Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most Under-Used Phrases By Commentators (2012 Ed.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I believe it was Kant who said “Space and time are the framework within which the mind is constrained to construct its experience of reality”, however no part of the ball was within the quadrant so the ref should definitely have made them take that corner again."

"Thanks Mark."

Comment

"Excellent and skillful football from England tonight - England playing the game with an unseen joie de viere."

Or

"England's fans always demand skillful, beautiful, free-flowing football from their national team - it's part of the fan culture that they love good football so much that they would rather lose beautifully than win ugly."

Comment

Shearer: "The basic gist of Heidegger seems to be that Dasein (present self) is one mode of being always looking towards the future, and that since the world is atemporal (does not abide our mortal construct of time) aletheia is everywhere, upon phenomenological investigation. Thus, look at things as what they are, rather than what they have been or will be, and you'll be experiencing the world authentically. That's it. That's his big idea. German peasants understand a shovel better than an academic."

Lineker: "Thanks Al. So you do think that Germany are vulnerable to high balls?"

Shearer: "I know nothing about football except this: Andy Carroll is a top top top top top top top top top top top top top player...in fact his toppiness is infinite."

Lineker: "Interesting Al what's Carroll's cardinality?"

Shearer: "There's not a single German player I'd take over his English equivalent. But I'm a total mug so why are the BBC paying me so much money to listen to my half-baked, utterly ignorant buffoonery?"

Comment

"Now, Gary Neville.. your thoughts on that first half?"

"jolifanto bambla o falli bambla
          großiga m'pfa habla horem
          egiga goramen
          higo bloiko russula huju
          hollaka hollala
          anlogo bung
          blago bung blago bung
          bosso fataka
          ü üü ü
          schampa wulla wussa olobo
          hej tatta gorem
          eschige zunbada
          wulubu ssubudu uluwu ssubudu
          tumba ba-umf
          kusa gauma
          ba - umf"

Comment

...the lesser-known Mancunian wing of DADA...

Comment

"repudiating and mocking artistic and social conventions and emphasizing the illogical and absurd."

Comment

"does this look like spunk? it isn't, but does it look like spunk? cause if it does, I won't wear them."

Comment

"Nikica Jelavic must be regretting his move from Rangers. He's unlikely to get a Ramsdens Cup medal now."

Comment

"You know what the fellow said – in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance."

"You're right Peter, there was definitely a foul by De Rossi in the build up to the goal but the pass by Pirlo was sublime."

Comment

"Scott Parker slides a clinical through ball to Wellbeck, disecting the centre-backs perfectly, for Wellbeck to score."

Comment

"A slightly sloppy win there for the Germans, just scraping past their opponents yet again by a singe goal. In fact they seem so reluctant to properly kill off inferior teams, one might even call them inefficient."

(in fact it was Robbie Mustoe on ESPN's turn today to call the Germans "efficient". This team? I really don't think so.)

Comment

"Another world, another day, another dawn.

The early morning's thinnest sliver of light appeared silently.

Several billion trillion tons of superhot exploding hydrogen nuclei rose slowly above the horizon and managed to look small, cold and slightly damp.

There is a moment in every dawn when light floats, there is the possibility of magic. Creation holds its breath.

The moment passed as it regularly did on Squornshellous Zeta, without incident.

The mist clung to the surface of the marshes. The swamp trees were grey with it, the tall reeds indistinct. It hung motionless like held breath.

Nothing moved.

There was silence.

The sun struggled feebly with the mist, tried to impart a little warmth here, shed a little light there, but clearly today was going to be just another long haul across the sky.

Nothing moved.

Again, silence.

Nothing moved.

Silence.

Very often on Squornshellous Zeta, whole days would go on like this, and this was indeed going to be one of them."

"That's right, Alan, this game really needs a goal."

Comment

Allan Green:
                            Football's great, isn't it? Isn't it, though? It just fills your soul with wonderment - and God, I love my job; I am just so lucky to be in this position, in a football stadium, PAID to watch and talk about a beautiful spor--... but enough about me, back to the action.

Comment

Lawro:
                              I've been wanting to say this for a while now. It's been weighing me down and I don't feel I've really been giving of my best as a result, so I think it's time to come clean... For the last 20 years, I've been a contract killer. You know that Jason Bourne? Based on me.

Comment

Alexi LALAS: "[The German midfield employs] a technique of transient passage through varied ambiances. Entails playful-constructive behavior and awareness of psychogeographical effects; which completely distinguishes it from the classical notions of the journey and the stroll... One or more persons... drop their usual motives for movement and let themselves be drawn by the attractions of the terrain and the encounters they find there."

Michael BALLACK:

Comment

Working...
                                X