world-class player and ours, er, isn't.

Comment

Sweden v England

I didn't realise that you were Swedish...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X