Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most Under-Used Phrases By Commentators (2012 Ed.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's one we made earlier

"You know Clive, I reckon if you stood Antonia Cassano behind Mark Van Bommel and Van Bommel behind Richard Dunne and Dunne behind Cristiano Ronaldo you'd have a fair approximation of The Ascent Of Man."

Thought this was going to be something along the lines of...

'And you have to say, Ireland's midfield is definitely giving the Spanish a lesson in tiki taka now'

Comment

I tell you what, Andy, Terry shouldn't be here.

Comment

Kharkivorous Vulgaris wrote: Here's one we made earlier
        Link to the memory hole, sorry. Not that starting again without the weight of OTF's considerable history is all that bad a thing.

"So, on the eve of The Great Depression II: Electric Boogaloo, how important is all of this bread-and-circuses, really?"

Comment

Link should work now

Comment

"SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP! I SWEAR IF YOU MAKE ONE MORE COMMENT I'M GOING TO RAM THIS MICROPHONE DOWN YOUR FUCKING THROAT YOU FUCKING USELESS PRICK! Schweinsteiger for Germany, passes to Muller..."

Jonathan Pearce to Mark Lawrenson last night.

Comment

This one rarely gets an outing;

"And England are the champions of Europe..!"

Comment

"You can only really feel sorry for the opposition fullbacks... James Milner is dancing past them so often he's really starting to make them look a little foolish."

"Ashley Young, there, ploughing his way forward, tacklers bouncing off him on every side... - one of the last of the old-style hardmen."

"The referee tonight is Howard Webb - and obviously, I have no intention of pissing you off by prattling on about him as if you might be interested in him through some kind of hopelessly misplaced patriotism, so that's the last time I'll mention the twat by name."

Comment

"Heitinga there, immediately pulling his opponent to his feet and apologising profusely for that reckless challenge."

"I'm not actually all that clear on the laws of the game, so I'll reserve judgment on the referee's decision this time."

"Balotelli. Mario Balotelli. A football player, and so as a football commentator I will only mention what he does out here on the pitch that is relevant to today's game."

Comment

You'll remember x from his time at y in the Barclay's Premier League

Comment

Damn your eyes, Dick Turpin, I'll see you hang for this!

Comment

"The official behind the goal has really helped with that decision"

"We're not showing tonight's game on the BBC, but don't worry you can watch it on ITV"

Comment

"I counted 20 passes there from England in that move"

"The English Supporters Band there really add to the atmosphere"

Comment

A compact subspace of a Hausdorff space is closed.

Comment

No, pretty sure Taylor Twellman mentioned that on ESPN today.

Comment

"It's quite easy to work out who's going to qualify for the next round"

"I love you"

Comment

"Our fathers have sinned, and are not; and we have borne their iniquities. Servants have ruled over us: there is none that doth deliver us out of their hand. We gat our bread with the peril of our lives because of the sword of the wilderness. Our skin was black like an oven because of the terrible famine. They ravished the women in Zion, and the maids in the cities of Judah. Princes are hanged up by their hand: the faces of elders were not honoured. They took the young men to grind, and the children fell under the wood. The elders have ceased from the gate, the young men from their musick. The joy of our heart is ceased; our dance is turned into mourning. The crown is fallen from our head: woe unto us, that we have sinned!"

"That's right, John"

Comment

"Let's go to our match commentators now, Brian Blessed and Dalek Caan..."

Comment

Ha ha.

"the madman bum and angel beat in Time, unknown, yet putting down here
                                      what might be left to say in time come after death,
                                      and rose reincarnate in the ghostly clothes of jazz in the goldhorn shadow
                                      of the band and blew the suffering of America's naked mind for love
                                      into an eli eli lamma lamma sabacthani saxophone cry that shivered
                                      the cities down to the last radio
                                      with the absolute heart of the poem of life butchered out of their own bodies
                                      good to eat a thousand years."

"I think that's right Simon, he's just so good at peeling off his marker and giving himself that extra half a yard."

Comment

For viewers in France:

"Alors, Wenger, tu vas dire quelque chose qui nous interesse ce soir, oui ou merde ! Car franchement tu commences à me faire chier avec tes eeuuuhhs et tes longs silences, et ça me casse les couilles ! Je te jure, si ça continue comme ça ce soir, j'vais te faire une ordonnance et une sévère ! J'vais te montrer qui c'est Bixente ! Aux quat' coins d'Paris qu'on va te retrouver, éparpillé par petits bouts, façon puzzle ! Moi, quand on m'en fait trop j'correctionne plus : j'dynamite, j'disperse, j'ventile !"

"... Oui... il a la capacité de courir vite, Oxlade-Chamberlain..."

Comment

"As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding. Like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood". That tragic and intractable phenomenon which we watch with horror on the other side of the Atlantic but which there is interwoven with the history and existence of the States itself, is coming upon us here by our own volition and our own neglect. Indeed, it has all but come. In numerical terms, it will be of American proportions long before the end of the century. Only resolute and urgent action will avert it even now. Whether there will be the public will to demand and obtain that action, I do not know. All I know is that to see, and not to speak, would be the great betrayal."

"Absolutely right, Peter. The ref's got to have seen that. He's totally within his rights to protest!"

Comment

"With the abolition of private property, then, we shall have true, beautiful, healthy Individualism. Nobody will waste his life in accumulating things, and the symbols for things. One will live. To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."

"Absolutely, Clive. He's got to take a shot from there."

Comment

"We'll be joining Jonathan Pierce for the final time this tournament as he's been recalled to England to provide commentary on Mrs. Thatcher's state funeral, of course."

Comment

"All this football. It's a load of old nonsense really isn't it?"

Comment

Quite for no reason I'm here for the season and high as a kite.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X