The appalling punditry thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A thread is required to complain about the inevitably infuriating, ill-informed and complacent punditry we will have to endure for the next few weeks.

To kick things off, a reminder of how it was last time.

For me, that's an excellent bit of vision from young Hofzinser there.

Comment

Yes he's really stuck that into the mixer early doors

Comment

He's got the thread up so quickly, and if there's anything that will cause problems every time, it's pace, pace, pace.

Comment

David Pleat will be pleased that the Czechoslovak Republic have qualified.

Comment

Motson will be delighted the Soviets are in it as well.

Comment

Nesta Makhno wrote:
              David Pleat will be pleased that the Czechoslovak Republic have qualified.
              On Five Live tonight, Pleat predicted Group A would be boring because of the presence of "Russia, Poland, Greece and the Republic of... Czech Republic" So he's improving. Increment by increment.

Comment

Darren Gough was particularly unimpressed to be broadcasting from Lille on his way to Poland.
                He must have forgotten he is being paid to go on holiday, watch football & make a noise come out of his head on the radio until you switch over.
                Cued up by the excellent Hawksbee & Jacobs thus-
                What's it (Lille) like then Darren?
                Well...it was a bit quiet, not like London. There's nice architecture, if you like that sort of thing.
                I don't. - he guffed.

Comment

Darren Gough appears to be a complete twat. Rather a shame, because he was a good player for 3 years.

Comment

Etienne wrote:
                    Darren Gough appears to be a complete twat. Rather a shame, because he was a good player for 3 years.
                    Unfortunately he seems to be the model a lot of ex-players seem to want to follow.
                    You know, the 'personality' or 'character'.
                    Even on Talksport, with your expectations suitably lowered he stands out as a charmless dimwit.
                    I hope someone has picked up Chris 'Pelanty' Waddle who I always find to be insightful & engaging.

Comment

I note the linked Scotsman article makes the "It's not just ITV" point. For me, one of the most horrible things in the last WC was the Beeb being worse than ITV. I have no confidence that they'll turn it round.

Comment

Exhibit 1 of this year's ill-informed punditry comes from Mark Lawrenson (you just need to watch the first seven seconds).

Comment

What about Alan Hansen? Proof that he's been phoning it in for years is not necessary, granted, but of the 4 teams he predicted to go far in the tournament - Spain, Germany, Holland and Portugal - 3 of them come from the same group. The BBC quickly amended his predictions so that Portugal was erased. Therefore, every other pundit has 4 prediction. Hansen only has 3.

In related punditry news, I also read that the BBC have tightened their budget to the extent that they will all stay in Salford.

Comment

delicatemoth wrote:
                            I note the linked Scotsman article makes the "It's not just ITV" point. For me, one of the most horrible things in the last WC was the Beeb being worse than ITV. I have no confidence that they'll turn it round.
                            Ach. Nothing the BBC did came close to that exercise in fuckwittery before the USA-England game where Chiles basically sneered at the television and told the Americans to run along and play baseball (which is really rounders, anyway).

Mind you, I might have taken it more personally than most. But Klinsmann's presence alone ensured the USA weren't patronized like that and generally the other pundits were bland but not condescending.

The BBC are lazy. ITV makes me want to throw things at the television.

Comment

Already bored of this 'Ha ha, look at us, promising not to talk up England's chances' palaver. I bet they're all secretly lifting up enormous England flags and waving them at each other when they're off camera.

Comment

Squeaked out as his testicles zoom past his eyeballs and through the gap where his brain never was;

"It's a red Russian revolution!" as the Russians score again.

Peter Drury.

Thread over.

Comment

In a way US TV has better analysis because there's no baggage from pre-EPL players moaning about the modern game being shit, like football Fred Truemans.

Comment

According to Barry Glendenning on the Guardian podcast, Alan Shearer has both done some preparation and appeared animated and enthusiastic.

Is this true?

Comment

Hofzinser wrote:
                                      Exhibit 1 of this year's ill-informed punditry comes from Mark Lawrenson (you just need to watch the first seven seconds).
                                      Not available here... what did he say?

Actually, do I really want to know?

Comment

Why bother watch the real thing when you can watch this instead

Comment

Every time a striker misses, the commentator asks, "Will that come back to haunt him later?" It's annoying when done every time.

Comment

I don't know if anyone living in Germany is reading this thread, but I've just been watching the first game on ZDF.

Olli Kahn is the pundit, who seems to generally talk sense, but they've set up the most bizarre set. They've constructed some sort of pier on the seafrontt, resembling a helicopter landing pad. Kahn and the presaenter are standing in the middle of it. Twenty metres behind them is a giant screen in the middle of the sea.

Where are they and what's it all about?

Comment

Not available here... what did he say?
                                              He's previewing Greece and how he rates their chances. His first sentence is: "We all remember Greece losing their first game in 2004..."

Comment

Stumpy...

Comment

Cheers--that explains the where at least.

But what happens when it rains?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X